IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Coconut Died :(

clevelandtropicsmaybe

Well I guess the predictions came true. My coconut was not able to even survive half way through the winter. My best guess was that it just didn’t get enough warmth for too long to survive. Every 2 weeks a leaf would turn brown and this continued until the plant was no more. Also when I was getting rid of it, the whole plant separated from the nut. Does this sound consistent with a chilly coconut? I also wanted to keep the wooden part of the nut and see what was inside and what’s inside is pretty interesting.26461A42-FFBF-4E36-A15B-C577A9E7EE96.thumb.jpeg.c4d4cbd4b4ade8554b4494f982cd2848.jpegA2A14A5A-F6F2-40B7-93B2-06B39CD40ACC.thumb.jpeg.0c01b77b34832ec5b67cb56e5b15e0c9.jpeg RIP Coco 2019-2020

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Those things are sensitive to cold weather.  I almost lost a potted 8 ft coco when exposed temporarily to 26F.  They also don’t like persistent temps below 50F

• Like 1

Just now, PlantDad said:

Where were u overwintering it?

Next to a heater and a south facing window on the first floor. Our house is, in my opinion, colder than average, but only around 60-65 degrees, not too low.

Just now, jimmyt said:

Those things are sensitive to cold weather.

Very sensitive apparently. One thing that I noticed was some root rot, but I'm not sure if this happened before or after the plant died.

Coconuts need high heat ( 80F, preferably 90F+) and tons of light and/or sunlight. Long periods of cool temps, i.e., 60-65F, in a dark, dry northern house will kill it. It was telling you so while you watched it die one leaf at a time. For the next one try to keep it under a grow light in a place that stays above 80 during with humidity over 50-60% during the day. Coconuts make poor houseplants.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have had better luck with coconuts in the North, than other, more commonly available palms.  In the house, I  cannot seem to succeed with Majesty palms or even Christmas palms (Adonidia), although my Majesty overwintered in a chilly garage seems to succeed.  The common 'Areca palm' (Dypsis l.) is another one that is hard to overwinter for me..., can't keep up with their watering and sun needs. My coconut, I overwinter in a warm basement under florescent lights and temps ranging from 70-78 degees.  It's warm and humid down there.  May not be the easiest for the average home, but there are others out there that are even worse. From some time in Spring till Autumn, all the palms go outside.  Coconuts, need full, unobstructed SUN, and I think it helps with the overwintering.

Edited by oasis371

20 hours ago, clevelandtropicsmaybe said:

Next to a heater and a south facing window on the first floor. Our house is, in my opinion, colder than average, but only around 60-65 degrees, not too low.

That consistent cooler temp is probably what did it. 

My majesty palm does fine under the same conditions. I don’t really have a big budget for overwintering palms so I think I might look at some fan palms. I am interested in Mediterranean and Mexican fan palms but those are very hard to find in Ohio.

"I am interested in Mediterranean and Mexican fan palms but those are very hard to find in Ohio."

Washingtonias are ridiculously cheap and EASY to grow from seed.  There are on line sources for the seed.  I LOVE my Washingtonias! I bought a bunch of them several years ago as they were being sold in local supermarket, but I have also grown them from seed (but you're right, they are not that available).  Probably because they don't make the best "indoor" palms.  They grow fast, are quite prickly and take up SPACE! Mine are in tubs that overwinter in a big garage then go outside (from March 1st till December 1st). I prefer Washingtonia robusta and the hybrid filibuster..., W. filifera is better for drier climates, these recent humidity and excessive rains There are lots of palms that you can grow in your chilly conditions though! Kentia (Howea), Rhapis (Lady Palms), Livistona (Chinese fan palms), Queen palms (Syagrus), even Chamaedorea (bamboo palms) are quite chill tolerant.  Mediterranean fans are another species that I just don't see as "houseplants", too prickly.

Edited by oasis371

On 2/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, oasis371 said:

"I am interested in Mediterranean and Mexican fan palms but those are very hard to find in Ohio."

Washingtonias are ridiculously cheap and EASY to grow from seed.  There are on line sources for the seed.  I LOVE my Washingtonias! I bought a bunch of them several years ago as they were being sold in local supermarket, but I have also grown them from seed (but you're right, they are not that available).  Probably because they don't make the best "indoor" palms.  They grow fast, are quite prickly and take up SPACE! Mine are in tubs that overwinter in a big garage then go outside (from March 1st till December 1st). I prefer Washingtonia robusta and the hybrid filibuster..., W. filifera is better for drier climates, these recent humidity and excessive rains There are lots of palms that you can grow in your chilly conditions though! Kentia (Howea), Rhapis (Lady Palms), Livistona (Chinese fan palms), Queen palms (Syagrus), even Chamaedorea (bamboo palms) are quite chill tolerant.  Mediterranean fans are another species that I just don't see as "houseplants", too prickly.

Have you considered Sabals?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:38 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Have you considered Sabals?

Funny story, my whole palm interest started with sabals. A couple years ago when I was visiting Florida I dug up some "grass" which I had a hunch were sabal seedlings and a small (voluntary and unwanted) queen palm and put them in cups. We drove them back up to Ohio and I killed them because I knew nothing about how to grow potted plants at the time (like that pots need holes). The queen died within a month but the sabals lasted a few months. Anyway at that point I was interested and got my majesties and a cycad. Fast-forward to 2 months ago and I went back, but we flew instead of driving, so I couldn't bring any plants back, but I totally forgot I brought back a Sabal seed in my backpack! I found it in my backpack today and put it in water and it sank so that's a good sign! I have no idea how to germinate sabals or if my seed is even still viable so any advice is appreciated. Thank you for reminding me!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Coconuts need high heat ( 80F, preferably 90F+) and tons of light and/or sunlight. Long periods of cool temps, i.e., 60-65F, in a dark, dry northern house will kill it. It was telling you so while you watched it die one leaf at a time. For the next one try to keep it under a grow light in a place that stays above 80 during with humidity over 50-60% during the day. Coconuts make poor houseplants.

I agree completely

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

@clevelandtropicsmaybe, WELCOME!

Sorry to hear about the coconut, but you'll get good advice here.

Generally, water very sparingly in the winter, because of the low light.

So, where abouts in Cleveland are you? I'm from there; I ran from Euclid to California in 1985.

Also see my PM (private message).

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hello, thanks for the offer!

Right now I'm stuck in Bay Village. Wish it was warmer here!

26 minutes ago, clevelandtropicsmaybe said:

Hello, thanks for the offer!

Right now I'm stuck in Bay Village. Wish it was warmer here!

Bay Village is nice; a lot nicer than I Euclid, I think.

It took forever to warm up in the spring, I remember. But the lake keeps it lingering a bit in the fall, though never long enough for my taste.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yup, that lake breeze can be annoying, but we do get a lot less lake effect snow here than in Euclid.