IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

looking for washingtonia seeds

Latinmtl67

35 minutes ago, Latinmtl67 said:

Hello Everyone :)
I was wondering if any of you have some washingtonia robusta or filifera seeds to share.

Thank you :)

This link may help: Washingtonia filifera - eBay - Ships Worldwide

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I would be happy to send you some filifera seeds. I don’t know if your customs will allow them through or not. I sent some to Spain A while back and they said no. 

On 2/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, RyManUtah said:

I don’t know if your customs will allow them through or not.

I sent Alejandro some W. filibusta seeds back in 2016 and he told me that he received them no problem.  I guess his seedlings didn't survive or he just wants more!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 2/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, RyManUtah said:

I would be happy to send you some filifera seeds. I don’t know if your customs will allow them through or not. I sent some to Spain A while back and they said no. 

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some pure filifera, I've got a few mixes from Fusca already, thank you! 

46 minutes ago, RJ said:

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some pure filifera, I've got a few mixes from Fusca already, thank you! 

I've had some luck so far with the Moapa variety as well as the two that @TexasColdHardyPalms sent.  A few have acclimated relatively successfully and a few already perished from that small amount of rain we got a few nights ago.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

I've had some luck so far with the Moapa variety as well as the two that @TexasColdHardyPalms sent.  A few have acclimated relatively successfully and a few already perished from that small amount of rain we got a few nights ago.

Good info. I’m not familiar with the Moapa variety specifically. I’ve got a list of palms I need to get from TCHP when spring finally gets here. just been a really wet winter up here . Mild but wet. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RJ said:

Good info. I’m not familiar with the Moapa variety specifically. I’ve got a list of palms I need to get from TCHP when spring finally gets here. just been a really wet winter up here . Mild but wet. 

Yes, that's a good idea to get them from TCHP if you want pure filifera since he knows the seed source from habitat.  There's plenty of mature 'filifera-ish' Washingtonias around town that could be true filifera but plenty of mutts around too so who knows for sure?  

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

3 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Yes, that's a good idea to get them from TCHP if you want pure filifera since he knows the seed source from habitat.  There's plenty of mature 'filifera-ish' Washingtonias around town that could be true filifera but plenty of mutts around too so who knows for sure?  

I agree.  You have to deal with reputable sellers.

In my case, mine were harvested from a palm just off of I-15: Google Maps - Parent Washingonia filifera

Lakeland, FL