IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms recovering after Australian fires

Mangosteen

Looks like some of the palm trees that were burned in the fires are coming back. What kind of palms are they?

oz palms.jpg

oz palms 2.jpg

oz palms 3.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mangosteen said:

Looks like some of the palm trees that were burned in the fires are coming back. What kind of palms are they?

oz palms.jpg

oz palms 2.jpg

oz palms 3.jpg

How neat!  Seems this last one was only a spear at time of the fire.

It looks fantastic.

Ironically, they're getting a lot of nitrogen.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

That is a real 'Palms in Habitat' shot. I guess that they would be Livistona australis.

• Like 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Very cool. Kinda beautiful how in all that black and grey the green of life still prevails 

• Like 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

1 hour ago, gtsteve said:

That is a real 'Palms in Habitat' shot. I guess that they would be Livistona australis.

Any idea what part of Australia these photos are from? 

I don't know, but it is identical to some shots that I took last year in the Royal National Park near Sydney.

However it could be anywhere after a fire through any Aussie eucalyptus bush it all looks the same to me.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

3 hours ago, Neil C said:

That fire must have gone through pretty quickly otherwise those smaller ones would been cooked through.

Regards Neil

Having had opportunities to walk through burn areas after a few fires where i grew up back in California, would agree that the fire had to pass through pretty quickly here. No doubt it was intense, just not hot enough to incinerate everything in it's path..  Areas where intensity is highest look like moonscapes and often struggle to repopulate afterwards.. Still, surprised to see some really small seedling- sized specimens pushing new growth among the bigger, more established ones though. 

While there are obvious differences at a closely focused level, It amazes me how similar the ecology in fire prone regions of Australia are to such areas in California.. Both regions possess a high degree of plant species that not only evolved with/ depend on fire, but also produce flammable chemicals. Will be really interested to see if palms in effected areas there have a reproductive boom in the next year or two, let alone what rare native plants turn up in droves to start the overall re-colonization process.