IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Opinions - Washingtonia, stay or go?

AZPalms

6 minutes ago, Jeff985 said:

That’s funny. I didn’t like them at first either. The first few I saw were planted in the open all alone. But when I saw one planted in a landscape with a bunch of green palms and red ti plants, the large bizzy with its massive gray canopy really stood out and made a statement. After that I had to have one... Which led to another one. 

lol i think that may just happen with my queens. Although to some they are weeds, up here, they are the most tropical-looking palm you can find up here. The only reason i have queens is because lowes had them. Most common palm up here is sabal, then you have dates scattered around the area. A washingtonia here or there along with some fan palms, also sagos everywhere! What you dont find is a queen and there are 5 in my neighborhood. Someone down the street has 3 in their front yard, and i have 2, one in front and one in the back. All are very young.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

They look great in the skyline, but they are publicly planted everywhere here in California so better to let it be the cities maintenance problem rather than mine. I get to enjoy them without the hassle. Like in this sunset pic below I took a couple weeks ago.

Long ago right after I got married I lived in a condo complex. I was right up against the pool area. My patio was literally in the pool area. There was a couple dozen or so in the pool area. One time the tree trimmers we’re doing their job (poorly apparently) and a falling leaf hit the ground and then banged into my window and broke it.

Sadly, much worse than a broken window, about 5 years ago or so a tree trimmer fell to his death at my local golf n’ stuff trimming one of these. I can’t remember the story exactly but I think I remember hearing the whole crown basically snapped off where he had his support strap. To make it worse I think his son worked with him and saw it happen.

Sorry to be such a downer. Enjoy the pic. :mellow:

4BEB0AAC-BDA6-42AE-A9AA-E991F3084831.thumb.jpeg.7ce941895343e20e02bc8ae03fee45c1.jpeg

40 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

They look great in the skyline, but they are publicly planted everywhere here in California so better to let it be the cities maintenance problem rather than mine. I get to enjoy them without the hassle. Like in this sunset pic below I took a couple weeks ago.

Long ago right after I got married I lived in a condo complex. I was right up against the pool area. My patio was literally in the pool area. There was a couple dozen or so in the pool area. One time the tree trimmers we’re doing their job (poorly apparently) and a falling leaf hit the ground and then banged into my window and broke it.

Sadly, much worse than a broken window, about 5 years ago or so a tree trimmer fell to his death at my local golf n’ stuff trimming one of these. I can’t remember the story exactly but I think I remember hearing the whole crown basically snapped off where he had his support strap. To make it worse I think his son worked with him and saw it happen.

Sorry to be such a downer. Enjoy the pic. :mellow:

4BEB0AAC-BDA6-42AE-A9AA-E991F3084831.thumb.jpeg.7ce941895343e20e02bc8ae03fee45c1.jpeg

That there reminds of Top Gun.

Yes, I was alive back then and in San Diego 

I still prefer other palms.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 2/14/2020 at 4:00 AM, AZPalms said:

I have little motivation to take it out, other than the future trimming requirements.

Looks like a nice, thriving palm to me.  I would leave it if the only downside is future trimming requirements.

Edited by awkonradi

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

2 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Looks like a nice, thriving palm to me.  I would leave it if the only downside is future trimming requirements.

This, as I stated before, this palm can even be attractive with minimal grooming. But again, that goes with the context of where and why the palm is planted. 

robustas grow too tall too fast and have a small crown.   Also if you want to trim them, you will need a bucket truck.  Landscapers can charge up to 500 each to trim them.  In the distance, they can look pretty good mostly against a sunset, but that will be the view of others not the owner.  Your view will be straight up and precious little shade they throw.  And enjoy those socal washies while you can, they are dying off and wont be replaced as a matter of public policy.  More non palms are their plan in socal.  Pensacola area would be good mule palm area, more tropical looking than queens, less issues with mineral deficiency and water, and eventually self shedding.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

4 hours ago, Jocam019 said:

This, as I stated before, this palm can even be attractive with minimal grooming.

As the Gerg demonstrated with his sunset photo, they can be attractive in the right setting.  Maybe minimal grooming might work, but it takes just as much effort to do minimal as maximum grooming when they get tall.  That is why one so often sees them butchered when they are professionally trimmed.  If not trimmed and in a garden setting they can become a nuisance like my neighbor's.  Those seeds hav e been dropping for weeks now and yet it still hardly looks like they have dropped any when looking up.  They are close enough to my yard that I can touch them over the fence.  When the seeds start popping up, it looks like I have distributed grass seed the sprouts are so thick.  So unless you plan to keep up the continual removal of inflorescence, take it out now.

20200216-104A5664.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Seems as you have already fallen for the thing.  Dig it up and put it in a pot where it will grow much more slowly and you can just roll it away once you get tired of it.

Edited by mlovecan
  • Like 1

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

4 minutes ago, mlovecan said:

Seems as you have already fallen for the thing.  Dig it up and put it in a pot where it will grow much more slowly and you can just roll it away once you get tired of it.

There’s no putting this girl in a pot. While I hate killing palms, I don’t really want want a telephone pole in the yard. Although I think this is a hybrid most likely from my neighbors tree, which isn’t overly tall but still. 

I’m leaning towards death. Time to be determined.  

8F469002-3001-497F-A754-EFF8BD6F0069.jpeg

1 minute ago, AZPalms said:

I’m leaning towards death. Time to be determined.  

Now you're talking sense!

• Like 2

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea