Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DAVEinMB

Phoenix Theophrasti Fronds Closing

Recommended Posts

DAVEinMB

Is this anything to be concerned about? Up until a few days ago this frond looked normal. My trachies did this when they weren't getting enough water but it's been pretty rainy lately. The images are of 2 different fronds, just wanted to include a normal looking one for comparison. As a side note, the brown spot on the closed up frond has been there since that frond started pushing out. 

20200212_100332.jpg

20200212_100337.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve in Florida

It's showing signs of stress.  I've seen that occur on P. theophrasti during extended cold temperatures, heavy winter rains, and drought.  It should be fine unless newest fronds collapse.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
40 minutes ago, Steve in Florida said:

It's showing signs of stress.  I've seen that occur on P. theophrasti during extended cold temperatures, heavy winter rains, and drought.  It should be fine unless newest fronds collapse.

We recently got a ton of rain so that could be the culprit. Awesome, thanks for the insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB

I treated with peroxide, should I start cutting away until I find healthy tissue or let it be?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
48 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I treated with peroxide, should I start cutting away until I find healthy tissue or let it be?

I had a small one do that last spring. It wasn't even exposed to cold as it was in a pot and brought it in when temps where below freezing. My hunch is it's been all the rain we've had and being newly platted. Pour some peroxide down the hatch and see if you can make something to keep the moisture out off it. 

Edit: Is see you already treated it. I wouldn't cut yet. 

 

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
9 minutes ago, RJ said:

I had a small one do that last spring. It wasn't even exposed to cold as it was in a pot and brought it in when temps where below freezing. My hunch is it's been all the rain we've had and being newly platted. Pour some peroxide down the hatch and see if you can make something to keep the moisture out off it. 

Edit: Is see you already treated it. I wouldn't cut yet. 

 

10-4, thanks. I'll give it a temporary canopy for the time being. Would heat from c9 Christmas lights help any? I still have some wrapped around it just haven't had them on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
2 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

10-4, thanks. I'll give it a temporary canopy for the time being. Would heat from c9 Christmas lights help any? I still have some wrapped around it just haven't had them on

We don't have any cold weather foretasted that would effect it so I wouldn't bother. Mine did it in April of last year I think. It fully recovered but was obviously slowed down by it. My other sitting right next to it was unfazed.... These were small seedlings from @kinzyjrthat just went pinnate last summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
1 minute ago, RJ said:

We don't have any cold weather foretasted that would effect it so I wouldn't bother. Mine did it in April of last year I think. It fully recovered but was obviously slowed down by it. My other sitting right next to it was unfazed.... These were small seedlings from @kinzyjrthat just went pinnate last summer. 

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve in Florida
3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I treated with peroxide, should I start cutting away until I find healthy tissue or let it be?

No, that should always be used as a last resort.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×