IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Theophrasti Fronds Closing

DAVEinMB

Is this anything to be concerned about? Up until a few days ago this frond looked normal. My trachies did this when they weren't getting enough water but it's been pretty rainy lately. The images are of 2 different fronds, just wanted to include a normal looking one for comparison. As a side note, the brown spot on the closed up frond has been there since that frond started pushing out. 

20200212_100332.jpg

20200212_100337.jpg

It's showing signs of stress.  I've seen that occur on P. theophrasti during extended cold temperatures, heavy winter rains, and drought.  It should be fine unless newest fronds collapse.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Steve in Florida said:

It's showing signs of stress.  I've seen that occur on P. theophrasti during extended cold temperatures, heavy winter rains, and drought.  It should be fine unless newest fronds collapse.

We recently got a ton of rain so that could be the culprit. Awesome, thanks for the insight!

48 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I treated with peroxide, should I start cutting away until I find healthy tissue or let it be?

I had a small one do that last spring. It wasn't even exposed to cold as it was in a pot and brought it in when temps where below freezing. My hunch is it's been all the rain we've had and being newly platted. Pour some peroxide down the hatch and see if you can make something to keep the moisture out off it. 

Edit: Is see you already treated it. I wouldn't cut yet. 

Edited by RJ

9 minutes ago, RJ said:

I had a small one do that last spring. It wasn't even exposed to cold as it was in a pot and brought it in when temps where below freezing. My hunch is it's been all the rain we've had and being newly platted. Pour some peroxide down the hatch and see if you can make something to keep the moisture out off it. 

Edit: Is see you already treated it. I wouldn't cut yet. 

10-4, thanks. I'll give it a temporary canopy for the time being. Would heat from c9 Christmas lights help any? I still have some wrapped around it just haven't had them on

2 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

10-4, thanks. I'll give it a temporary canopy for the time being. Would heat from c9 Christmas lights help any? I still have some wrapped around it just haven't had them on

We don't have any cold weather foretasted that would effect it so I wouldn't bother. Mine did it in April of last year I think. It fully recovered but was obviously slowed down by it. My other sitting right next to it was unfazed.... These were small seedlings from @kinzyjrthat just went pinnate last summer. 

1 minute ago, RJ said:

We don't have any cold weather foretasted that would effect it so I wouldn't bother. Mine did it in April of last year I think. It fully recovered but was obviously slowed down by it. My other sitting right next to it was unfazed.... These were small seedlings from @kinzyjrthat just went pinnate last summer. 

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I treated with peroxide, should I start cutting away until I find healthy tissue or let it be?

No, that should always be used as a last resort.