JANAIY

Germinated seed still full and heavy after 8 month??

JANAIY

My Johannesteijsmannia perakensis germinated about 8 month ago with 2 beautiful long leaves and the seed still attached to the palm is still full and heavy ?? Is it possible it has 2 embryo? All the other germinated seeds are all empty and lightweight. You can really tell the difference. Is that a possibility and if should I leave it like it is or detach it and try to germinate it again? 

image.thumb.jpg.898f7e17b1cd8d5d7b33c7f63c35441c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3a5eec5ca6dc87e6987693575a58e292.jpg

• Like 1

jimmyt

Leave it and see what comes of it.  The natural coarse is similar to a umbilical cord.  I cannot think of a downside to leaving it on.

JANAIY

I left the seed attached and buried it half , let’s see what happens. 

• Like 1

jimmyt

Good idea!   Tell us how the story ends.

JANAIY
7 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Good idea!   Tell us how the story ends.

I certainly will.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have around 50 Eucalyptus dalrympleana seeds that I had in the fridge cold stratifying for at least eight weeks now (maybe longer, I forgot exactly) in a damp paper towel. The seeds are super tiny. I was going to germinate these in a little closed container just on top of some moist soil. I heard they can germinate fine at tempatures around 65°F. Does anyone have any advice about germating these? I never germinated Eucalyptus seeds before. 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone germinate seeds in a germination box (like a little box with a heat light inside)? If you do, does it work well with palms? I might make a little one and try it. 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I am giving a new seed germination method a try. I have a bunch of Sabal minor seeds and I had a few little plastic bowls that had soup in them. I am using the containers to try and germinate the Sabal minor seeds. I filled them up with moist orchid moss and simply scattered the Sabal monor seeds on top and closed the lid and set it on a heat pad. I just opened it up to see how warm it is inside, the orchid moss is just warm, not hot, but warm. I have germinated Sabal minor seeds before at room tempature so I do not believe the tempature will be an issue. Anyway, here it is. I hope it works. Anyone else do this? 

• IHB1979
      By IHB1979
      I have been trying to germinate seed of this plant for some time without any success. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? It's summer in my area, 85+F with dewpoints in the mid 70's. Hot and humid. My germination method has been seed on top of a starting mix and lightly covered with more mix. Have kept the mix moist without any luck.
      If anyone knows where to buy the plant, I would go that route also, just haven't been able to find it anywhere.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does Anyone Cold Stratify palm seeds before you germinate them? I normally just put the seed directly into some soil and give them heat, I never cold stratified my seeds. Does anyone?