IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix species identification

Yort

I came across this naturalized population of clustering Phoenix palms and can't seem to find any information about them. Before I give more information and a location I am interested to see what species you think it is? Bonus point if you can guess the location.

DSC_1005.JPG

DSC_1024.JPG

DSC_1027.JPG

DSC_1028.JPG

DSC_1030.JPG

DSC_1038.JPG

DSC_1039.JPG

DSC_1046.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

DSC_1064.JPG

Looks like spontaneous phoenix dactilifera.

I think it is in The Canarian islands...

• Like 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

There are about 30 individual clumps of these palms scattered over a large area inland from San-Andres in the beautiful valley Barranco de las Huertas in the extreme north of Tenerife. There are no wild Phoenix canariensis present in this valley. I think it is most likely that they are naturalized Phoenix dactylifera but I am a bit uncertain because they seem to have a rather strange look to them and the female inflorescence seemed quite short. Unfortunately there was no fruit. I did not observe these palms anywhere else in the north of Tenerife. Because they are scattered over such a large area and some clumps are very old I believe they have to be growing here for a long time. There is a tiny village in the valley with just a few houses that is called Los Palmitos which suggest that palms probably grew in this valley when the village was named. 

Edited by Yort
  • Like 1

They don't look like pure Dactylifera. Some of those specimens look like Dacty x Canariensis hybrids. Others look more like Dacty x Pheophrasti. It has to be some form of hybridised Dacty, surely. As you said, they don't look like regular Dacty. Something is definitely amiss about this strand/population.

Is it possible that this Phoenix strand could even be Phoenix Atlantica? Those are endemic to the Cape Verde Islands to the south of the Canaries. Animals or humans could have easily transported the seeds north to Tenerife in previous centuries. Then you've suddenly got an isolated population there. Much like the isolated Theophrasti population in southwestern Turkey.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

On 2/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, Yort said:

There are about 30 individual clumps of these palms scattered over a large area inland from San-Andres in the beautiful valley Barranco de las Huertas in the extreme north of Tenerife. There are no wild Phoenix canariensis present in this valley. I think it is most likely that they are naturalized Phoenix dactylifera but I am a bit uncertain because they seem to have a rather strange look to them and the female inflorescence seemed quite short. Unfortunately there was no fruit. I did not observe these palms anywhere else in the north of Tenerife. Because they are scattered over such a large area and some clumps are very old I believe they have to be growing here for a long time. There is a tiny village in the valley with just a few houses that is called Los Palmitos which suggest that palms probably grew in this valley when the village was named. 

Agree with you, they are rogue dactylifera. The small spines along the petiole are a dead give away.  Imo a very decisive differentiating feature between feral dacties and wild, relative spp. Imo small spines is the result of selective breeding for millennia long.

Ok so they are most likely P. dactylifera. The thing is that most plant parts of these palms are tiny compared to other dactylifera I have seen. For instance, I estimate the leaf length including the petiole of mature specimens just over 2 meters. Offcourse this can be caused by environmental influences like drought but this valley is very moist and green so I think it's a genetic trait.

Your estimation is wrong lol.  With 2 m only overall length of a frond, palm should look really tiny and, if having a well developed trunk, with a very disproportional crown. I know well because I have a Phoenix loureiroi with leaves of only up to 2 m.