IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your most successful boundary push, here's mine

atlantisrising

I have killed a lot of species trying to stretch the limits and boundaries of cultural and climate requirements. Occasionally one works. This is Clinostigma samoense on my property in Key Largo FL where there is no soil, none, coral rock with a couple inches of leaf detritus on top. This took an immense dig with jackhammer and fill with FL muck/silica sand mix, she gets daily irrigation and florikan 18-6-8 thrice yearly. Was a four leaf top of fence youngster 2.5 yrs ago when put in the ground. Survived hurricane Irma soon after. Look at her now!

What's your proudest grow! Would love to see pics!

IMG_20200208_094637523_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20200208_095040322_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20200208_094807554_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20200208_094618361_HDR[1].jpg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 5

44 minutes ago, atlantisrising said:

I have killed a lot of species trying to stretch the limits and boundaries of cultural and climate requirements. Occasionally one works. This is Clinostigma samoense on my property in Key Largo FL where there is no soil, none, coral rock with a couple inches of leaf detritus on top. This took an immense dig with jackhammer and fill with FL muck/silica sand mix, she gets daily irrigation and florikan 18-6-8 thrice yearly. Was a four leaf top of fence youngster 2.5 yrs ago when put in the ground. Survived hurricane Irma soon after. Look at her now!

What's your proudest grow! Would love to see pics!

IMG_20200208_094618361_HDR[1].jpg

tenor.gif

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Does it have to be a palm lol?? Okay I have two (don’t stone me). Growing up we had a vacation home in FL and I fully intend on moving that way someday. But I’ve always dreamt of a FL backyard. 

My Hawaiian ti plants. These are a hard grow here in 115f dry Arizona or 30f cold Arizona. 

Another FL favorite are my two Roystonea. This fit in the bottom of a plane less than 3 years ago. Sees full AZ sun and a low of mid to upper twenties last winter. Love them. My favorite palms.

98450343-07FA-4DCC-9E0E-5E4336AB15DC.jpeg

6577FADC-DAC8-4FF7-941B-5A3862854850.png

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 3

On 2/11/2020 at 8:06 AM, atlantisrising said:

IMG_20200208_094807554_HDR[1].jpg

Wow!!! That is a nice looking one! Congrats!

Since Clinostigma samoense is one of my absolute favorites, I couldn't resist and ordered seeds a few years ago...

012-js.thumb.jpg.ad4c31b2f97abbcd8b8c0e7ca81300cf.jpg

It is one of three in the ground and still looks a bit shattered from last year's typhoons but it is hanging in.

Now comes the interesting part:

If you look at the plant behind the Clinostigma which is still tiny - 

013-j.thumb.jpg.08a68706c899f5fc764c833e6e51f1a9.jpg

...it is a now five years old Jubea chilensis. ;) (from seed, too)

It is still very small but it grows steadily and sits very tight in the ground. 

So, my boundary pushers are growing side by side - Clinostigma samoense and Jubea chilensis.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Edited by palmfriend
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Wow!!! That is a nice looking one! Congrats!

Since Clinostigma samoense is one of my absolute favorites, I couldn't resist and ordered seeds a few years ago...

012-js.thumb.jpg.ad4c31b2f97abbcd8b8c0e7ca81300cf.jpg

It is one of three in the ground and still looks a bit shattered from last year's typhoons but it is hanging in.

Now comes the interesting part:

If you look at the plant behind the Clinostigma which is still tiny - 

013-j.thumb.jpg.08a68706c899f5fc764c833e6e51f1a9.jpg

...it is a now five years old Jubea chinensis. ;) (from seed, too)

It is still very small but it grows steadily and sits very tight in the ground. 

So, my boundary pushers are growing side by side - Clinostigma samoense and Jubea chinensis.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Five YEARS now that is patience! Well done!

• Like 2

For the San Diego/Tijuana/SoCal region one doesn't see too many of these:

The oldest (largest in pic, golden malayan) is 3 years old. (Aug/2016)

The others are two years old.

20200211_162552.jpg

20200211_162522.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

20200211_162552.jpg

20200211_162522.jpg

Looking great! 

• Like 1

Btw, the zone-pushing does come with its checks and balances:

Fortunately it happened on the oldest leaf. But it almost seems as if it contracted F.wilt. I'm pretty sure it's only cold damage. Here is a picture of the damaged old leaf.

20200212_141907.jpg

Well I got a king palm this big in 9a but dug it up to make way for the pool and it died I now have 4 more babies in the ground

C049AEC2-2252-42FB-A8EE-44E0C039117F.jpeg

• Like 6

Beccariophoenix alfredii in the frigid Central Valley of CA is probably my biggest, successful zone push. Shown here at the end of January. 

20200126_111902.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Btw, the zone-pushing does come with its checks and balances:

Fortunately it happened on the oldest leaf. But it almost seems as if it contracted F.wilt. I'm pretty sure it's only cold damage. Here is a picture of the damaged old leaf.

20200212_141907.jpg

Definitely cold damage Alex, unfortunately I recognise that but fortunately they recover pretty quick when the warmer weather arrives.

Like Alex, mine is also a golden Malay dwarf coconut, it's been in the ground for 8 years now and started out as a seedling, like the little one next to it.

Screenshot_20200208-101830_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-075351_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-075201_Gallery.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Like Alex, mine is also a golden Malay dwarf coconut, it's been in the ground for 8 years now and started out as a seedling, like the little one next to it.

Screenshot_20200208-101830_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-075351_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-075201_Gallery.jpg

I’m always impressed with the the coconut success! Mine fried here in AZ but I didn’t protect it at all. When I dug it, the roots were every healthy. I had it in pure sand for drainage. Maybe I’ll try again... 

34 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

I’m always impressed with the the coconut success! Mine fried here in AZ but I didn’t protect it at all. When I dug it, the roots were every healthy. I had it in pure sand for drainage. Maybe I’ll try again... 

I think if you can nurse them through the first few years while they're small they seem to harden up a bit as they put on size. I can't really protect the big one now because of its size and it certainly looks a bit rough by the end of the cool months but it seems to bounce back pretty quickly, at least it has thus far.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I think if you can nurse them through the first few years while they're small they seem to harden up a bit as they put on size. I can't really protect the big one now because of its size and it certainly looks a bit rough by the end of the cool months but it seems to bounce back pretty quickly, at least it has thus far.

I have a coco in the ground for 3 years and In a pot 4 years before then.  I live in Phoenix also and am now convinced a coco will never live unprotected here.  Even though we have a 10a zone In some parts of town, our nightly lows are just too low for long term unprotected success.  I still have mine in a greenhouse and the lowest recorded temp shown was 48 degrees this winter but my fronds are spotted miserably and it hasn’t even experienced real cold. 

Our nightly lows bottom out in winter anywhere between 35 (1.667 C) and 45(7.222 C) every night which is just too cold for even short term success without protection. 

I will send some pics of mine later today on how it currently looks.

This is what the frond I’m referring too  looked like back on Dec 8 before winter set in 

BAEFABE3-8E32-4635-89B1-D094677F0F16.jpeg

• Like 3

I lived just outside of phoenix for 10 years, the desiccation power in the AZ desert is unlike any other place I have been.  Inland CA is a distant 2nd.  I found out only one crownshaft that was a possible grow, roystonea(I had borinquena).  They could take the sun but had to be well watered.  Get used to using overhead netting for the first 1-2 years on non desert palms.  If you have lots of shade in your yard already, add water and you could grow some shade loving palms perhaps.  Water evaporates quickly most of the year so auto irrigation and drippers are necessary for sure.  

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, wrigjef said:

I have a coco in the ground for 3 years and In a pot 4 years before then.  I live in Phoenix also and am now convinced a coco will never live unprotected here.  Even though we have a 10a zone In some parts of town, our nightly lows are just too low for long term unprotected success.  I still have mine in a greenhouse and the lowest recorded temp shown was 48 degrees this winter but my fronds are spotted miserably and it hasn’t even experienced real cold. 

Our nightly lows bottom out in winter anywhere between 35 (1.667 C) and 45(7.222 C) every night which is just too cold for even short term success without protection. 

I will send some pics of mine later today on how it currently looks.

This is what the frond I’m referring too  looked like back on Dec 8 before winter set in 

BAEFABE3-8E32-4635-89B1-D094677F0F16.jpeg

Here is the same frond taken today. You can see the spotting and tip burn.  I could only imagine how bad it would look if it had seen 40 F (4.4c) every night. I am sure it would be dead.  

However I have to admit the meristem looks very healthy so only time will tell.  This is also my most successful boundary push which is not saying much LOL 

7D6D2421-92B1-4127-97D0-7A8F550F9923.jpeg

38FC021F-00D8-4DFD-A935-2D5D13D48D9D.jpeg

E7137141-B47D-4C44-AB28-37BE7385C325.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/11/2020 at 4:29 PM, GottmitAlex said:

20200211_162552.jpg

20200211_162522.jpg

Hi, 

I've been following the progress of your Coconut Palms over the years. All I can say is WOW...they all look INCREDIBLE...it's amazing not only how you're keeping them alive, but the fact that the palms look great just amazes me. Keep up the great work...here's to your continued success!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mahalo2 said:

Hi, 

I've been following the progress of your Coconut Palms over the years. All I can say is WOW...they all look INCREDIBLE...it's amazing not only how you're keeping them alive, but the fact that the palms look great just amazes me. Keep up the great work...here's to your continued success!!!

vielen Dank!

Many thanks!  They're definitely pushing the envelope zone-wise.

15817271366994717058798236121055.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 1:05 PM, sonoranfans said:

I lived just outside of phoenix for 10 years, the desiccation power in the AZ desert is unlike any other place I have been.  Inland CA is a distant 2nd.  I found out only one crownshaft that was a possible grow, roystonea(I had borinquena).  They could take the sun but had to be well watered.  Get used to using overhead netting for the first 1-2 years on non desert palms.  If you have lots of shade in your yard already, add water and you could grow some shade loving palms perhaps.  Water evaporates quickly most of the year so auto irrigation and drippers are necessary for sure.  

I’m thinking because the diameter of the trunk on a Roystonea is thick enough along with its growth rate getting thick, it can withstand the sun and desiccation. Plus, it gets a lot of water between the lawn and myself. I do have 2 king palms in deep shade that are growing and look perfect for the last two years, for now. If my bananas are taken out, buh bye kings. 

Agreed on the shade netting. Palms that are newly planted will burn to a crisp. Even palms that can withstand desert environments will look sad mid summer.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:53 PM, Matt in OC said:

A. Vestiaria 

0F6D40A5-59D7-43C6-AD06-B393B06A9FCF.jpeg

That is looking great Matt for California. How much sun does it get and what is the exposure. I have never had one live past 4 years I have tried the orange and yellow versions 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:43 AM, akamu said:

That is looking great Matt for California. How much sun does it get and what is the exposure. I have never had one live past 4 years I have tried the orange and yellow versions 

It’s northern facing exposure. I’d say it gets some direct sun in the summer but is otherwise protected. I think I got lucky with this one. Yellow croaked on me really quick. I had a maroon 4” that managed to cling to life for a few years (same location) but looked sad enough for me to pull it. This was a huge 1 gal from Floribunda. I believe it’s been in the ground since summer 2016. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 8:43 AM, akamu said:

Looks amazing.  Any cold damage on it from that last blast...

2 hours ago, TomJ said:

Looks amazing.  Any cold damage on it from that last blast...

You can see some on the far left leaf of the sucker but it’s otherwise good. We haven’t gotten as cold as SD did though thankfully. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. I am enjoying the heck out of it. It is fascinating to see what is considered difficult in different regions. Never would have guessed you could grow Archontophoenix in Louisiana, or catechu in Israel, or vestiaria anywhere in California, or Pritchardia that far north in FL. And I feel for you Coco growers, in my opinion one of the most beautiful palms ever. Here they grow like weeds and are under appreciated, other areas of the world very difficult. Hats off to all of you for PUSHING THE ZONE!

• Like 2