IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When you pull a spear out

LJG

8 hours ago, RichAZ said:

Sorry to hear that Ben.  It's a tough call whether to replace it or just let it sit there looking awful until it rots or revives.  I'm leaning towards a rip and replace....

Same.  It's a 20/25g size plant though, so I am still coming to terms with it!  I guess I am waiting until I have something to replace it with...no sense ripping it before that.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

So the drama ended yesterday.  I went outside to check on the trunk (I kicked it) and it just snapped off at the base.  Ordered a new Coco Queen and didn't think about it anymore :  )

9 hours ago, RichAZ said:

So the drama ended yesterday.  I went outside to check on the trunk (I kicked it) and it just snapped off at the base.  Ordered a new Coco Queen and didn't think about it anymore :  )

I marked the spear on mine, but am not hopeful. I think it's toast.  I might do much the same (Coco Queen!)

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

viva la coconut queen

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

14 hours ago, RichAZ said:

Where did you get the Coco Queen? I need one or several...

1 hour ago, kirkhutch said:

I ordered it from Phil at Jungle Music in San Diego.  I purchased one about a year ago and it's doing well even in the AZ summer.  Really a beautiful tree.  

19 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

Josh has 'em.  Quite a few doing the Socal rounds at the minute, buy them while you can.  A bit of a glut seems to have them going quite cheap.

Ben Rogers

• 3 years later...

Hey guys,

I have had at least 6 Flame thrower palms and 1 Solitare palm have a spear come straight out when pulled on. I have no idea if it is the soil, too much water or the temperatures we have been having are too low for these poor things. Can anyone shed some light please. 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Photos?

Treat the center of each stem with straight 3% hydrogen peroxide which you can buy at any pharmacy.

Doesn't sound good for either palm (majesties are solitary palms often sold clustered). Good news is that they are common and cheap even though they make lousy houseplants.

Welcome to PalmTalk. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Reduce the size of your photos, i.e., # pixels. You may be trying to upload too large files.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 2/1/2021 at 8:42 AM, Palm Lord said:

have a majesty palm with less than a foot of trunk and all of the leaves are brown. Parts of the stems on the palm frond are still green. It has two Trunks and both of them did a spear Pull. So now I got a majesty palm with two trunks but both have pulled Palm Spears and dried crispy leaves with green stems. I brought it into a dry warm location for 26 hours before I brought it into my shower and I allowed for hot steam rising up to help the palm trees humidity needs. Now I got it sitting in my shower surrounded by Steam and I turned the water off. What is the chance of it coming back?

5 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

Majesty Palms in general are cheap but I have a rare variety that is worth $100 per foot of trunk. I have a Majesty Palm var "Cedar Point" which all of those kinds all descended from the same 16 trees. 

So, you have a Ravenea rivularis with 1 foot of trunk that is in a pot that you are moving around?  What was the initial trauma that caused the leaves to brown?  Where are you located (climate has a little to do with growing palms)?   What is distinctive about Ravenea rivularis var "Cedar Point" besides being descended from the same 16 palms?  Every Ravenea we grow is a descendant of some group of palms, but in order be a "variation" within a species there must be some distinctive characteristics.

Is the reason for the steam bath that you are growing it indoors and your heater is drying out the air inside?  A quick steambath won't do much if the normal ambient climate where it's growing is part of your initial problem.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Reduce the size of your photos, i.e., # pixels. You may be trying to upload too large files.

As Meg points out above down size before trying to upload your photos.  Most of us won't follow a link to an outside location if you use one.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

Finally, here is my YouTube video on the matter since I can't insert pictures. 

On 2/1/2021 at 8:42 AM, Palm Lord said:

I have a majesty palm with less than a foot of trunk and all of the leaves are brown. Parts of the stems on the palm frond are still green. It has two Trunks and both of them did a spear Pull. So now I got a majesty palm with two trunks but both have pulled Palm Spears and dried crispy leaves with green stems. I brought it into a dry warm location for 26 hours before I brought it into my shower and I allowed for hot steam rising up to help the palm trees humidity needs. Now I got it sitting in my shower surrounded by Steam and I turned the water off. What is the chance of it coming back? I haven't hit it with hydrogen peroxide or anything because I don't know if you're supposed to dilute it in water or how you do it and I don't even know if I have any. I need help for this palm tree. Can anybody help me? Is it really a goner?    I added this video showing for palm tree And the situation. It looks pretty bleak but I have faith.

Looks like toast to me.  There are no green leaves remaining and with the only remaining green spears pulling it has nothing for photosynthesis.  Considering the time of year you don't have much hope of a sudden warm up to allow it to grow either.  If you really want to try nursing it, take it indoors to a spot with bright light, and use the Hydrogen peroxide you can buy at most drug stores.  I think here in the states it is normally about a 3% solution which is fine to apply directly into the hole where you pulled the stems.  Again, I would be shocked if the plant survived in the short run, and definitely not in the long run after a blow like this.

Just an aside as to why photos are important.  When one is talking about a "foot of trunk", it refers to clean trunk, not that the top of the leafbase is 1' above the soil line.  For reference I've posted a couple of examples.  Ravenea glauca with about 1' of trunk and a Dypsis prestoniana which has more girth but still not as thick a trunk as a typical Ravenea rivularis with just over a foot of trunk (sandal is about 1' high against the trunk).  So you can see why some of us were a bit puzzled by the description of moving a potted 1' trunk into a shower.

20210203-BH3I2565.jpg

20210203-BH3I2567.jpg

20210203-BH3I2572.jpg

20210203-BH3I2574.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

Finally, here is my YouTube video on the matter since I can't insert pictures. 

Looks dead to me.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

3 hours ago, Palm Lord said:

I have 27 more anyway and 16 are green.

You may want to consider how you can protect them when you have your more extreme cold weather events.  Perhaps covering them or bringing them inside a garage that has some heat if they are all in pots of similar size to the one you posted.  If they get beat up every winter like the one you posted, it's hard for them to gain any size.  The shower after a spear pull for humidity is probably just what you don't want to do.  It is more likely to cause condensation to get into the hole left by the spear pull.  Condensation will be the host for the bacterial infection, which is what putting the hydrogen peroxide is recommended.  The hydrogen peroxide is to both clean and cause any residual liquid to evaporate.

Since you mentioned that the "Cedar Point" from of Ravenea rivularis is from 16 Cedar Point specimens, are there in fact flowering male and female and fruiting specimens growing there?  Are they in close enough proximity to one another that bees pollinate them or is someone hand pollinating the females using the male pollen?  How long have the original specimens been growing on Cedar Point Island and is it really enough time to expect any genetic difference from other poplulations of R rivularis?   

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Palm Lord said:

Here on Cedar Point island people pollinate them. They are about 30 feet apart on average but some are closer or farther. They do get beat up by the time winter ends but they always bounce back before March. They do not need much protection. Many times they die if you don't protect them but as a species they still survived.

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that there are Ravenea rivularis growing on Cedar Point Island in Ohio and they survive year after year? If there are any palms on that island that survive on that island year after year, beat up or not, R rivularis would be far down the list of what I expect.  Do any of them have any size? I watched the video, pretty sure that one is a gonner, plus being in the pot doesn't help during cold.

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2007 at 1:55 PM, LJG said:

Once of my favorite palms had its main stem's spear stop growing. It started browning and after a few weeks I figured I would test it. This morning I pulled it out. Most the ones I have pulled from other palms were due to the freeze. This was planted in April and was protected from the freeze. But the planting and sun burn put it into shock.

So I think I know the answer that the stem will probably die. But I figured I would ask some long time growers if they have seen better success then I would guess at recovery. It has been hit with fungicide weeks earlier when I noticed the slowing. I hit it again today with Subdue. Any positive words of encouragement?

I have 2 Mexican fan palms with a 3k’ trunk and one with a 5’ trunk that showed green growth after I cut them back and today I pulled a spear on all 3. Prognosis??

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, Palm Lord said:

Most of the Palms on the island is in an 8b microclimate. Yes there are Cedar Point Palms on Cedar Point Island. The one in my video is a goner. I do have living ones in other areas.

Stop trolling.

Nothing to say here. 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, Palm Lord said:

Here on Cedar Point island people pollinate them. They are about 30 feet apart on average but some are closer or farther. They do get beat up by the time winter ends but they always bounce back before March. They do not need much protection. Many times they die if you don't protect them but as a species they still survived.

Stop the lies.

Nothing to say here. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, Jerry Price said:

I have 2 Mexican fan palms with a 3k’ trunk and one with a 5’ trunk that showed green growth after I cut them back and today I pulled a spear on all 3. Prognosis??

Pictures.? You can follow the threads on the “cold hardy palms” forum on this website where most Texans are posting about their winter damage. You can repost there and get help.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 1 month later...

Texas freeze this year, two Mexican fan palms turned brown. Today, I pulled out the center spear thinking I had killed them but come to find out they are not a crownshaft plant.  If I am correct, they can come back. If I am in error let me know. I sprayed some copper fungicide and I will probably stick some cloth down the center to absorb moisture. Reading everyone's comments gives me hope.  that they are not dead.  P.S. The center spears were not healthy at all when I pulled them out, and  towards the bottom they were tan in color and moist.