Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Whiplash87

What palm would you want in zone 9B?

Recommended Posts

Whiplash87

That's a good looking palm Enigma! Yeah I do t mind the spotting either. Fast is ideal in this climate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos

Foxy Lady with southern exposure in front yard. First pic is from 2013, next pic is from 2019. 

1F72E24F-74F5-43B7-A740-5670C598F461.thumb.png.3d1d93d7e502764a45c6808581f2dbf6.png8B3F092E-CF0C-4C88-861E-99777BE2E3F5.thumb.png.69d967c099a0f58a7c36e0fc25450059.png

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiplash87
23 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Foxy Lady with southern exposure in front yard. First pic is from 2013, next pic is from 2019. 

1F72E24F-74F5-43B7-A740-5670C598F461.thumb.png.3d1d93d7e502764a45c6808581f2dbf6.png8B3F092E-CF0C-4C88-861E-99777BE2E3F5.thumb.png.69d967c099a0f58a7c36e0fc25450059.png

Dang Jim that is one fine looking palm! What's the soil like in Los Altos? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos
28 minutes ago, Whiplash87 said:

Dang Jim that is one fine looking palm! What's the soil like in Los Altos? 

Here’s another shot from a year ago Dec. 2018. Soil is typical Santa Clara Valley yellow clay but fairly heavily amended over the years so loam first 15” deep and then pure clay. It drains well however. 

7B331644-3346-4FDC-80B4-2AD672EECA7E.thumb.jpeg.bd0f124685ab44b1c09db670099cef77.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darold Petty

Perry Glenn has great palms at low prices in Santa Barbara, but no shipping.   http://slopalms.com/

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames
On 2/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, enigma99 said:

If you dislike regular queens how about coco queens? (Hybrid)

Where can I find a coco queen near Daytona Beach, FL!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
7 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Where can I find a coco queen near Daytona Beach, FL!?

Not exactly close to Daytona (Tampa area) but you might try contacting @ErikSJI  I bought some coco queen seedlings from him last May.  Others probably know of other possible sources.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
28 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Where can I find a coco queen near Daytona Beach, FL!?

Mbpalms has seedlings for sale atleast he does on his Ebay account https://www.ebay.com/itm/202869774364

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames
1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Not exactly close to Daytona (Tampa area) but you might try contacting @ErikSJI  I bought some coco queen seedlings from him last May.  Others probably know of other possible sources.

You’d be surprised where I’ll go and what I’ll do for a palm I want :o

This beauty went across the St. Johns River Ferry to my last house from a Home Depot in Jacksonville that always orders random large specimens. 

00F13E56-A857-4925-B85B-70F3F948A61D.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom in Tucson

I replied in the 1st page of this thread with a number of possibilities, but forgot to include a palm which has proven to do well in Modesto.

Here it is in 2010, and here it is last year.

Hi 70˚, Lo 49˚ - showers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
6 hours ago, NickJames said:

You’d be surprised where I’ll go and what I’ll do for a palm I want :o

This beauty went across the St. Johns River Ferry to my last house from a Home Depot in Jacksonville that always orders random large specimens. 

00F13E56-A857-4925-B85B-70F3F948A61D.jpeg

Now that's what I'm talking about!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiplash87
16 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

I replied in the 1st page of this thread with a number of possibilities, but forgot to include a palm which has proven to do well in Modesto.

Here it is in 2010, and here it is last year.

Hi 70˚, Lo 49˚ - showers

Dang Tom that is a fine specimen! Glad to know something that nice will thrive here. This climate is definitely tough to get tropicals to do well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames
On 2/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Mbpalms has seedlings for sale atleast he does on his Ebay account https://www.ebay.com/itm/202869774364

I picked one up tonight! Now just need to figure out where to plant it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
33 minutes ago, NickJames said:

I picked one up tonight! Now just need to figure out where to plant it. 

You lucky dog haha I have been meaning to hit him up and see if he has any foxy ladies for sale that can be shipped =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames

Here she is. My new coco queen. Saying a prayer that she will grow strong and healthy. 

43F572DA-C2EA-40C4-83CF-D5D433828CCA.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca

Nice!  Looks like the size of my two - hopefully it will put on some good growth and really take off! :greenthumb:. It will be interesting to compare growth going forward.

Edited by Fusca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames
44 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Nice!  Looks like the size of my two - hopefully it will put on some good growth and really take off! :greenthumb:. It will be interesting to compare growth going forward.

When I was trying to plant it, the tree separated from the soil mix in the container. I didn’t damage the little baby root ball and I put the container soil in the hole. Do you think it’ll be OK?

My foxtail is kind of in the same part of the yard and it seems to be doing marvelously. The spot I put the coco queen in has a drip irrigation line and is on a steep grade. The drainage should be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
11 hours ago, NickJames said:

When I was trying to plant it, the tree separated from the soil mix in the container. I didn’t damage the little baby root ball and I put the container soil in the hole. Do you think it’ll be OK?

I think it should be OK - that's happened to me before.  Did you notice if the seed was still attached?  I think it should be far enough along to not need it anymore anyway.  Did you get it locally or was it shipped to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames
10 hours ago, Fusca said:

I think it should be OK - that's happened to me before.  Did you notice if the seed was still attached?  I think it should be far enough along to not need it anymore anyway.  Did you get it locally or was it shipped to you?

I honestly didn’t see. I don’t think it did. It had a long single root that hung down and the curved into a little circle (I assume taking the shape of the bottom of the container since it couldn’t grow any deeper). 
 

I got it from the EBayer someone posted above. Mr. Palm?? He was only 15 mins from my office so I just picked it up in person. 
 

it looks good today. Still standing upright etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
13 hours ago, NickJames said:

He was only 15 mins from my office so I just picked it up in person.

Excellent!  Locally grown is better and in person you can get advice regarding whether it needs to be acclimated to sun if it was shade grown.  It looks like it's going to get a lot of sun where it's planted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NickJames
1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Excellent!  Locally grown is better and in person you can get advice regarding whether it needs to be acclimated to sun if it was shade grown.  It looks like it's going to get a lot of sun where it's planted.

Yes, I would say it gets direct sun from about 10am until sunset. 
 

thank you for advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz

Here are some side-by-side comparisons for a few of my potted palms. These aren't really babied in winter. Except for being placed against a sunny, south-facing wall, they are pretty much on their own. Compare your climate data to Fresno, I'd guess they would be almost identical, with Fresno perhaps being a tad warmer (sunset zone 8/9 - the "citrus belt" on the eastern edge of the valley). 

This is my Foxy Lady (in a 15 gal container). Notice the undamaged bananas & heliconias in the back, we've had a pretty mild winter and this hybrid still spots pretty bad.

20200221_130340.thumb.jpg.df3f9cde4fb298604b052f119cd61998.jpg

 

Compare it to Dypsis onilahensis which looks unfazed ( the burned tips are from summer sun). 

20200221_130517.thumb.jpg.e03cc02a98755338ff300b9865f44a58.jpg

 

And lastly, Syagrus amara. I think this one will be a good palm for our area. Spots, but only on older leaves. 

20200221_130630.thumb.jpg.7392a5ce1ed858d817b6f031e6a3a821.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hillizard

Josue: Regardless of how it did this winter, at least you HAVE a 'foxy lady'! I've been unable to locate one via mail order. My in-ground Dypsis onilahensis with overstory protection did well this winter but had some leaf spotting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

@Josue Diaz What was the lowest temp your foxy lady saw ? I thought it was decently cold hardy ? @Hillizard I'm also in the market for one , they do seem to be tough to find. I believe premiere growers fl has them but there not cheap =/ 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
12 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Josue Diaz What was the lowest temp your foxy lady saw ? I thought it was decently cold hardy ? @Hillizard I'm also in the market for one , they do seem to be tough to find. I believe premiere growers fl has them but there not cheap =/ 

We stayed above 30F all winter except for 2 nights in early Feb when we dropped to 29F. Not enough to harm even Plumeria outside in the ground.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiplash87

Josue, that dypsis Onilahensis looks really nice! Might have to pick up one of those too! I just picked up two flamethrower palms, so we’ll see how they do once they get some height to them. Yeah our temperatures are very similar. Fresno is usually about 5 degrees warmer. My wife’s family is in Fresno and Clovis so we travel there often.  I’d say the spotting will be worth it once that lady palm gets some size on it. I’m still going to hunt for one. My larger plumeria here lost its leaves but was mostly unaffected. My smaller one was definitely damaged this winter. I agree though, this winter was pretty mild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
9 hours ago, Whiplash87 said:

Josue, that dypsis Onilahensis looks really nice! Might have to pick up one of those too! I just picked up two flamethrower palms, so we’ll see how they do once they get some height to them. Yeah our temperatures are very similar. Fresno is usually about 5 degrees warmer. My wife’s family is in Fresno and Clovis so we travel there often.  I’d say the spotting will be worth it once that lady palm gets some size on it. I’m still going to hunt for one. My larger plumeria here lost its leaves but was mostly unaffected. My smaller one was definitely damaged this winter. I agree though, this winter was pretty mild. 

Chambeyronia are really good as understory palms. Jeff in Modesto has a killer chambeyronia that throws up massive, red leaves even without yet forming a trunk. His his RIGHT up to a north facing wall of his house. I have 5 chambeys of varying sizes. They're undamaged as long as they're planted under canopy.  There are 3 in this shot, along with an assortment of chamaedorea. 

20200218_175505.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

@Whiplash87

i second third fourth and fifth the motion for you to try a Beccariophoenix alfredii!

25 FF and not a scratch

and of course you have a standing invite to visit and see mine!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

And don’t be afraid to try a “mule”: Syagrus romanzoffianum X Butea capitata oh Lordy scream 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James B
5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

And

dont be afraid to try a “mule”: Syagrus romanzoffianum X Butea capitata oh Lordy scream 

I do second this. They have a fresh delivery of mule palms in 24” boxes at the Home Depot by me for $299. I almost pulled the trigger but backed off for now as I am planning an addition to my home either this summer or next and need to have it finalized before I add another large palm. They are tough and quite attractive IMO. Better looking than either of its parent palms.

Edited by James B
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
13 minutes ago, James B said:

I do second this. They have a fresh delivery of mule palms in 24” boxes at the Home Depot by me for $299. I almost pulled the trigger but backed off for now as I am planning an addition to my home either this summer or next and need to have it finalized before I add another large palm. They are tough and quite attractive IMO. Better looking than either of its parent palms.

Yowza 

hope the cages are good and stout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James B
10 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yowza 

hope the cages are good and stout

Haha they are a beastly and impressive palm for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffnparrishfl

I’m in zone 9b queens are bulletproof in my area, surprisingly lots of 10yr pls royals and foxtails have survived the freezes over the years. Think it helps that I’m not too far from the coast. I have 2 large foxtails  2 massive queens  that are 35 ft tall in 4 yrs planted as a 5 gallon palms. Nothing is faster then a queen. Have 2 large Bismarks that were super small are getting massive in just 3 years. Didn’t know they grew so fast.   Have 2 fairly large royals and one I just planted. I’m sure they will get zapped one of these winters 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×