IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palm would you want in zone 9B?

Whiplash87

That's a good looking palm Enigma! Yeah I do t mind the spotting either. Fast is ideal in this climate. 

Foxy Lady with southern exposure in front yard. First pic is from 2013, next pic is from 2019. 

1F72E24F-74F5-43B7-A740-5670C598F461.thumb.png.3d1d93d7e502764a45c6808581f2dbf6.png8B3F092E-CF0C-4C88-861E-99777BE2E3F5.thumb.png.69d967c099a0f58a7c36e0fc25450059.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

23 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Foxy Lady with southern exposure in front yard. First pic is from 2013, next pic is from 2019. 

1F72E24F-74F5-43B7-A740-5670C598F461.thumb.png.3d1d93d7e502764a45c6808581f2dbf6.png8B3F092E-CF0C-4C88-861E-99777BE2E3F5.thumb.png.69d967c099a0f58a7c36e0fc25450059.png

Dang Jim that is one fine looking palm! What's the soil like in Los Altos? 

28 minutes ago, Whiplash87 said:

Dang Jim that is one fine looking palm! What's the soil like in Los Altos? 

Here’s another shot from a year ago Dec. 2018. Soil is typical Santa Clara Valley yellow clay but fairly heavily amended over the years so loam first 15” deep and then pure clay. It drains well however. 

7B331644-3346-4FDC-80B4-2AD672EECA7E.thumb.jpeg.bd0f124685ab44b1c09db670099cef77.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 2/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, enigma99 said:

If you dislike regular queens how about coco queens? (Hybrid)

Where can I find a coco queen near Daytona Beach, FL!?

7 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Where can I find a coco queen near Daytona Beach, FL!?

Not exactly close to Daytona (Tampa area) but you might try contacting @ErikSJI  I bought some coco queen seedlings from him last May.  Others probably know of other possible sources.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Not exactly close to Daytona (Tampa area) but you might try contacting @ErikSJI  I bought some coco queen seedlings from him last May.  Others probably know of other possible sources.

You’d be surprised where I’ll go and what I’ll do for a palm I want :o

This beauty went across the St. Johns River Ferry to my last house from a Home Depot in Jacksonville that always orders random large specimens. 

00F13E56-A857-4925-B85B-70F3F948A61D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I replied in the 1st page of this thread with a number of possibilities, but forgot to include a palm which has proven to do well in Modesto.

Here it is in 2010, and here it is last year.

Hi 70˚, Lo 49˚ - showers

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

6 hours ago, NickJames said:

You’d be surprised where I’ll go and what I’ll do for a palm I want :o

This beauty went across the St. Johns River Ferry to my last house from a Home Depot in Jacksonville that always orders random large specimens. 

00F13E56-A857-4925-B85B-70F3F948A61D.jpeg

Now that's what I'm talking about!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

I replied in the 1st page of this thread with a number of possibilities, but forgot to include a palm which has proven to do well in Modesto.

Here it is in 2010, and here it is last year.

Hi 70˚, Lo 49˚ - showers

Dang Tom that is a fine specimen! Glad to know something that nice will thrive here. This climate is definitely tough to get tropicals to do well. 

33 minutes ago, NickJames said:

I picked one up tonight! Now just need to figure out where to plant it. 

You lucky dog haha I have been meaning to hit him up and see if he has any foxy ladies for sale that can be shipped =) 

T J 

Nice!  Looks like the size of my two - hopefully it will put on some good growth and really take off! :greenthumb:. It will be interesting to compare growth going forward.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

44 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Nice!  Looks like the size of my two - hopefully it will put on some good growth and really take off! :greenthumb:. It will be interesting to compare growth going forward.

When I was trying to plant it, the tree separated from the soil mix in the container. I didn’t damage the little baby root ball and I put the container soil in the hole. Do you think it’ll be OK?

My foxtail is kind of in the same part of the yard and it seems to be doing marvelously. The spot I put the coco queen in has a drip irrigation line and is on a steep grade. The drainage should be good. 

11 hours ago, NickJames said:

When I was trying to plant it, the tree separated from the soil mix in the container. I didn’t damage the little baby root ball and I put the container soil in the hole. Do you think it’ll be OK?

I think it should be OK - that's happened to me before.  Did you notice if the seed was still attached?  I think it should be far enough along to not need it anymore anyway.  Did you get it locally or was it shipped to you?

Jon Sunder

10 hours ago, Fusca said:

I think it should be OK - that's happened to me before.  Did you notice if the seed was still attached?  I think it should be far enough along to not need it anymore anyway.  Did you get it locally or was it shipped to you?

I honestly didn’t see. I don’t think it did. It had a long single root that hung down and the curved into a little circle (I assume taking the shape of the bottom of the container since it couldn’t grow any deeper). 

I got it from the EBayer someone posted above. Mr. Palm?? He was only 15 mins from my office so I just picked it up in person. 

it looks good today. Still standing upright etc. 

13 hours ago, NickJames said:

He was only 15 mins from my office so I just picked it up in person.

Excellent!  Locally grown is better and in person you can get advice regarding whether it needs to be acclimated to sun if it was shade grown.  It looks like it's going to get a lot of sun where it's planted.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Excellent!  Locally grown is better and in person you can get advice regarding whether it needs to be acclimated to sun if it was shade grown.  It looks like it's going to get a lot of sun where it's planted.

Yes, I would say it gets direct sun from about 10am until sunset. 

thank you for advice!

Here are some side-by-side comparisons for a few of my potted palms. These aren't really babied in winter. Except for being placed against a sunny, south-facing wall, they are pretty much on their own. Compare your climate data to Fresno, I'd guess they would be almost identical, with Fresno perhaps being a tad warmer (sunset zone 8/9 - the "citrus belt" on the eastern edge of the valley). 

This is my Foxy Lady (in a 15 gal container). Notice the undamaged bananas & heliconias in the back, we've had a pretty mild winter and this hybrid still spots pretty bad.

20200221_130340.thumb.jpg.df3f9cde4fb298604b052f119cd61998.jpg

Compare it to Dypsis onilahensis which looks unfazed ( the burned tips are from summer sun). 

20200221_130517.thumb.jpg.e03cc02a98755338ff300b9865f44a58.jpg

And lastly, Syagrus amara. I think this one will be a good palm for our area. Spots, but only on older leaves. 

20200221_130630.thumb.jpg.7392a5ce1ed858d817b6f031e6a3a821.jpg

• Like 2

Josue: Regardless of how it did this winter, at least you HAVE a 'foxy lady'! I've been unable to locate one via mail order. My in-ground Dypsis onilahensis with overstory protection did well this winter but had some leaf spotting.

• Upvote 1

@Josue Diaz What was the lowest temp your foxy lady saw ? I thought it was decently cold hardy ? @Hillizard I'm also in the market for one , they do seem to be tough to find. I believe premiere growers fl has them but there not cheap =/ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

12 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Josue Diaz What was the lowest temp your foxy lady saw ? I thought it was decently cold hardy ? @Hillizard I'm also in the market for one , they do seem to be tough to find. I believe premiere growers fl has them but there not cheap =/ 

We stayed above 30F all winter except for 2 nights in early Feb when we dropped to 29F. Not enough to harm even Plumeria outside in the ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Josue, that dypsis Onilahensis looks really nice! Might have to pick up one of those too! I just picked up two flamethrower palms, so we’ll see how they do once they get some height to them. Yeah our temperatures are very similar. Fresno is usually about 5 degrees warmer. My wife’s family is in Fresno and Clovis so we travel there often.  I’d say the spotting will be worth it once that lady palm gets some size on it. I’m still going to hunt for one. My larger plumeria here lost its leaves but was mostly unaffected. My smaller one was definitely damaged this winter. I agree though, this winter was pretty mild. 

9 hours ago, Whiplash87 said:

Josue, that dypsis Onilahensis looks really nice! Might have to pick up one of those too! I just picked up two flamethrower palms, so we’ll see how they do once they get some height to them. Yeah our temperatures are very similar. Fresno is usually about 5 degrees warmer. My wife’s family is in Fresno and Clovis so we travel there often.  I’d say the spotting will be worth it once that lady palm gets some size on it. I’m still going to hunt for one. My larger plumeria here lost its leaves but was mostly unaffected. My smaller one was definitely damaged this winter. I agree though, this winter was pretty mild. 

Chambeyronia are really good as understory palms. Jeff in Modesto has a killer chambeyronia that throws up massive, red leaves even without yet forming a trunk. His his RIGHT up to a north facing wall of his house. I have 5 chambeys of varying sizes. They're undamaged as long as they're planted under canopy.  There are 3 in this shot, along with an assortment of chamaedorea. 

20200218_175505.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 2

@Whiplash87

i second third fourth and fifth the motion for you to try a Beccariophoenix alfredii!

25 FF and not a scratch

and of course you have a standing invite to visit and see mine!

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And don’t be afraid to try a “mule”: Syagrus romanzoffianum X Butea capitata oh Lordy scream 

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

And

dont be afraid to try a “mule”: Syagrus romanzoffianum X Butea capitata oh Lordy scream 

I do second this. They have a fresh delivery of mule palms in 24” boxes at the Home Depot by me for $299. I almost pulled the trigger but backed off for now as I am planning an addition to my home either this summer or next and need to have it finalized before I add another large palm. They are tough and quite attractive IMO. Better looking than either of its parent palms.

Edited by James B
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, James B said:

I do second this. They have a fresh delivery of mule palms in 24” boxes at the Home Depot by me for $299. I almost pulled the trigger but backed off for now as I am planning an addition to my home either this summer or next and need to have it finalized before I add another large palm. They are tough and quite attractive IMO. Better looking than either of its parent palms.

Yowza 

hope the cages are good and stout

10 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yowza 

hope the cages are good and stout

Haha they are a beastly and impressive palm for sure.

• Like 1

I’m in zone 9b queens are bulletproof in my area, surprisingly lots of 10yr pls royals and foxtails have survived the freezes over the years. Think it helps that I’m not too far from the coast. I have 2 large foxtails  2 massive queens  that are 35 ft tall in 4 yrs planted as a 5 gallon palms. Nothing is faster then a queen. Have 2 large Bismarks that were super small are getting massive in just 3 years. Didn’t know they grew so fast.   Have 2 fairly large royals and one I just planted. I’m sure they will get zapped one of these winters 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I am Located in zone 9b in northern CA as well. my list of palms grows larger by the day! while there are a few palms which will take our direct sun! there is even more that we can pull off with a slight adjustment and some shade. the list of my palms is as follows....

Queen x 5

Sago x 5 (yes i know they arent really a palm)

king palm clusters x 3

washigntonia robusta x 3

Pygmy date x 3

Pony Tail x 3

Majesty x 3

Mediterranean fans x 2

Chinese windmill x 2

Pindo/Jelly/Butia x 2

Cardboard palm x 2 (again i know not a real palm)

Arenga engleri x 1

European Fan x 1 

Fish Tail x 1

Bolivian mountain coconut x 1

Parrot x 1

bamboo x 1

Dypsis onilahensis x 1 

Dypsis Baronii x1

Dypsis psammophilia x 1

CIDP x 1

Phoenix Dactylifera x 1

Kentia Hapala x 1

seedlings growing fine outdoors...

dypsis Pembana 

Dypsis Madagascarienus

RootSpine Palm

Macaw Palm

Rocky River Palm

Hope this list helps, as we have similar climates on paper, I am out by the delta waterways though. Cool ocean breezes and warmer nights here!

Don't forget Brahea edulis.  It is almost a California native, after a few years it can live on its own.  However, with some TLC it can look really great.  Dale Motiska has a large inventory of this palm in Vallejo.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

See if you can get some Acoelorraphe wrightii  (Everglades Palm)  They have a wild look and rough bark which I actually like. 

They seem to thrive in the central area of florida along with saw palmetto. I believe both of these will thrive in zone 9b but definitely have a wild look.