Sign in to follow this  
TomJ

!! Cold in San Diego !!

TomJ

This is from my Costco home weather station today.

Anyone else see temperatures like this?

Screenshot_2020-02-05 Personal Weather Station Dashboard Weather Underground.png

• Like 1

GottmitAlex

Whoah! That's cold. Well, today has been the coldest dawn throughout this winter for us. Hope it stays that way. 

3.3c/38F @ 6:45am in my garden. 

Before that our lowest was 5.8C/42.4F on Jan 6.

20200205_124336.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

Chester B

So strange, up here we bottomed out at 41F

GottmitAlex

As I mentioned,  temps dropped to 3.3c/38F this morning and have rebounded to 20C/68F by noon (right now @1:50pm 21c/70F) in the garden.

That said, the potted palms by the south facing wall are getting 31.5C/88.7F of heat and the wall behind them is at a toasty 35C/95F.

Here are some pics. As you can see the Adonidia merrillii has presented cold spots. Bear in mind other than where it is placed, it has had no supplemental electrical heating throughout its winters here. A little experiment.

20200205_134041.jpg

20200205_134058.jpg

20200205_134103.jpg

20200205_134112.jpg

• Like 1

SailorBold

New winter minimum in Albuquerque.. at 15.8f. Sunny and cold all day.  Could be worse.. but this isnt SD.. is that  a once a decade deal?

RJ

@TomJ How do you like the Costco weather station. I have looked at it several times. Just haven't pulled the trigger. 

Stevetoad

yeah. i hit 31f lots of canopy now so im pretty safe

TomJ
4 hours ago, RJ said:

@TomJ How do you like the Costco weather station. I have looked at it several times. Just haven't pulled the trigger. 

Cheap, easy to install, can see on my phone anywhere in the world.

Exact accuracy is in question.  I mounted mine on my roof only a foot above black asphalt shingles.

• Like 1

TomJ
On 2/7/2020 at 9:30 AM, RJ said:

Love them for the price and ease of set up and use. 

In Spring/Summer they are much cheaper in store than online.

Also different brand than they sell online as well.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I looked at some depressing statistics (https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/extreme-annual-usa-index-low-temperature.php) and it seems like every few decades most palm trees from Texas to Florida would get nuked. Maybe just Sabals would survive. I was shocked to find out that even Miami has experienced freezes in the past. In 1989 the temperatures in Austin reached 4°F, Houston 9°F and Miami 30°F. This also does not seem to be the only such event, in 1949 temps got down to -2°F in Austin, 0°F in San Antonio and in 1899 there was even a colder blast that brought snow to Florida. What I don't understand how it is possible for old Sabal Mexicanas that I see around Austin to have survived this kind of temperatures. There are lots of trees that are definitely much older than 30 years.
      I've looked at recent warming trends and it seems like they are about 2°F since 1940, and even the most extreme projections are only a few degrees in the coming decades.
      So, is the milder weather due to something else or are we destined to experience this kind of weather again?
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I thought I'd start a thread about frost after seeing very thick frost this morning. How often does your climate get frost (if it even does)? Where are you located? Are you in a cold/warm microclimate or have any? Here in Virginia, near Chester, we get frost commonly during the Winter and late Fall. Tree canopy (I use Leyland Cypress for this, it works well) and close proximity to water can protect places here from a lot of the first frosts. Here was the frost this morning, the first picture is from my front yard (exposed to the West) and the second picture is from a lot with Leyland Cypress in it. Notice how the closer you get to the Leyland Cypress the less frost there is. Also keep in mind that this was a pretty heavy frost. With light frosts, it is common for places with dense canopy above to get no frost at all. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So it will be going down to 25 tonight, which means all tropicals will be killed for the winter, the only are around me that may be spared is the islands in the reservoir, but even they might not be saved by the water. They have not had a single frost yet, even the areas right along the lake did not frost yet (I can tell by the completely unharmed bananas a trees along the water). My Cayanne Pepper plants will be killed by tomorrow. So I did my final harvest. 

• Tropicdoc
      By Tropicdoc
      Potted coconut vs. 17 degrees F