IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 7a needle spear pull

newtopalmsMD

I live in zone 7a (near Olney MD).  Last November I had one of two pups in a 15 gallon needle palm, which was planted in April, experience spear pull in November.  I did not catch it in time and the pup died.  This week I had a 3 gallon needle, still in the pot, experience spear pull.  This needle had been moved into an unheated garage whenever the temp dropped below 25F at night.  I have treated it with copper fungicide.  A couple of squirts into the crown.  So am i having just some bad luck, or is spear pull kind of common for needles in colder damp periods of the year? (even though these are clearly the most cold hardy palms).  If the latter, is there a course of treatment to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks

It’s cold and forever damp here for months during the winter. Never had it bother a needle. I find they don’t develop the black spots on the fronds like a butia would. I have 8 of various sizes in the ground, from a small three leaf seedling to one over 4’ around. The only time I ever damages one was after i transplanted it during the heat of summer and didn’t water it enough. It spear pulled but quickly recovered with the fall rains. 

Dont forget palms in pots aren’t nearly as hardy. I’d be inclined to bring them in any time you experience at or near freezing temps. 

I am having the same problem I have two large 3-5g needles and they spear pulled at 17.  I have been treating with fungicide and hydrogen peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide is better than copper fungicide in that overapplying the later or using a mix with too high a concentration of copper will poison a palm. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Steve in Florida said:

Hydrogen peroxide is better than copper fungicide in that overapplying the later or using a mix with too high a concentration of copper will poison a palm. 

I agree! Cheaper and overall better in my opinion. Plus can work in the soil a lot easier as well. Honestly have you over watered them possibly? My needles don't mind cold wet winters mostly and they are completely unprotected and have terrible placement. But I have noticed that native palms typically aren't fans of post in general. Could be wrong though...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

No spear pull but I lost my 5+ gallon Needle this winter, it had scale and I guess I caught it a bit too late, it sustained heavy damage the first time the temperature dipped into the upper 20’s at night, I’ve never had that happen before with any palm. It’s been a mild winter too, which adds insult to injury.

But I’ve lost more palms to damp weather than anything else, even outside of winter. I’m almost certain that’s why yours have experienced spear pull. Copper fungicide helps to prevent spear rot from occurring, but hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that has worked to treat it (for me).

Edited by cm05

On 2/4/2020 at 11:55 PM, newtopalmsMD said:

is spear pull kind of common for needles in colder damp periods of the year? 

I had spear pull on all of the 3 gallon big box store "blue pot special" needle palms during the first winter I had them in the ground Z8 NC.  This happened from temps an established needle would laugh at.  They all recovered with not much more help than some Hydrogen peroxide.   They have never since had an issue, even with snow and freezing rain in the crowns for a week during the epic 100 year freeze we had a couple winters ago.   Seems like it just takes them a year or two to settle in from being grown in Florida.

Thanks to all.  To answer the question of over watering, I don't think that's the problem.   The 15 gallon needle that had spear pull a year ago November had been in the ground since the previous April and had basically just been watered by rain.  The 3 gallon potted palm was only being watered about twice a month, only when the pot was dry to the touch.  Let me ask about the use of hydrogen peroxide.  Does this get used prophylactically? like once a month during the winter?  or just when there is signs of problem?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, newtopalmsMD said:

Thanks to all.  To answer the question of over watering, I don't think that's the problem.   The 15 gallon needle that had spear pull a year ago November had been in the ground since the previous April and had basically just been watered by rain.  The 3 gallon potted palm was only being watered about twice a month, only when the pot was dry to the touch.  Let me ask about the use of hydrogen peroxide.  Does this get used prophylactically? like once a month during the winter?  or just when there is signs of problem?

Thanks

I just use when there is a problem and pour about 1/3 to half bottle down the spear hole after pulling out dead tissue.  If it's in a pot try to keep dry afterwards.  maybe repeat 1-2 times once a week and check for new growth.   My needle is in a super wet area almost mucky clay area and is doing ok so far.  My Trachy are also in a wet area and doing great.

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

On 2/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, Nj Palms said:

I am having the same problem I have two large 3-5g needles and they spear pulled at 17.  I have been treating with fungicide and hydrogen peroxide.

Potted? iF SO, THAT IS NORMAL FOR POTTED. I had 5 gallon needle that I planted in the ground and she was good to go for years before I moved!

Edited by Chaz517

On 2/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, Chaz517 said:

Potted? iF SO, THAT IS NORMAL FOR POTTED. I had 5 gallon needle that I planted in the ground and she was good to go for years before I moved!

They are in the ground.

• Like 1