IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold Hardy Palms in San Antonio Riverwalk

HoustonTropical

Beautiful!

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Brahea armata:

IMG_20190407_140736.jpg

Phoenix reclinata and Acoelorrhaphe wrightii:

IMG_20190407_140326.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

40 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Some more:

Brahea edulis (I think)

IMG_20190407_141832.jpg

Not 100% certain but think this is Brahea brandegeei. B. edulis is typically a lot greener/ thicker trunk.. Has that California fan palm "look" from a distance, at least to my eyes.. lol. Nice specimen regardless.. Impressed to see Acoelorrhaphe wrightii, ( ..and a nice specimen at that.. ) there also. :greenthumb:

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

13 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not 100% certain but think this is Brahea brandegeei

Thanks Nathan.  I'm not very good at ID-ing Braheas besides armata, clara and calcarea.  There are several other species scattered around including Serenoa repens, Bismarckia, xButiagrus, Syagrus romanzoffiana, Livistona chinensis and decora, Rhapis excelsa, multiple Chamaedoreas, Trachycarpus, and of course tons of Washingtonia and Sabal.  There's even a large Jubaea that was planted in 1968.  I'll have to get some pics of those next time I'm down there.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

7 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I’ve been wanting to make a trip out there again, and photograph the river walk and botanical garden.

Let me know if you come this way.  I'd recommend a visit to Oblate School of Theology as well.  They have more species of palms planted there than the botanical garden and they're all outside surviving the elements.

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

Made another trip to the riverwalk this weekend and took some palmy pics.  Sun occasionally made an appearance but in general did not cooperate.

This Jubaea chilensis was supposedly planted for the 1968 HemisFair.  So far it has not yet flowered.

IMG_20200216_144519.thumb.jpg.c688840ca97f6362a98f1c8b3313d548.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei:

IMG_20200216_144427.thumb.jpg.a00ef68e83e0162ef985dd501ff725b5.jpg

Washingtonia filifera:

IMG_20200216_144332.thumb.jpg.51020b97835aa93949f5b52bb1ef4e54.jpg

Chamaedorea sp:

IMG_20200216_143639.thumb.jpg.4fcbc66281bf9ca051bf6c8653e44130.jpg

Rhapis excelsa

IMG_20200216_143614.thumb.jpg.687719fb2187aa95a6f394bef3e870d8.jpg

Phoenix roebelenii:

IMG_20200216_143129.thumb.jpg.a7ca38b74d4492aef56b3230b254557f.jpg  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Made another trip to the riverwalk this weekend and took some palmy pics.  Sun occasionally made an appearance but in general did not cooperate.

This Jubaea chilensis was supposedly planted for the 1968 HemisFair.  So far it has not yet flowered.

IMG_20200216_144519.thumb.jpg.c688840ca97f6362a98f1c8b3313d548.jpg

Oof!:rolleyes:  50-ish years planted, and no flowers/ fruit yet.. Feel kind of sorry for anyone starting off w/ seedlings right now.. " You might see yours flower, for the first time, in  ...2090, or 2120" :floor:

• Upvote 1

It's not a rocket by any means!  It is in mostly shade so that doesn't help with the speed.  Probably has 12-15' of clear trunk.  Some think it's a hybrid.  I recently germinated one myself just to do it and don't expect to see a trunk!  More pics coming so stay tuned!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 2/4/2020 at 7:06 AM, Fusca said:

Let me know if you come this way.  I'd recommend a visit to Oblate School of Theology as well.  They have more species of palms planted there than the botanical garden and they're all outside surviving the elements.

They also have a very impressive collection of tropical dicot trees by San Antonio standards. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Chamaerops and Sabal mexicana:

Riverwalk Sabals.jpg

Livistona chinensis:

Riverwalk Livistona chinensis.jpg

Livistona decora:

Riverwalk Livistona decora.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis and Arenga engleri planted too close to each other:

Riverwalk Bizzie Arenga.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 6

Jon Sunder

Nice group of mule palms:

Riverwalk mules.jpg

Silver Serenoa repens:

Riverwalk Serenoa.jpg

Sabal palmettos:

Riverwalk palmettos.jpg

Washingtonia robusta and filibusta:

Riverwalk Washie robusta.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 6

Jon Sunder

43 minutes ago, Xenon said:

They also have a very impressive collection of tropical dicot trees by San Antonio standards. 

Very true - seems to me I remember seeing silk floss tree there.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, RJ said:

I wouldn't of guessed a bizzy would hardy there.... 

It's a pretty good microclimate there due to the water and urban heat.  There are tall buildings all around much of the area as well.

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple comments. I have only been in Texas for 20 years. But I go to the River walk 1-2 times a year. That is a Jubea cross, at least that is what the consensus has been. Nevertheless, it has flowered because one year and if I recall they had seeds that looked like pindo seeds on ground. Unless, I am dreaming. Another year I saw old inflorances and found no seeds. Nevertheless, It has doubled in size since I first saw it. I have a picture from 20 years ago. If only I could find it on an old roll of film, no digital quite yet. 

The Riverwalk has a frost and freeze microclimate almost every year, but has not been below 9b once since 1990. In 2010-2011 when Queens we’re killed at the Alamo just a block over and Mules severally damaged and removed from the Botanical gardens. Only thing that was damaged were a Triangle and Foxtails. They’re were not in the best microclimate and were more exposed. However the queen there was not even frost burned. They took out the foxtails as the had just been planted and were small. The triangle was alive with a good frond but I think they took it out at some point. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 2/4/2020 at 7:06 AM, Fusca said:

There were quite a frw palms killed there in 2010-2011. Royals Teddy bears etc.. that inner courtyard has a good microclimate.... so I wouldn’t say it’s possibly replicate for a home owner to build a school a few stories high with 4 walls and just a small entrance.

but thank you whoever planted them! 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

43 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

That is a Jubea cross, at least that is what the consensus has been. Nevertheless, it has flowered because one year and if I recall they had seeds that looked like pindo seeds on ground

From old threads here there were comments that it might be a hybrid but it seems to carry more Jubaea traits than anything.  Nice to know that it has flowered in the past - everyone I had asked told me that it had not flowered to their knowledge, but it's been there awhile.  I've only been here in SA 3 years and I haven't seen any evidence of flowering during the past 3 years.  Jubaea fruit look a lot like Butia fruit so I imagine a cross would produce similar fruit to either parent.  Nice to see you posting again!

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

Never saw that Jubea cross but I distinctly remember a number of mature queen palms along the Riverwalk. Sadly, I guess they passed in the cold episode that you referenced.

What you look for is what is looking

12 hours ago, bubba said:

Never saw that Jubea cross but I distinctly remember a number of mature queen palms along the Riverwalk. Sadly, I guess they passed in the cold episode that you referenced.

There are still a couple of Syagrus along the riverwalk but they are in mostly shaded spots up against tall buildings so are difficult to photograph.  Ones in the open might have passed as you mentioned.

Jon Sunder