Morabeza

Coccothrinax macroglossa 'Azul' update

Morabeza

In 2007 I bought a few seedlings from Floribunda (they came from RPS originally) and grew them for 3 years before donating them to the Koko Crater Botanical Garden, O'ahu. Then they were too young to show any of the promised glaucous colour.

I recently got to see them again 10 years later, established at the garden. I was delighted to see them, but rather let down by how green the leaves are. The undersides are a wonderful silver but the tops are mostly green with a very light glaucous sheen.

Did anyone else have theirs turn out green? I have recently seen a few growers here with ones that turned out blue (hooray!). Is there variation in habitat with respect to leaf colour or is it possible that the seeds were from a non-glaucous population?

If you're growing seeds from this batch or the 'Azul' type, please feel free to post your pics and or tell us how you've got on with yours.

IMG-9464.thumb.jpg.c9a35b72658dbea10383c8bfc28b23ae.jpg

IMG-9441.thumb.jpg.e74bde73761e64b3a0bab966a4c87014.jpgIMG-9455.thumb.jpg.83f0ef2e6baab92db73cc57b455de791.jpg

Edited by Morabeza
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1