IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia seed nodules?

Palms Brisbane

Question about Bismarkia seeds.
I recently bought 200 fresh fruits. I removed the fruit and scrubbed the seeds. 190 were fine and sunk in bucket of water. The question I have 10 seeds have odd nodules on them... is this bugs? Just seed secreting? should i bin them? Any help is appreciated.

D723A8D1-E1E9-464C-B51B-182467852097.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Question about Bismarkia seeds.
I recently bought 200 fresh fruits. I removed the fruit and scrubbed the seeds. 190 were fine and sunk in bucket of water. The question I have 10 seeds have odd nodules on them... is this bugs? Just seed secreting? should i bin them? Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to try sprouting them anyway, soak them in an insecticide solution and put them in a sealed baggy separate from the other 190 seeds.  If they rot or have a fungus, at least you won't contaminate the other seeds with whatever it is.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to try sprouting them anyway, soak them in an insecticide solution and put them in a sealed baggy separate from the other 190 seeds.  If they rot or have a fungus, at least you won't contaminate the other seeds with whatever it is.

Thank you. Yes, I did exactly that. Was just curious if anyone has seen this before and knew what it was. Will see how it progresses. Thanks.

That is quite a project!  Hope you get some good results.  When they start germinating they will need a deep container for the first root goes down about 12-14".

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

That is quite a project!  Hope you get some good results.  When they start germinating they will need a deep container for the first root goes down about 12-14".

Thanks. Agree, I might have overcommited haha. Container is 50cm (19 inch) deep,  should hopefully be deep enough for the sinker root. First time trying Bismarckia, I am sure I will learn more through this process.

16 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Welcome to the forums!

I have to agree with kinzyjr.   That is not normal, so it is either bacterial, fungal, or a viral abnormality.  Treat with insecticide, antifungal, and keep away from the other good seeds.  Good luck!

I would appear that you are about to have a Bismarckia farm!  :D    Welcome to PT!    

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

It has been 4 weeks and 1 day. Checked a couple seeds. Seem germination has started :).

BCB802F0-39E5-4C0F-846A-99EF44E03E23.jpeg

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, steve99 said:

Crikey, they germinated quickly.  I might have to put my prices up.

Haha. Real test will be the germination rate, but too early to tell at this stage. If these work out well Ill buy more next year :)

• 1 month later...