IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The strip, my community project

redant

When I moved here 17 years ago this piece of land was nothing but invasive exotics and weeds, plus lots of trash. It's not irrigated, the soil is terrible and nothing is fertilized due to the location next to a canal. The video starts at the newest planting and works down to the more mature area in front of my house.  Everything was grown from seed from palms on my property. People seem to think I'm crazy because I work this land and keep it nice, they don't even pick up a piece of trash on there daily walk. It amazes me how lazy so many people are with no effort to improve the area around them. 

Edited by redant
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 hours ago, redant said:

. People seem to think I'm crazy because I work this land and keep it nice, they don't even pick up a piece of trash on there daily walk. It amazes me how lazy so many people are with no effort to improve the area around them. 

I get that too! I pick up a full stuffed tall kitchen bag of garbage twice a week on the strip between the street and canal here. And like you, it's not a through street so most of the garbage is tossed out car windows by my neighbors! I've tried to explain to them that we don't do that here in America with little improvement over the years. Notably, there's regularly a high concentration of trash tossed in front of my home as if they're trying to save me the walk, so I end up picking up the trash in front of my house daily!

Your strip is looking great! Did you start so long ago that the big Roystonea regia was from your seed?

The Lake Worth Drainage District is in charge of the canals here and will not allow any plantings on their property. I've tried on the edges of property under their control a few times. They've slowly been clearing the sides of all the canals here and then just allowing whatever weeds will grow which are mowed 4 times a year. I do understand why from a maintenance point of view but it really hurts the aesthetics. When I bought my home the far side of my canal had naturalized from the time the canal had been dug so there was lots of Sabal palmetto etc.  I had a beautiful wooded area as my view. Since then they cleared that side and now our view is not nearly as nice. I really hope that doesn't happen to your strip!

I planted along this fence on the edge of the LWDD property about 300' and the next time the mowers showed up they tagged every plant, must have taken them a couple hours.

20181122_124405_zpsisj7zy0g.jpg

20190724_153016_zps4fqgyany.jpg

20190724_152543_zpsalzbviin.jpg

• Like 3

Yes the Roystonea regia from seed from my tree, everything except the pines, palmetto and sabals. I had the guy across the cannel bitch at me for removing the invasive stuff as he liked it. I told him sorry not your land, I don't tell you what to do on your property.  There has been other weird things like that some people just love to bitch and complain yet they do nothing to improve the area. Sorry about your bad experience and yeah I pick up the exact same beer cans every day so someone who lives here also just tosses the cans out the window daily.

Jupiter FL

2 hours ago, redant said:

I pick up the exact same beer cans every day so someone who lives here also just tosses the cans out the window daily

I know this all too well ^^^^.  And WOW you've been at it quite a while to have a Royal that size!

• Like 1

Great video. I find that not only do passersby ignore trash but some of them go out of their way to pitch it onto our property. I don't understand why people like to tarnish natural beauty.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

16 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Great video. I find that not only do passersby ignore trash but some of them go out of their way to pitch it onto our property. I don't understand why people like to tarnish natural beauty.

It's because they are trashy people.  :bummed:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

I like the video! You have a nice selection of palms. Bummer about the trashy neighbors. I get that here too but not that bad. One time I was working on the garden and these teens were walking by and one threw a cup in my yard. I asked him you're going to pick that up right?

• Like 1

Today as I picked up the trash I thought of this thread. This is less than a days worth of the trash thrown out just in front of my house on "the strip".   Note the absence of beer containers because it was picked up after beer thirty yesterday but before beer thirty today. Thank you neighbors, love living near you.

20200129_160631_zpsgrfyajg9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

Today as I picked up the trash I thought of this thread. This is less than a days worth of the trash thrown out just in front of my house on "the strip".   Note the absence of beer containers because it was picked up after beer thirty yesterday but before beer thirty today. Thank you neighbors, love living near you.

20200129_160631_zpsgrfyajg9.jpg

Yeah my area is not nearly that bad but seriously, throwing trash out the window, ugh.  

Jupiter FL

Better version, tried to edit the original but it's not letting me. , afternoon sun instead of the glaring morning.

Jupiter FL

Doug, Wow nice, and a lot of work.

Who needs a big yard? :D

John, pity that the canal property is required to be kept clear, but at least you were given the courtesy of a polite tagging/warning.

Our council would have just mowed them over.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

1 hour ago, redant said:

Better version

Looks like a park! Probably added 5 grand to the price of the home for sale!

"This home enjoys a beautiful common waterfront garden area maintained by local palm nut." ahaha

• Like 4

Impressive! I love it.

Ours can be an eyesore at times. You’ve inspired me to do something with this, thank you:

C2E597BB-C255-4D63-B16D-A87091D4C1D8.thumb.jpeg.51107fdb6ac0b18d547a90bea2fd90f4.jpeg08F4FFFE-0485-443E-BD5B-D4F5AC290142.thumb.jpeg.50827218acb899d31e4e9a3ce9973853.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

Ours can be an eyesore at times. You’ve inspired me to do something with this, thank you:

That sir, is a blank canvas begging to become a beautiful place! Soil, water, sunlight, open space, and you don't even have to clear before planting!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

That sir, is a blank canvas begging to become a beautiful place! Soil, water, sunlight, open space, and you don't even have to clear before planting!

Should be fun. It’s just an irrigation canal, but that is the same water one would use in their yard. It doesn’t rain much, so placement should be crucial.

9 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

It’s just an irrigation canal

Irrigation? Or drainage? Where is it in relation to your home?

1 hour ago, jimmyt said:

Have we really changed that much afterall?

I remember that commercial! 

Where I lived up North things improved dramatically. I remember seeing rivers where all the fish were gone and some where the rocks and riverbed were black from chemicals pumped into the rivers. The Naugatuck river South of a Uniroyal plant in CT was nasty. Today those rivers have cleansed themselves and fish were reintroduced.

Unfortunately most of my neighbors are immigrants from a third world country where they didn't have TV back then never mind commercials, and it's acceptable common practice in their home country to just throw garbage on the ground whether in a vehicle, riding an animal, or walking. I see them do things like eat a bananna or orange and throw the skin on their own front lawn. Granted it'll decompose but really, the front lawn? I've discussed the trash issue with a couple of them who understand English fairly well to try to understand why so many of them do it and that's how I learned the common practices in their homeland.

Some countries surprise me. Have you ever noticed that there's very little litter/trash in pics from Cuba?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Irrigation? Or drainage? Where is it in relation to your home

well, both in a way. It’s right below my neighborhood, where the irrigation surfaces and joins the creek bed. It gets shallow passed that point and often evaporated downstream. 
the creek itself doesn’t flow unless it’s currently raining. But there is always water right here 

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

I remember that commercial! 

Where I lived up North things improved dramatically. I remember seeing rivers where all the fish were gone and some where the rocks and riverbed were black from chemicals pumped into the rivers. The Naugatuck river South of a Uniroyal plant in CT was nasty. Today those rivers have cleansed themselves and fish were reintroduced.

Unfortunately most of my neighbors are immigrants from a third world country where they didn't have TV back then never mind commercials, and it's acceptable common practice in their home country to just throw garbage on the ground whether in a vehicle, riding an animal, or walking. I see them do things like eat a bananna or orange and throw the skin on their own front lawn. Granted it'll decompose but really, the front lawn? I've discussed the trash issue with a couple of them who understand English fairly well to try to understand why so many of them do it and that's how I learned the common practices in their homeland.

Some countries surprise me. Have you ever noticed that there's very little litter/trash in pics from Cuba?

In reality things have gotten better as far as blatant littering and pollution.  I bet there is no littering in Cuba due to the penalties for the crime.  Or do they just have a little more civil pride?

On 1/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, NOT A TA said:

Looks like a park! Probably added 5 grand to the price of the home for sale!

"This home enjoys a beautiful common waterfront garden area maintained by local palm nut." ahaha

It amazes me how people don't understand that. When someone looks to buy a home they look at the surroundings, not just the 1 home. There is a very expensive gated community right by me, they mow the smallest amount of grass in front of there entrance, past the small plantings in front the community is lined with invasive exotics, I mow the grass along the strip otherwise it is never mowed, I pick up the trash on the strip in front, otherwise it just piles up. These are million dollar homes, expensive cars coming in and out. and nobody even seems to think that some guy down the road, having nothing to do with there community is the one who maintains it.  probably if it was not before my house and my twice a day walk with my dogs I might not be as willing to do this but I can't stand driving by such crap.  

• Like 4

Jupiter FL