IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

is there a z9 philodendron list?

gilles06

Hi folks,

I love big leaves philodendron, i got one selloum. It is ok in my z9 méditerranean climate.

Which others big leaves philo i could try? Maybe some argentinan or south brazilan are predicted?

Thanks

• Like 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I have had Jose Buono outside for 3 years in 9A Florida

• Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Thank you guys, i have never heard about theese ones.

^_^

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I have this one, it survived a -5°C  freeze (just barely survived in a protected spot), probably there is no hope to have it identified, philodendrons are difficult to tell apart

Tomas

IMG_1230.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, Jeff985 said:

Philodendron rojo congo have done well for me. They don’t like direct sun though. 

I have several in part sun and they are doing well in a borderline 9b/9a.  They did ok with a short duration 25F freeze, only a bit of burn.  One is in full shade until about 4pm and then in full blasting sun until 7pm in the summer.  The others bleached a bit in direct mid-day sun after a big water oak died above them, but survived okay. 

I also have "Moonlight" and "Prince Orange" in protected areas near my front porch, they are great in full shade and had no problems at 33-34F but haven't been tested at lower temps or with frost yet.  "Hope" is a slightly smaller version of Selloum, I have 4 in a part-shade area next to some Viburnum hedges.  They are fast growers too and pretty, but I don't know about their temperature or frost tolerance.

I have several Xanadu and they did really well in the 25F 1 hour freeze in both a protected area and out in the open.  They also don't like full sun in FL and are much happier in part shade.

The photo Tomas posted looks similar to the one called "Burle Marx."  I have a few babies in pots and am going to unleash them into the backyard this year.  Apparently they make a pretty good ground cover and are reasonably cold tolerant.

The other thing you can do with Selloum/Bipinnatifidum is turn them into a tree.  If you cut off the lower leaves regularly then they'll grow an actual trunk, I've seen some up to about 10 feet tall.  It's a, er, "unique" look, and some people might hate it.  I'm doing it with one just for my own amusement.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Here's an example of a Bipinnatifidum trimmed into a tree shape, just by cutting off the lower leaves.  It's odd and kinda interesting.  Mine is about half that height. 

https://garden.org/plants/photo/13407/

Those are fairly common around here. My neighbor has one with about six feet of trunk. I need to buy one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I have several in part sun and they are doing well in a borderline 9b/9a.  They did ok with a short duration 25F freeze, only a bit of burn.  One is in full shade until about 4pm and then in full blasting sun until 7pm in the summer.  The others bleached a bit in direct mid-day sun after a big water oak died above them, but survived okay. 

I also have "Moonlight" and "Prince Orange" in protected areas near my front porch, they are great in full shade and had no problems at 33-34F but haven't been tested at lower temps or with frost yet.  "Hope" is a slightly smaller version of Selloum, I have 4 in a part-shade area next to some Viburnum hedges.  They are fast growers too and pretty, but I don't know about their temperature or frost tolerance.

I have several Xanadu and they did really well in the 25F 1 hour freeze in both a protected area and out in the open.  They also don't like full sun in FL and are much happier in part shade.

The photo Tomas posted looks similar to the one called "Burle Marx."  I have a few babies in pots and am going to unleash them into the backyard this year.  Apparently they make a pretty good ground cover and are reasonably cold tolerant.

The other thing you can do with Selloum/Bipinnatifidum is turn them into a tree.  If you cut off the lower leaves regularly then they'll grow an actual trunk, I've seen some up to about 10 feet tall.  It's a, er, "unique" look, and some people might hate it.  I'm doing it with one just for my own amusement.

Would say " X Hope" is slightly hardier than regular 'ol selloum but can't say by how much.  Xanadu is definitely tough..  though i don't think i'd push them below 25-27F out in the open..  It can also build into a mini, tree- like form over time, but not nearly as dramatically as selloum. 

• Like 1