IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nice palms with the same Cold Hardiness as a Royal

Palmfarmer

Since i found a few Royals around town i figuer i will try and grow something a bit more tropical this spring and make a proper protection "cabinet" for the winter. My only Criteria is that they need to be somewhat fast growing. And i am actually considering a Dwarf Coconut just for the fun of it among other things. 

• Like 1

Just a few that seem to do OK here in addition to Royals (with similar hardiness): Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtail), Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Dypsis leptocheilos.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

11 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Dypsis decaryi
Ravenea rivularis 
Acrocomia 
Phoenix rupicola
Ptychosperma elegans 

P elegans aren’t as hardy as royals unfortunately. :(

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Carpentaria might be worth a try. They’re not quite as hardy as royals, but I understand they have decent cold tolerance and they’re one of the fastest growing palms.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

P elegans aren’t as hardy as royals unfortunately. :(

Not truly as hardy as an established royal, but I've seen them do well completely exposed and neglected in Galveston (high 9b) for several years before real mid 20s type cold took them out. Seem to be okay with a quick dip in the high 20s.

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

As always, we need to define hardy!  P. elegans do fine here, whereas Royals would have no chance.  P. elegans are much more cool hardy.

• Like 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

9 hours ago, Xenon said:

Not truly as hardy as an established royal, but I've seen them do well completely exposed and neglected in Galveston (high 9b) for several years before real mid 20s type cold took them out. Seem to be okay with a quick dip in the high 20s.

Many of them were killed here from 27-28 in 2018, whereas nearly all the royals survived. I had hoped P elegans would be a good candidate for this area but it wasn’t the case. 

The issue may be whether you can give it enough water and will the soil retain it.  Royals like water, not sure durango city mexico is a subtropical climate, more mediterranean influence with pacific weather and only 13 inches of rain a year.  Just because you see a royal doesn't mean they are easy to grow.  Big ones are pretty tough, but if you plan to grow one from young you will need lots of water. and care in your dry climate.  If you want something that is more drought tolerant, there are much better choices than royals or kings.  A few might be parajubaea sp, dypsis decipiens, or beccariophoenix alfredii.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks a lot for great suggestions i will take them into consideration. I take it that Bismarckia Will do completly fine once it gets some size in this climate? I am just wondering how much growth I can very roughly get in a season out of a 80cm plant (with the leafs). we get 6 months of solid heat per year at least and a lot of bright light being close to the equator will help? 

How about some smaller palms that are on the edge in my climate, i like dwarf palms a lot also. 

On 1/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, RedRabbit said:

Many of them were killed here from 27-28 in 2018, whereas nearly all the royals survived. I had hoped P elegans would be a good candidate for this area but it wasn’t the case. 

I have a Pytchosperma elegans over here in coastal volusia thats about 10 ft that did fine in 2018. But Its under oak canopy so that probably saved it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reeverse said:

I have a Pytchosperma elegans over here in coastal volusia thats about 10 ft that did fine in 2018. But Its under oak canopy so that probably saved it. 

We have one in town that has been there since 2015.  No canopy but on the east side of a large parking garage.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

7 minutes ago, Reeverse said:

I think about 50% died here, staying out of the wind was key. 

• Like 2