IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I’m part of the club now...

Oviedo_z10b_lol

Got my first rare-ish (ie: not from a big box store) palm in the ground. 15 gallon arenga engleri. 

I hope you’re all proud of yourselves. I’ve been lurking for months. Stealing knowledge, experience and ideas. Now I have the bug. It’s all of your collective faults. 

310B0D02-9AB1-41A6-B3EA-C3E6304A5DC4.jpeg

B7E45717-1664-4C35-BF97-2B34C71A78C8.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Cool. Welcome and good choice. I recently had to whack mine back because it was taking over in its spot. Photo from today

Sorry it’s hiding under archontophoenix and rhopalostylis baueri!

19C5CD16-38E9-4FA9-8504-4E50C4F35E3E.jpeg

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 5

Welcome. We are insidious and relentless. You are just getting started.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Welcome and nice pickup!

This forum is a great place for knowledge, tips and photos for inspiration. 

Be prepared to open your wallet. Lol. 

• Like 1

@Oviedo_z10b_lol  Nice pick up!  Have you made a "wish list" yet?

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 1/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Got my first rare-ish (ie: not from a big box store) palm in the ground. 15 gallon arenga engleri. I hope you’re all proud of yourselves. I’ve been lurking for months. Stealing knowledge, experience and ideas. Now I have the bug. It’s all of your collective faults. 

Nice choice!  I have a couple of Arengas in the ground, 4 pots of Engleri, 3 Pinnata, 2 Micrantha.  Engleri is probably one of my favorite palms, with big broad arching leaves, medium growth speed and excellent cold and sun hardiness.  Did you get that from Lukas?  I saw a couple of big pots there last week.  I think they were $250 for one about that size or maybe a little larger.

Out of curiosity, what's the yellow bamboo behind it?  It sort of looks like a Bambusa like Asian Lemon (Eutuldoides Viridi-Vittata) but could be something else.  I just got the "boo-bug" and was just posting in the off topic forums about big leaf bamboos.  A friend's neighbor planted an aggressively running bamboo years back and it's been a continuous nightmare for them, with culms popping up 20+ feet from the original planting.  So I kinda ignored bamboos until I realized how easy it was to control the clumpers.

Edited by Merlyn2220
  • Like 1

Welcome to the club!

You are aware that there is no way out... ;) 

best regards from Okinawa - home of Arenga engleri and ryukyuensis.

Lars

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 11:25 AM, Jeff985 said:

Welcome to the support group. 

What support group? It's all a bunch of enablers! :evil:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, branislav said:

What support group? It's all a bunch of enablers! :evil:

Can’t argue with that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Nice choice!  I have a couple of Arengas in the ground, 4 pots of Engleri, 3 Pinnata, 2 Micrantha.  Engleri is probably one of my favorite palms, with big broad arching leaves, medium growth speed and excellent cold and sun hardiness.  Did you get that from Lukas?  I saw a couple of big pots there last week.  I think they were $250 for one about that size or maybe a little larger.

Out of curiosity, what's the yellow bamboo behind it?  It sort of looks like a Bambusa like Asian Lemon (Eutuldoides Viridi-Vittata) but could be something else.  I just got the "boo-bug" and was just posting in the off topic forums about big leaf bamboos.  A friend's neighbor planted an aggressively running bamboo years back and it's been a continuous nightmare for them, with culms popping up 20+ feet from the original planting.  So I kinda ignored bamboos until I realized how easy it was to control the clumpers.

Yup, got it fork Lukas. It was the only 15g they had. And since I’m not the hulk, I can’t handle the 30 or 45 myself. They also have some really nice B. Alfredis. 
that is bambusa pain-in-the-a**. Actually not sure, I think it’s slender weavers. previous owners planted it to block out the McMansions built behind the property. It’s clumping but I neglected it for the first year and a half after we bought the house. So I’ve been trimming it back all fall/winter. I’ve found that if you dig a small trench around the grove, that helps to keep it in check. 

• Like 1

I have that particular species of Arenga in a container in the North.  It's a terrific palm! Sugar Palm is robust and has decent cold tolerance.  They SHOULD be more popular even as indoor palms..., why Majesty Palms are pushed ad nauseam is beyond me!

• Like 1

Get to a palms anonymous meeting asap there is still hope for you at this point but don't wait to long. Lol Cheers welcome aboard 

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 5:44 PM, kinzyjr said:

@Oviedo_z10b_lol  Nice pick up!  Have you made a "wish list" yet?

Thanks. As far as my list, I’m pretty simple. I’m picking up a 30g B. Alfredi this week. Then I just need 3 A. Cunninghamianas and this side of the backyard is set. 
Any planting advice for those 2 species is greatly appreciated. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Thanks. As far as my list, I’m pretty simple. I’m picking up a 30g B. Alfredi this week. Then I just need 3 A. Cunninghamianas and this side of the backyard is set. 

Cunninghamiana likes shade and water. Lots of water. When you think you’ve given it enough water, give it some more. When you think you are going to drown it. Give some more water. It’s really impossible to over water them. Just a heads up though... Before you obtain all the palms on your list, it will expand. It’ll never be enough. 

28 minutes ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Plant the Beccariophoenix in full sun, it will make a huge difference in the growth rate. 

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Just a thought maybe plant 3 types of Archontophoenx to diversify. You will run out of space before you know it. Tuckeri are a great fast growing species also maxima are fast with a red new leaf and purpurea are beautiful also but on the slow side for the genus 

2 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

I thought my collection was complete with a Sylvester, a Canary Date, a couple of Pindos, Spindles, Majesties, Chinese and even a pair of Reclinata!  Now I have 55 species and 128 palms in the ground, and about 115 more in pots, mostly seedling sized.  I decided that I hate mowing grass, so adding more palms was an easy choice!  :D

Regarding the Beccariophoenix, definitely lots of sun and lots of water.  I have 5 in the ground all in full sun, and the fastest by a long shot is the one that gets drowned by a gutter downspout daily in the summer.  That one went from 6 to 10' last year while the others are all under 8' in similar soil.

I read the same about Cunninghamiana, that you can basically drown them and they'll be happy.  "Constantly moist soil" seems to get repeated often, sort of like with Majesty palms.  Putting them in a spot with early AM sun may help them survive AM freezes in the winter.  B. Alfredii is likely hardier than Cunninghamiana, if that makes a difference on your placement choices.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

As far as my list, I’m pretty simple. I’m picking up a 30g B. Alfredi this week. Then I just need 3 A. Cunninghamianas and this side of the backyard is set. 

Welcome!  ^^^ Temporarily....  hahaha We shall see how long that lasts!

34 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I decided that I hate mowing grass, so adding more palms was an easy choice! 

Didn't even have a lawnmower by the time I moved out of my last house. Promised myself I wouldn't get "carried away" here but somehow every year there is less and less lawn left. Currently need to replace the lawnmower...... hmmmmmmm

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Didn't even have a lawnmower by the time I moved out of my last house. Promised myself I wouldn't get "carried away" here but somehow every year there is less and less lawn left. Currently need to replace the lawnmower...... hmmmmmmm

My goal (shhhhh...don't tell my wife!) is to be able to "mow" the yard with my weedwhacker!  I just filled in a 15' x 30' section with topsoil and mulch, and am about to fill in a 12' x 60' section next week...  :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

My goal (shhhhh...don't tell my wife!) is to be able to "mow" the yard with my weedwhacker!  I just filled in a 15' x 30' section with topsoil and mulch, and am about to fill in a 12' x 60' section next week...  :D

I envy you.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Honey, is that a new palm?   You mean that old thing?, it was in the back !  :innocent:

• Like 5

San Francisco, California

13 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Honey, is that a new palm?   You mean that old thing?, it was in the back !  :innocent:

HAHA.......a common statement at my house.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Got my first rare-ish (ie: not from a big box store) palm in the ground. 15 gallon arenga engleri. 

When this species flowers it is quite fragrant which is an added plus.   While from a height standpoint they don't get too large, they continually push out new shoots and the older ones will die because it is a monocarpic species.  Just be aware that the clump will grow over time as you plant things adjacent to it. 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 1/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

I hope you’re all proud of yourselves. I’ve been lurking for months. Stealing knowledge, experience and ideas. Now I have the bug. It’s all of your collective faults. 

310B0D02-9AB1-41A6-B3EA-C3E6304A5DC4.jpeg

I'm gloatingly delighted to see another member of our large, diffuse, family.

See my PM (Private message).

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

18 minutes ago, Tracy said:

When this species flowers it is quite fragrant which is an added plus.   While from a height standpoint they don't get too large, they continually push out new shoots and the older ones will die because it is a monocarpic species.  Just be aware that the clump will grow over time as you plant things adjacent to it. 

@Oviedo_z10b_lol, @Tracy understates things a lot.

When they bloom, they fill their immediate vicinity with fragrance. One of my names for it is the Magic Oriental Perfume Palm.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

15 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

When I moved into my place in 2002, I didn't bother getting a lawnmower, since that lawn's days were numbered, in small digits . . . .

Meantime, weedwhacker worked wonderfully well!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

You are getting serious! See my PM.

Give that alfie some room, vertical and horizontal.

Well... i got the larger ones in. I’m really tired of digging large holes. From here on out, 3 gallon or less!10810BD5-92C5-4F8E-B21D-4014EC33523F.thumb.jpeg.2186adca306f2245f494dbbcc432434d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Well... i got the larger ones in. I’m really tired of digging large holes. From here on out, 3 gallon or less!

After a couple months of admiring your palms you’ll forget all about the back breaking work and be ready to buy more. It looks great.

• Like 1

15 gallon is my limit for pretty much everything now.  I've done a few 30 and 45 gallon palms by myself and that was not fun.  The worst one was a 100 gallon Encephalartos Hildebrantiii from PT member ChuckG.  It took us 30-45 minutes, a car hydraulic jack and stacks of concrete blocks to leverage it up into the van.  It crushed and splintered a 3/4" sheet of plywood sliding out of the van, and I narrowly averted a hernia dragging it back to the planting spot.  Ironically, putting it in the ground was the easy part.  All I had to do was dig the right sized hole with a big slant/ramp on the side, and give it a little shove.  If you are willing to cut apart the pot, many of the bigger palms are not that tough to get in the ground.  My biggest concern is usually tape measuring the hole to make sure it's the right size BEFORE dropping the palm in there.  If it's in the hole and the hole isn't deep enough that's a real problem...  :D If it's a little too deep it's usually easy enough to rock it to one side, toss a little dirt underneath, rock it back, etc.  Here's the E. Hildebrandtii in process for your amusement.  The fronds are about 8-9' long for a size reference!

P1050098.thumb.JPG.c482e62b33c4f9441807604dac38a007.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

15 gallon is my limit for pretty much everything now.  I've done a few 30 and 45 gallon palms by myself and that was not fun.  The worst one was a 100 gallon Encephalartos Hildebrantiii from PT member ChuckG.  It took us 30-45 minutes, a car hydraulic jack and stacks of concrete blocks to leverage it up into the van.  It crushed and splintered a 3/4" sheet of plywood sliding out of the van, and I narrowly averted a hernia dragging it back to the planting spot.  Ironically, putting it in the ground was the easy part.  All I had to do was dig the right sized hole with a big slant/ramp on the side, and give it a little shove.  If you are willing to cut apart the pot, many of the bigger palms are not that tough to get in the ground.  My biggest concern is usually tape measuring the hole to make sure it's the right size BEFORE dropping the palm in there.  If it's in the hole and the hole isn't deep enough that's a real problem...  :D If it's a little too deep it's usually easy enough to rock it to one side, toss a little dirt underneath, rock it back, etc.  Here's the E. Hildebrandtii in process for your amusement.  The fronds are about 8-9' long for a size reference!

P1050098.thumb.JPG.c482e62b33c4f9441807604dac38a007.JPG

The alfie was a 30g. And the nursery told me I needed to dig a much bigger hole than I did (probably to sell their install service). Regardless, not fun digging with such an intent as that of an undertaker. 
so no mas 30 gallon. 
that said, your hilldebrandexpyaledlshish is a beast. But anyone that’s following your “water oak forest” transformation post knows you’re a madman. But hey... no pain no (palm) gain... ammirite?

• Like 2