IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Good looking Chamaerops humilis

DAVEinMB

Nice specimen. The ones curving out from the building’s eves are quite appeasing to my taste. 
are these trimmed to be single troubled, or the rare ones that actually are? 

12 hours ago, Ryagra said:

Nice specimen. The ones curving out from the building’s eves are quite appeasing to my taste. 
are these trimmed to be single troubled, or the rare ones that actually are? 

Yea they def made for a cool looking doorway. I didn't inspect the base of the trunks closely but they appeared to be single trunk. I prefer the solo look, especially with a crown like these had

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yea they def made for a cool looking doorway. I didn't inspect the base of the trunks closely but they appeared to be single trunk. I prefer the solo look, especially with a crown like these had

I like it as well. Solo grown is magnificent when it’s full like that. 

Pretty cool!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Nice. I got this one for $110 dollars from a guy in Florida that pulled it up and was going to throw it away. I got to him just in time. It's about 8' tall.

They're underrated palms, imo. They take forever to grow, too. So that might be part of it.

IMG_E0827.JPG

• Like 5

I'm not usually a contrarian but today I guess I am. When I saw that nice-looking Med palm, I thought, "wouldn't it be even more striking in a cluster of three or so crowns." Well, I guess that's what keeps the nurseries in business!

Their slow-growing habit can also be a plus. I tend to like them with 4-6 feet of trunk and the foliage at or above eye level. I've got some waiting to do for mine to reach that height.

When I bought my Chamaerops, I chose the bluest one out of those that were available. (It wasn't very blue at all.) Since I've brought it home the new growth has been a pleasant surprise; it's quite silvery. Could the reason be that previously it was in some shade  and now it gets a full day of sun?

I do agree that they're underrated. They're tough palms and have a delicacy that is compatible with a lot of different types of gardens.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1

I like them in all forms! Chamaerops humbles was my very first palm tree and will always have a spot in my garden wherever I live. Sure they don't get height fast, but they do put out a good mess of fronds each season in our climate. Had mine defoliate all save for the first palmate baby frond after 2018 and it still pushed out inflorescence in April as well as had a full crown by mid to late summer. Sadly in early 2019 it succumbed to fungus and the poor placement I put it in due to pure neglect after some family events that I had to focus on. My current chamaerops however has the best placement on my property and aside from some rope lights has not needed protection and is looking just as good as it did in summer!

One of my favorite palms for sure!

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Piggybacking onto this thread to show this strange yellow growth on my wee Med Fan. I guess I should douse it with antibiotics!

IMG_20200331_163933.jpg

But seriously, do we know if it's a boy or a girl?

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Piggybacking onto this thread to show this strange yellow growth on my wee Med Fan. I guess I should douse it with antibiotics!

IMG_20200331_163933.jpg

Not sure to be honest but mine did that in April here in 2018 after the winter we shall not forget despite severe damage. But I'd recommend spraying it with some organic seaweed and see if the yellow goes away! Lol

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

9 hours ago, Manalto said:

IMG_20200331_163933.jpg

@Manalto That would be a male flower. 

The females look like 3 balls... 

Here are two pictures from mine today:

MALE:

CHumilisMALE01APR2020.thumb.jpg.e84b398aa540030b98e5ebdddbbcd4c0.jpg

FEMALE:

CHumilisFEMALE01APR2020.thumb.jpg.8213f749a66a3ee2e4046844e4e2baba.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1