IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It's been gloomy

Josue Diaz

I just came back from spending most of December in the tropics and suddenly the gloom of winter in Fresno feels colder and longer.  At least this jubaeopsis cheers me up every morning. i snapped the picture quickly before my fingers went numb.  (I know, I'm being dramatic.)

20200120_223611.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

At least this jubaeopsis cheers me up every morning. i snapped the picture quickly before my fingers went numb. 

So does the jubaeopsis remind you of the Cocos in Central America?  Perhaps looking at photos from Central America might warm your fingers as well as your soul... Punta Las Flores with Cocos nucifera, plumerias, lots of other beautiful plants and warm water to think of.  Just remember that Fresno's summer is coming as the days are now getting longer instead of shorter!

20170810-LI9A7219.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

So does the jubaeopsis remind you of the Cocos in Central America?  Perhaps looking at photos from Central America might warm your fingers as well as your soul... Punta Las Flores with Cocos nucifera, plumerias, lots of other beautiful plants and warm water to think of.  Just remember that Fresno's summer is coming as the days are now getting longer instead of shorter!

20170810-LI9A7219.jpg

Beautiful! yes,  lots of cocos, wild plumeria in bloom, giant ceiba, mangroves, acrocromia, cacao and black sand beaches. Thanks for the pic. Is that Costa Rica?

20191229_061250.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Just remember that Fresno's summer is coming as the days are now getting longer instead of shorter!

I keep an eye on the forecast! watching the temps slowly climb. still havent broken much past 60F as a high but we're getting there!

Yeah a lot of clouds and cool up here too. Looks like a wait until Feb for the first 70 degree day of the year. Not normal but it can happen. My warmest day in Jan is 80 degrees on Jan 14th a few years back. Not this year!

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

Thanks for the pic. Is that Costa Rica?

Eastern El Salvador, Cantón El Cuco... it is as close as I have stayed to Victoria other than flying into San Salvador and driving east.  I was really impressed with the size of the plumeria's growing wild on the cliffs but we didn't get back into the jungle as it was a surfing trip with my sons.  A bit of a climate contrast between Victoria and Fresno I imagine!

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

12 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

gloom of winter in Fresno

You should try living in PortlandB)

• Like 1

Haha I agree! It’s been cloudy and gloomy the last few days. It keeps the night temps up, but I miss the endless sunshine. 

• Like 1

We have snow here but still mild overall what a warm winter. Just booked a trip to Jamaica can’t wait to harvest seeds!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tracy said:

Eastern El Salvador, Cantón El Cuco... it is as close as I have stayed to Victoria other than flying into San Salvador and driving east.  I was really impressed with the size of the plumeria's growing wild on the cliffs but we didn't get back into the jungle as it was a surfing trip with my sons.  A bit of a climate contrast between Victoria and Fresno I imagine!

Yeah! quite a difference! lol and yeah, we have wild plumeria on our property. They grow into very large trees, and they're white flowering, but the flower is unlike the hybrids we all grow. they're smaller, or so they seem. The eastern part of the country is simply amazing - our farm is in the highlands near Honduras, higher elevation and a little cooler than the coast,  though not by much. 

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

You should try living in PortlandB)

lol touche

6 hours ago, Ryagra said:

Haha I agree! It’s been cloudy and gloomy the last few days. It keeps the night temps up, but I miss the endless sunshine. 

i wouldn't mind the cold so much if it were sunny. But the endless overcast days coupled with cold just don't do it for me. 

4 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

We have snow here but still mild overall what a warm winter. Just booked a trip to Jamaica can’t wait to harvest seeds!

Very cool! what type of seeds are you going to get? im a seed-aholic

7 hours ago,  Ryagra said:

i wouldn't mind the cold so much if it were sunny. But the endless overcast days coupled with cold just don't do it for me. 

I agree! If it’s going to be cold, at least be sunny! 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Yeah! quite a difference! lol and yeah, we have wild plumeria on our property. They grow into very large trees, and they're white flowering, but the flower is unlike the hybrids we all grow. they're smaller, or so they seem. The eastern part of the country is simply amazing - our farm is in the highlands near Honduras, higher elevation and a little cooler than the coast,  though not by much. 

lol touche

i wouldn't mind the cold so much if it were sunny. But the endless overcast days coupled with cold just don't do it for me. 

Very cool! what type of seeds are you going to get? im a seed-aholic

Well from experience there I’ve harvested dypsis lutescens. Sabals royals pytchosperma elegans etc we will see what this place has for the taking!

• Upvote 1