• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
realarch

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana

realarch

Just thought I'd post a few photos of this beautiful little palm endemic to Mexico and Central America. I was lucky enough to get an entire leaf

variation, it's an outstanding garden palm. Although it's fairly common in tropical gardens, it's still one of my favorites. The ole shovel for scale. 

Tim

P1090481.jpg

P1090483.jpg

P1090488.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

realarch

A few more.....

Tim

P1090484.jpg

P1090485.jpg

P1090489.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

waykoolplantz

Truly spectacular.

as a fan of really long Palm names this gives my fave..reinhardtia paiewonskiana a good run.

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Nothing common about this beauty to me =) 

realarch
10 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

Truly spectacular.

as a fan of really long Palm names this gives my fave..reinhardtia paiewonskiana a good run.

Hey MIke, I’ve seen that Reinhardtia before and it’s freaking beautiful. No small palm either. 

Tim

waykoolplantz
15 minutes ago, realarch said:

Hey MIke, I’ve seen that Reinhardtia before and it’s freaking beautiful. No small palm either. 

Tim

Sharing space with Double Coconut

BF01160A-97E2-4F92-AC2F-6DD708C97215.jpeg

684F8EC4-B48A-4171-BC00-BD4BA3C8D280.jpeg

• Like 1

realarch

Thanks for posting the photos Mike. When I attended the IPS biennial in Thailand way back when, they had a couple of these spectacular Reinhardtia under huge shade structures.

Tim 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Sabal gretherae is native to the NE tip of Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. It was described in 1991 and is considered the rarest Sabal in the world. It just recently entered cultivation. I germinated seeds of this palm a year ago. I don't have room for every palm on my property and need to find new homes for two of them. I have found this palm to be robust and relatively fast growing for a Sabal - the two strap leaf seedlings I have for sale are outgrowing their 1g pots. I'm not sure of this species' coldhardiness but my unprotected seedlings saw an ultimate low of 34F and other nights in the 30s with no damage so I suspect they are hardy to zone 9, perhaps lower. S. gretherae wants what all Sabals want: lots of sun and heat.
      The particulars:
      Sabal gretherae: one (1) for $25         OR     two (2) for $45.00
      Shipping Cost Included in price. Plants will be sent via Priority Mail. I will remove from pot, wrap roots in damp orchid most, clear wrap and foil.
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI.
      NOTE: Please contact me via Private Message. DO NOT use Status Update - I will not respond
      Photos: Photos 1-7 are of seedlings for sale.

• DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      Hope this turns out to be a false alarm for the U.S.
      The Caribbean is going to get whacked again. Dear god.
      http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/maria-grows-to-a-cat-3-nears-already-battered-caribbean/ar-AAs6sKy
      Season is not over yet. Hurricane Sandy closed out the season in late October of 2012.
      Stay tuned.
      Forecasters said hurricane conditions should begin to affect parts of the Leeward Islands by Monday afternoon or evening, with storm surge raising water levels by 4 to 6 feet (1.2 to 1.8 meters) near the storm's center. The storm was predicted to bring 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 centimeters) of rain across the islands, with more in isolated areas.
      Officials in Dominica closed schools and government offices on Monday and urged people to evacuate and seek shelters.
      "We should not take this storm lightly," said Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit. "Let us continue to pray for our safety."
      Officials in Guadeloupe said the French Caribbean island of would experience extremely heavy flooding starting Monday afternoon, and they warned that many communities would be submerged overnight.
    • DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      Looks like it's a bad day for the western hemisphere, over the past weeks.
      http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/strongest-quake-to-hit-mexico-in-85-years-kills-at-least-34/ar-AAru74Z?li=BBnbfcL

JUCHITAN, Mexico, Sept 8 (Reuters) - At least 34 people were killed when the most powerful earthquake to hit Mexico in over eight decades tore through buildings, forced mass evacuations and triggered alerts as far away as Southeast Asia.
      The 8.1 magnitude quake off the southern coast late on Thursday was stronger than a devastating 1985 temblor that flattened swathes of Mexico City and killed thousands.
      This time, damage to the city was limited, as the quake was deeper and further from the capital, but still shocking.
      "It almost knocked me over," said Gildardo Arenas Rios, a 64-year-old security guard in Mexico City's Juarez neighborhood, who was making his rounds when buildings began moving.
      The southern town of Juchitan in Oaxaca state, near the epicenter, was hit particularly hard, with sections of the town hall, a hotel, a bar and other buildings reduced to rubble.
      It happened in the middle of the night, freaked out everyone.
      Apparently it took place off the coast of Chiapas, near the Guatamalan border.

• kitsune2
      By kitsune2
      Please help to ID the palm. Couple years ago one of my colleges took several seeds from Mexico, the result is on the pictures above. Thank you in advance!
    • DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      So, what creature destroys your palms that you just loathe, with seething visceral hatred? Tooth-grinding desire to commit mayhem?
      Here in California it's the pocket gopher, though other rodents are loathed as well. We might have a newbie in the form of the South American Palm Weevil coming soon.
      So tell us yours and why.
      I hear that porcupines in Africa are like giant gophers with lethal quills . . . what fun fun fun! (True?)
      Share with us!