IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

self shedding palms, less work

sonoranfans

Interesting topic in "the struggle is real"  thread showing how the landscape work in growing  a palm garden increases as it matures.  One way to reduce the work load is to plant self shedding palms, palms that drop their leaves.  this means less time on a ladder risking your life as you get older.   I had some thoughts about this years ago and tried to get a lot of self shedding palms that could survive in my 9B zone.  Now my yard is a warm 9B, 20 year low is 28F in this area.  So I need self shedding that will survive 28F.  My most cold hardy self shedding palm is sabal causiarum, its good to 8b and sheds as an adult.  Bismarckia self shed and are good to about 24F(+/-).  I had some bismarckia  survive 21F for a brief period in the desert(1/4 was killed).  A third level of cold hardiness is sabal mauritiiformis, copernicia fallaense and baileyana, all good to perhaps 26F.  Next up are my crownshafts, kentiopsis Oliviformis, satakentia Liukensis, and big royals are also good to 27-28F.  Lots of tropicals self shed but how about palms that can take subtropical or mediterranean conditions and self clean?  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Great topic. In fact, the main reason I "edited" my 5 filibustas was precisely that:

I was using a ladder to trim off the old and soon to be dead fronds. It got to be a juggling act. I told mein Frau, "this is going to he an untenable situation for us in 10 years". So we replaced them with cocos Nucifera and a b. alfredii.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I agree for this reason and honestly I think crownshafted palms are prettier. Just a personal preference. I think this approach works but Rosytonea especially and to a smaller degree Archontophoenix once mature and over 25 feet will still require work to maintain. Ideally a 50lb Royal leaf can cause some chaos. As for Archontophoenix if you have a lot like I do, I have to have a plan for 5-7 years from now when my tallest are no longer 13-14 feet but 25 feet or more and dropping seed all over the yard. That said better than planting queens or Washingtonians as both are rockets and require far more work.

• Like 1

James I an where you are going to be.  I have archontophoenix alexandre, and myolensis that are 20-25' overall.  they are easy, the leaves are lightweight, no problem.  the royals are more work dragging them but the important part of no ladder is fortunate as mine are over 35'.  One of my myolensis  flowered late summer this year but has not set seed, so the work is minimum on them.  Crownshafts in general are prettier in the trunks for sure.  But there aren't any crownshaft palms I know of that have the grey white glow of of bismarckia or the blue of copernicia hospita or blue/green of copernicia fallaense.  These lighter colors tend to glow after sunrise and near sunset like no crownshaft I know of.  All my really silver/blue tinted palms are fan palms.  I know there are some pinnate palms that have blue/grey color, but they are few and far between.  

• Like 3

Tom Blank

15 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Interesting topic in "the struggle is real"  thread showing how the landscape work in growing  a palm garden increases as it matures.  One way to reduce the work load is to plant self shedding palms, palms that drop their leaves.  this means less time on a ladder risking your life as you get older.   I had some thoughts about this years ago and tried to get a lot of self shedding palms that could survive in my 9B zone.  Now my yard is a warm 9B, 20 year low is 28F in this area.  So I need self shedding that will survive 28F.  My most cold hardy self shedding palm is sabal causiarum, its good to 8b and sheds as an adult.  Bismarckia self shed and are good to about 24F(+/-).  I had some bismarckia  survive 21F for a brief period in the desert(1/4 was killed).  A third level of cold hardiness is sabal mauritiiformis, copernicia fallaense and baileyana, all good to perhaps 26F.  Next up are my crownshafts, kentiopsis Oliviformis, satakentia Liukensis, and big royals are also good to 27-28F.  Lots of tropicals self shed but how about palms that can take subtropical or mediterranean conditions and self clean?  

All Livistona specimens are self-shedding after a certain height attained.  Not sure whether L chinensis can be considered as temperate specimen, but it is so widespread outside the (sub)tropics, that we can call it at least  a naturalized temperate palm sp. Ravenea rivularis and Pritchardia spp are also self-shedding in the milder temperate regions.

Edited by Phoenikakias

My livistona are not yet living up to that, none self shed at this time(one decora has 15' trunk).  Chinensis with only 5' trunk, is the one that shows a little smooth trunk at the bottom as if it may self shed some day.   My  mariae -with 8' trunk- is holding on to every leafbase/stem.    Perhaps these must get tall first before self shedding? 

Tom Blank

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

My livistona are not yet living up to that, none self shed at this time(one decora has 15' trunk).  Chinensis with only 5' trunk, is the one that shows a little smooth trunk at the bottom as if it may self shed some day.   My  mariae -with 8' trunk- is holding on to every leafbase/stem.    Perhaps these must get tall first before self shedding? 

My L mariae, self shedding since at least three years ago.

20191214_235556.jpg

• Like 3

Oops. I thought this thread was about self cleaning palms in general. It seems to be about self cleaning fan palms. 

My bad. Sorry.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

no Alex its about lower maintenance palms that self shed.  Fans are less common self shedders and also more cold hardy, but I would never give up my crownshafted palms.    I have some areas that are entirely self shedding palms, I'd hate to be climbing ladders for trimming.

selfshedding.jpg

Tom Blank