IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You Dig Palms.... cuz I don't

The Germinator

I have a couple of these Golden Canes that need to go. This is a picture of the small one. I started a graduated dig on on the bigger one already. Both are available to any all takers.

goldencane.jpg

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 2 months later...

OK, so I did not get any takers.  I guess I will have to nickle and dime this thing till its gone. The first attempt was as expected but I am trying to save any individuals if I can. This first example does not show much hope with just on scraggly root attached. I have saved other palms with similar damage but they were Chameadoreas....... Wish me luck

luscetens_root.jpg

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Zone 10a?

maybe it would be easier to dig up the clump in bigger pieces at the time and segragate them from there on. 

Yeah I know but I just don't have that kind of energy and the fronds are always getting in the way on the back swing with the pick. As I thin it out I think I will be able to get deeper and take more root ball. The ground is so hard and just full of roots very hard to dig. I will update each week. I plan to take 1 or 2 trunks each week till its gone.  Thanks for the feedback.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Zone 10a?

1 hour ago, The Germinator said:

Yeah I know but I just don't have that kind of energy and the fronds are always getting in the way on the back swing with the pick. As I thin it out I think I will be able to get deeper and take more root ball. The ground is so hard and just full of roots very hard to dig. I will update each week. I plan to take 1 or 2 trunks each week till its gone.  Thanks for the feedback.

Are you working with hard clay? If you not allready done it water the area really well before digging. Or is it roots and Stones making IT hard to dig? 

I would totally take one but think it's a bad time since we're all stuck at home now. I didn't see this post when it was originally posted. You started it on my birthday haha. I have a feeling the one that came out with almost no roots probably won't make it.

I crossed my fingers and said a Hail Mary. I have a smaller clump that you are welcome to if want.  It looks like it will be much easier to extract. Whenever you want to come by and dig PM me.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Zone 10a?

I'm probably not going to be able to to make it any time soon because of the current situation. At the moment I'm stuck at home with the kids. I did dig and move the first palm in my garden which was a foxtail that kept getting damaged from cold so I moved it next to the house so it has a better chance. Going to be the last chance actually because if it doesn't do well then it's compost.