IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crown shafted full sun palms for inland CA

James B

Hi Darold,

Here’s my input on Dypsis Lafazamanga along with some pictures. I have this growing in full sun here in Hilo, HI.  So I would think it could take full sun in the Bay Area as well. This was planted a little over 2 years ago as a 4” plant. Very fast grower. Was a single when planted and it now split into 6. 

B34F9CC9-F0E2-4515-92EC-AC7EB36FE7E7.thumb.jpeg.25f804a4d14ea7436f37a10d96f7b5f6.jpeg

B498AD65-12AB-4221-B315-724F59B88EA4.thumb.jpeg.07a92bc2c8881db18698f01a304016db.jpeg

85902EDE-18B4-4589-945A-197AE500C363.thumb.jpeg.6a005a4eb7e71ee908139989cafe7111.jpeg

F24E6D5C-3711-43B9-8C75-40747BA53BD0.thumb.jpeg.a3b40030835a7d7880c3cb515e9805c5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I'll add a bit- in terms of what I've seen in Riverside...

Dypsis Pembana, Decipiens, Ambiositrae, and Onilahensis seem to do quite well in full sun. Baronii seems to like a little shade Interestingly, I've found that if you give them protection to get established, Howea Foresteriana and Chambeyronia Macrocarpa can handle full sun quite nicely. I learned that by accident after removing a shade structure that exposed them to full sun. I've not found the Rhopies to handle much sun.... and I can't say about Pseudophoenix Sargentii as mine only gets afternoon sun, but always seems happy although super slow. 

• Like 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

2 hours ago, doubravsky said:

I'll add a bit- in terms of what I've seen in Riverside...

Dypsis Pembana, Decipiens, Ambiositrae, and Onilahensis seem to do quite well in full sun. Baronii seems to like a little shade Interestingly, I've found that if you give them protection to get established, Howea Foresteriana and Chambeyronia Macrocarpa can handle full sun quite nicely. I learned that by accident after removing a shade structure that exposed them to full sun. I've not found the Rhopies to handle much sun.... and I can't say about Pseudophoenix Sargentii as mine only gets afternoon sun, but always seems happy although super slow. 

I'm not far from you so it's encouraging to see some of the palms you have in full sun. I have Pseudophoenix sargentii in pretty much all day sun and it does pretty well. Took years to get out of the small leaf stage and now it picks up speed in the summer heat.

20200611_132334.jpg

20200611_132341.jpg

• Like 4