IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Struggle is Real !

greysrigging

One cannot give a Livistona a hair cut without shedding blood.... cursed things ! Lol !!
82241692_513174535978721_3709992123219574784_n.jpg.ea58d08fae5df4b343d4dff90d1701d5.jpg
82115363_858922017896406_7142940383192809472_n.jpg.21d23df526718082d9e889e78e7b652a.jpg82834033_630770111004340_940709193441083392_n.jpg.ed842075fd750a405e458f541537c559.jpg
What does everyone do with their old fronds ? fortunately my local Council do not charge dump fees at the Tip, so I do at least one trip a week with garden waste ( 2 trips this week actually )
82151932_1051298461893939_6875588294038519808_n.jpg.429be8223f967ddf2234b3d4ba26f991.jpg

• Like 6

yeah I have removed all (3) of my  phoenix sylvestris for this reason, I don't want to get stabbed on every trim and they grow too fast.   I removed 30 dead leaves one year and decided no more.  I have a phoenix rupicola triple that, after 9 years, has about 1 to 1 1/2' trunk and it has soft thorns so I go with that phoenix in my yard.  I also have removed one large L. Decora and have two more palms(one decora and one mariae) that I am considering.  My L. Saribus and chinensis are much slower, 3-4' trunk in 9 years, so I can use a pole saw from the ground for another 10-15 years at least.  I have come to appreciate self shedding palms.   The lighter palm leaves can be composted in a bin if you chop them up(better to do without thorns).  I also have a yard service to carry away the heavy leaves like Bismarckia, Copernicia Fallense, Sabal Causiarum and Borassus Aethiopum.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Yes, self shedding palms are my favorite. I started my palm garden with low maintenance in mind. But then I branched out. And who can pass up Bismarkia Nobilis. A tree service is definitely in my future.

Fire is the answer

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here we have weekly bulk pickup, they don't even blink at a pile like this Avacado created.  Big dumpster truck with bucket crane just takes away anything but demolition debris, tires, & glass. I've cut all the big trees down the past several years and now don't let anything get over about 15'-20' so it's not too much work. The older I get the shorter they'll get LOL.

003_zps9tzukqjg.jpg

• Like 1

It is simply fascinating:

YOU are the one moving and the PALM is static - but it is YOU who gets hurt when trimming those palms. 

Happens to me every time...

Palms are smart! ;) 

best regards -

Lars

• Like 1

der Kampf!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Whenever I’m working on any of my Phoenix or Livistona I wear leather rose gardener’s gloves. They go almost all the way to my elbows. Nothing penetrates them! 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

31 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Whenever I’m working on any of my Phoenix or Livistona I wear leather rose gardener’s gloves. They go almost all the way to my elbows. Nothing penetrates them! 

The Corphya Utans is waaay worse..... almost sentient....lol.
The fronds are bigger in diameter than my trailer !
SbMua2Fh.jpg.5b5c4cd93cc4869e8580ad3009bdf4de.jpg.cfbe2e34ec86566ae502544256788faf.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

Here we have weekly bulk pickup, they don't even blink at a pile like this Avacado created.  Big dumpster truck with bucket crane just takes away anything but demolition debris, tires, & glass. I've cut all the big trees down the past several years and now don't let anything get over about 15'-20' so it's not too much work. The older I get the shorter they'll get LOL.

003_zps9tzukqjg.jpg

Wow ! what a great service ! Our local council is toying with the idea of introducing 'green waste' wheelie bins ( about the size of a 44g drum ) . Most Darwin residents scoff at the idea.... tropical gardens, particularly palm gardens, produce way more green waste than a puny capacity 44.....
I need at least a 6 yard bin fortnightly.... lol !

On 1/16/2020 at 7:03 AM, sonoranfans said:

I also have a yard service to carry away the heavy leaves like Bismarckia, Copernicia Fallense, Sabal Causiarum and Borassus Aethiopum.

What an awesome palm line up haha :yay:

6 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Can we see a full pic of your beauty !!! 

T J 

7 hours ago, greysrigging said:

SbMua2Fh.jpg.5b5c4cd93cc4869e8580ad3009bdf4de.jpg.cfbe2e34ec86566ae502544256788faf.jpg

I certainly agree with that.  Corypha are the second biggest leaf(to tahina) in all palmdom!  I saw a(big) yard with a grove of 5 corypha utan 30'+ overall in the miami area and was asking myself how many leaves a year came down and what would they weigh?  I actually decided against corypha and tahina partly because of the size of the leaves.  Those palms ARE too big for my yard, they would take up the same space(one of each) as my big 5 on one side( borassus, alfredii, causiarum , fallaense and bismarckia).  I have 0.3 acre, LOL!  I thought I wanted more land until these suckers grew big.  They are all on 2x a week auto(grey water) irrigation plus rain.  The number of dead palm leaves per year in my yard must be nearing 500.   I'm not sure I could care for a larger lot, everything grows too fast.  Looking at that leaf, I dont envy you, HAHA!  One final comment:  In my experience the leaves are MUCH lighter when the green is gone.  My big(35'+) royals leaves can be ~ 50lbs or 15 lbs depending on whether they are green when dropped.  Most plant tissue is 60-80% water when green.  

• Like 1

Tom Blank

8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What an awesome palm line up haha :yay:

Can we see a full pic of your beauty !!! 

68294427_2872607142756036_2109697139910115328_n.jpg.8de80d071aae3f6db567b0a464f8c018.jpg69124368_2872607086089375_6964483594395844608_n.jpg.25d895c0c746943f269f4f593141942c.jpg
Mine grows in competition with the rest of the jungle, the other one is around the corner from me....

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@greysrigging thanks for the pics very impressive specimens. How would you rate the growth rates of them ? 

My own one  ? Slowish ( 30 years old in that pic ), but not planted in an ideal location with lots of competition from other plants. Climatically the same as in the wild ( native to the Top End of the Northern Territory, the difference being mine gets watered during the dry season. 
The other pic ?, probably the same age, maybe 5 years older ( when the sub division was built in the early/mid '80's.

5 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So very similar to Bismarkia, but larger =) 

Looking at the Bizzies around town, grows taller and larger and quicker. Bissies a common landscaping species, Corphya pretty well unheard of outside of enthusiasts collections.... despite being a native to the region.

On January 16, 2020 at 10:38 PM, greysrigging said:

Your arms are only so long. Doesn't matter how long the fronds are, just your arms. Cover them and your good. 

• Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Your arms are only so long. Doesn't matter how long the fronds are, just your arms. Cover them and your good. 

I meant "you're."

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

No palm fronds nor any other organic matter (apart from people and animals) leave my place. That's an advantage of having a larger block. Of course, on the other hand, you have a hell of a lot more fronds and timber debris to deal with. It all come in handy though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So very similar to Bismarkia, but larger =) 

The corypha is near half again larger than bismarckia.  Bismarckia top out at 9-10' leaf(across) corypha is closer to tahina spectabilis which is about 15' across.   So a corypha can be 30-35' wide crown while bizzies top out near 23- 25' wide.  The corypha unlike the tahina wont die and fall over when it flowers the first time.  Neither of them has really established cold tolerance data that suggests a huge palm won't croak from a 30 year cold in my yard(can see possibly 26F the longterm low).  The information I do find says bismarckia is more cold tolerant than corypha by a few degrees.   Tahina is just unknown cold tolerance since its barely in cultivation(rare).  Since they die after they flower and set seed, the seeds are tougher to come by.

Tom Blank

On 1/16/2020 at 10:05 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Welders gloves are great - cheap and stop my Phoenix stabbing me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 1/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, The Gerg said:

Yes, self shedding palms are my favorite. I started my palm garden with low maintenance in mind. But then I branched out. And who can pass up Bismarkia Nobilis. A tree service is definitely in my future.

Don't worry bismarckia self shed well when they get older.  Mine has 9' clear trunk and leafbases come off with leaves when they drop.  Generally my biz does not retain dead leaves, they shed before they are half brown.  When it was young I had to cut off dead leaves, but they change and release nicely with age.

• Upvote 1

Tom Blank

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Neither of them has really established cold tolerance data that suggests a huge palm won't croak from a 30 year cold in my yard(can see possibly 26F the longterm low).

So around the Houston area Jan 2018 many Bizzie's saw 20F with freezing rain. I believe all of them have recovered from 75% defoliation or more. How low do you a Corypha can go ? 

T J 

I have never sees a corypha in 9B, not sure.  I think walt has one under canopy in lake placid but it has hardly grown in 10 years.  Here is a thread:  

Tom Blank

@sonoranfans Well I may just have to try some one day . I love Bizzies for how stately they are and have fallen in Love with S.causirium. Corypha would be a dream palm to grow. Where does one get one in ? 

T J 

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I have never sees a corypha in 9B, not sure.  I think walt has one under canopy in lake placid but it has hardly grown in 10 years.

I have a Corypha of unknown type from PT member Carver.  I put it in the ground in November even though it's still only a split-leaf type.  I was just hoping for a warm winter, which it appears we might get!  My research on Corypha showed minor to major damage for 1 night @ 26F, and the one at Leu Gardens (warm 9B) defoliated in the 2 night extended freeze of 2009-2010 but recovered.  Lecomtei is supposedly slightly tougher than Utan, and might be the best bet for a marginal area.  I plan to protect mine if possible, at least until it's really settled in.

BTW - the crown on a Corypha can get waaaaaay bigger than 30-35'.  I've seen photos of Umbraculifera at around 50' or more.  I'm hoping mine is more like a 30-35' max... :D 

• Like 1

I am not surprised that corypha can get wider than 35'.  the ones I saw in miami were in limestone rock and had somewhat thin trunks with crowns at about 30-35 with ~20-25 foot of trunk.  I could push on the trunk and the crown would move a bit, I interpret that as weak roots.  I suspect root system was were not large as it could be in that rocky soil.   Large root systems support bigger crowns.

• Like 1

Tom Blank