IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

1 Gallon Trachycarpus Fortunei in North AL Winter

csentell1924

Hello everyone! I just ordered 3 1 gallon Tachycarpus Fortunei from someone in SC, and was wondering about tips on if and how I could keep them alive in the ground in North Alabama (Zone 7b) with planting them this late in winter? The big problem is that we are about to enter a cold spell, with nightly lows dipping into the low-mid 20s. I have not received them yet, but I was also thinking about if the transplanting and cold temps might make them toast out here planting them now. I already know to cover them up and I am going to use some Christmas lights as well. I am new to growing palms so any tips help! THANKS!!!! :D

Edited by csentell1924
  • Like 1

Honestly I would wait to plant until the spring temps start to warm things up. They're already going to be a difficult grow there so planting them into the cold ground might cause them to rot before they ever grow any roots. I would keep them warm for the next few months then plant them it the spring. Also plant for winter protection next year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Honestly I would wait to plant until the spring temps start to warm things up. They're already going to be a difficult grow there so planting them into the cold ground might cause them to rot before they ever grow any roots. I would keep them warm for the next few months then plant them it the spring. Also plant for winter protection next year. 

I forgot to mention that I also got a Sabal Minor because it was a good deal. I figured it would be best to wait on the windmill palms. Would it also be best to wait on the Sabal Minors? Or could those go in the ground now?

@csentell1924 First, welcome to the forums!  Personally, I'd wait until spring as @Chris Chance suggested above for any plantings.  Did you get Sabal minor 'Cherokee'?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Wait until spring.  Putting them in the ground now will most likely cause a big disappointment. 

I say plant em.. but put a sealed top wall o water tomato protector around each one

Edited by SailorBold

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

9 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@csentell1924 First, welcome to the forums!  Personally, I'd wait until spring as @Chris Chance suggested above for any plantings.  Did you get Sabal minor 'Cherokee'?

I'm not sure the variety, all the listing said was Sabal Minor. 

With the colder temps the palms are not growing much if at all right now. There would be little if any benefit in planting them now and might actually be detrimental. I would keep them warm and safe for now. Wait until those very low temps are no longer likely and the palms are getting back to actively growing. Covering them and burning Christmas lights only holds off some of the cold but won't provide the heat that all palms need to grow well.

Wait until spring.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@csentell1924Hey Im in South/Central Alabama myself. 

I agree with the consensus here. Keep them in the house or garage (if warm enough) until the cold spell passes. 

Ive got Chamaerops in the yard here, along with a Sabal Blackburniana, and mule palm (sabal and mule to be planted mid March). 

Plant them in April and you will probably still need to cover them for 2 years in 7b from approx Late Dec-early March since they are so small.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F