IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Contact IPS Bookstore?

Valhallalla

Is there any way to contact a live person at the IPS bookstore? There are several books I would like to purchase but the shipping is ridiculous. I have selected six books with a total price of $139.45. After I enter my location info (Florida) it calculates the shipping to be $88.00. $88.00!?! Holy smokes, that is almost $15 per book! The only shipping option is USPS Priority Mail. Assuming each book weighs two pounds (seriously, they don't weigh close to that much) I could still ship the entire bunch for less than $10 total by using USPS Media Mail. USPS knows that books (and other media) are heavy and they have Media Mail Rate just for that reason.

It is totally unnecessary to ship these via Priority Mail. They are not needed in a hurry and insurance (if needed) could be purchased separately for a buck or two. Even if Priority was desired this shipping rate is still very high. There is just no way that a typical book should cost $15 to ship within the USA even using Priority Mail.

I have searched around the IPS website looking for contact info. The only thing I have found is phone and email info for somebody regarding membership issues. They are with the outside company that handles those tasks for IPS. I really don't think they will have anything to do with the bookstore though I could be wrong. I might have been able to ask them but they never bothered to return my call when I had (and still have) some questions about my membership.

So, is there any way to contact somebody at the IPS bookstore? There must be some human who runs things there and who decided to mail books using Priority mail. It's really not even the total price that is a problem for me. Several of the books are a discounted price. But I would much rather pay full price for the books, which would benefit IPS, and not turn over as much money to USPS for a shipping method that is just not needed.

• Like 2

If nobody answers you in a day or two,  remind me about this and I'll try and track down the correct information for you.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 5 months later...

I purchased the Chamaedorea book from the bookstore and have gotten the email saying the transaction has been made. This is over 10 days ago with nothing with a tracking # or email saying its on its way. I know this isn't Amazon just wondering if this is typical. Its no hurry just making sure my order hasn't been lost or something like that. 

Screenshot_20200623-074344_Email.jpg

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I purchased the Chamaedorea book from the bookstore and have gotten the email saying the transaction has been made. This is over 10 days ago with nothing with a tracking # or email saying its on its way. I know this isn't Amazon just wondering if this is typical. Its no hurry just making sure my order hasn't been lost or something like that. 

Screenshot_20200623-074344_Email.jpg

Can you please reach out to the person who handles this for the IPS. Her name is Ari. She is good at getting back to people. 

ahartung@stansfeldllc.com

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

ty @LJG I wasn't sure where to turn too =) 

just emailed her 

Edited by OC2Texaspalmlvr

T J 

7 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

ty @LJG I wasn't sure where to turn too =) 

just emailed her 

Yeah, it’s something that is always evolving. It’s a third party the IPS uses to manage the store and books and they gave us a new manager. Coincidently enough, her name is Ari also like the last one. What are the odds? You can PM me your info like email and I’ll reach out as well. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

@LJG You weren't kidding about her responding quickly. Maybe within an hour she got back to me. The transaction has already been remedied. Thanks again for the help !!! 

T J