IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Pics St. Pete Garden

Palmaceae

Just wanted to share the progress of my new garden here in St. Pete. Most of the palms were moved from my garden in Cape Coral last summer and now are starting to take off after this nice warm winter.

20200106_124749.jpg

20200106_124758.jpg

• Like 5

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Awesome garden, looks like you’re set to rival Kopsick. B)

On another note, I see you planted a lot of young palms in full sun. You think they’ll be okay in the summer? 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

35 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Awesome garden, looks like you’re set to rival Kopsick. B)

On another note, I see you planted a lot of young palms in full sun. You think they’ll be okay in the summer? 

Thanks!

Some of the palms that are in the sun now (under the big oak and podocarpus) are actually in the shade in the summer time. I planted 95% of the palms last July so they are hardened off in the sun.

3 hours ago, Patricia-CR said:

AMAZING!!! Candy for my eyes!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

You'll have a forest surrounding your home before too long!

Thanks, that's the plan!

A great garden in a great place for a garden!  Nice work!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It's surprising how fast the babies grow up.

We aren't having winter right now.  Saturday, the St. Bonaventure University (upstate NY) swim team spent the afternoon at our local beach, dressed for a swim meet and interacting very well with the 4-5 foot surf.  By Sunday afternoon, even local surfers at Sebastian Inlet were giving up their rubber.  

Some caladiums are still up and growing.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Looks very nice @Palmaceae. I really like when a garden is young. Particularly when it is packed full like yours. You really get a chance to view and enjoy all  the palms. 

54 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

A great garden in a great place for a garden!  Nice work!

Thanks Kinzy!

31 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

It's surprising how fast the babies grow up.

We aren't having winter right now.  Saturday, the St. Bonaventure University (upstate NY) swim team spent the afternoon at our local beach, dressed for a swim meet and interacting very well with the 4-5 foot surf.  By Sunday afternoon, even local surfers at Sebastian Inlet were giving up their rubber.  

Some caladiums are still up and growing.

I hope winter stays away this year, it has been good so far.

2 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

Looks very nice @Palmaceae. I really like when a garden is young. Particularly when it is packed full like yours. You really get a chance to view and enjoy all  the palms. 

Thanks, I am certainly enjoying it.

Pastor Randy,

it is really nice to see how your new garden is shaping up!

All of your palms and plants are looking healthy, it seems that they all adapted very well to their new home - very well done!

All the best to you and your garden, please keep us posted,

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Pastor Randy,

it is really nice to see how your new garden is shaping up!

All of your palms and plants are looking healthy, it seems that they all adapted very well to their new home - very well done!

All the best to you and your garden, please keep us posted,

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Thank you Lars!

11 minutes ago, wimmie said:

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Welcome to the TampaBay area

Youve brought quite the "starter kit"!     How far away from the water are ya?

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Clearly you are going to be that "palm nut" of the neighborhood.  Lots of great palms there. I'd kill off that Norfolk island pine before it get's gigantic.   

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

10 hours ago, Palmə häl′ik said:

Welcome to the TampaBay area

Youve brought quite the "starter kit"!     How far away from the water are ya?

Thanks. I am 1.9 miles west of Tampa Bay

10 hours ago, redant said:

Clearly you are going to be that "palm nut" of the neighborhood.  Lots of great palms there. I'd kill off that Norfolk island pine before it get's gigantic.   

Thanks. My wife loves the Norfolk so has to stay, at least for now. ;)

I love the yard and the density of palms.  But as some of those are huge palms, its going to get quite crowded.  Seems like this happens to lots of people, me included.  I thought my yard was fine till things grew in.  But its easier to remove a 20' palm than plant one, so I think overplanting is a good thing.  Some palms will die too, so overplanting is a good strategy.  For example beccariophoenix alfredii and bismarckia get about 25' wide.  So I planted smaller, slower growing palms near them so their crowns with higher and lower heights merge well instead of competing for the same air space.  I made some mistakes and am still figuring out what to do its a work in progress.  Yeah and that norfolk island pine is going to be a problem, somethings gotta give in the future.  I planted one too and my wife knows it will last until it gets too big.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

21 hours ago, redant said:

Looks good!!.

And I second this notion about the pine. I just had a massive 3-prong Norfolk (that was hanging perilously over my pool cage) taken down. They break easily with our storm winds. That was $500 I could have used for a lot of landscape material! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I love the yard and the density of palms.  But as some of those are huge palms, its going to get quite crowded.  Seems like this happens to lots of people, me included.  I thought my yard was fine till things grew in.  But its easier to remove a 20' palm than plant one, so I think overplanting is a good thing.  Some palms will die too, so overplanting is a good strategy.  For example beccariophoenix alfredii and bismarckia get about 25' wide.  So I planted smaller, slower growing palms near them so their crowns with higher and lower heights merge well instead of competing for the same air space.  I made some mistakes and am still figuring out what to do its a work in progress.  Yeah and that norfolk island pine is going to be a problem, somethings gotta give in the future.  I planted one too and my wife knows it will last until it gets too big.

Thank you. I like to overplant just for that same reason as some may not make it and I tried to put palms in spots where some will grow slower than others. I have been growing palms since 1980 so I am very experienced in planting palms in the right spot, of course that may not always be right but that is OK. And I love growing palms and do not have the luxury of a huge yard,  and I am not getting any younger so I want to enjoy them while I can. 

2 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Looks good!!.

And I second this notion about the pine. I just had a massive 3-prong Norfolk (that was hanging perilously over my pool cage) taken down. They break easily with our storm winds. That was $500 I could have used for a lot of landscape material! 

Thanks. I also agree, just have to get my wife to agree also.