Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Repotted Phoenix dactylifera Seedling

PalmTreeDude

This Phoenix dactylifera seedling needed to be repotted about a year ago from the little cup I first put it in. Finally got around to it and just wanted to show you it. Grown from seed out of a store bought date and it stretched, I need to give it more sun. My potting mix didn't drain at all so I had to mix topsoil with sand. 

15788661543208761539097864230910.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

Pal Meir

Looking good :greenthumb:

Here for comparison a similar seedling 1¾yr old:

2137179034_Phoenixdactylifera83N01-0114.thumb.jpg.db387da52d72cfe97b6b81495c224dc9.jpg

• Like 1

PlantDad

How was is it to grow date palms from store bought dates?

PalmTreeDude
On 1/22/2020 at 5:02 AM, PlantDad said:

How was is it to grow date palms from store bought dates?

It's not hard, just make sure you get all of the fruit off or the seeds will get moldy fast. 

PlantDad
17 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It's not hard, just make sure you get all of the fruit off or the seeds will get moldy fast. 

How long does germination take?

kinzyjr

Usually 2-4 weeks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Topiary
      By Topiary
      Hi,
      First time posting, been reading the forum for almost a year and loving the community. 

Found this palm on the side of the road - it was used to stage a house and discarded- it’s now inside, humidifier running as I have other tropical plants, and is raised up out of cat reach next to a North facing window due to space
      Apartment has 12’ high ceilings, I’ve also got large windows facing West and potentially a South facing window (if I move my tropics and succulents). 

The fronds are browning quite severely and I’m slowly increasing my watering as I don’t want to shock it. It has a new frond coming up and it’s still growing well despite the ice cold temps the night I rescued it (-1 degrees C). 

I don’t want to repot it - and have read up on the dangers, but is there a way to dump out the soil and replace is with a well draining tropical mix with orchid bark without disturbing the roots? 

The soil isn’t holding any moisture, and drains slower than I’d like. It’s probably dirt cheap from a garden centre. 

Please let me know what you guys see in this one, I know it’s essentially doomed because of the climate here but if I can get it to next summer I can use a friend’s greenhouse all summer. 

Pictures are a couple weeks old, I drilled new holes into the pot for drainage, added a large mixing bowl inside the decorative pot to elevate the inner pot out of any water. 

• chocolatethunda
      By chocolatethunda
      Hi, hope everybody had a great weekend. Can anyone help me ID this palm, if I'm not mistaken it's a date palm but I don't know which one specifically. As you can see it sprouted a lot of seedlings of which I have luckily potted a few.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all!! 
      I was at a local nursery last weekend and noticed a few of there canary island date palms had suckers growing from base/trunk. 
      From what i understand phoenix canariensis don't sucker. Any thoughts? 

• Susie's Garden
      By Susie's Garden
      Only 2 date palms seem to be in decline, the only thing that is different about them is that they are under power lines.  Is it possible for them to be damaged by a power surge?  Any suggestions for treatment would be greatly appreciated.

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I have some seeds from a Texas Sabal for free or if you want to trade for other cold hardy seeds for 8b.
      I also have some pure filifera and dactylifera seeds.