Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Repotted Phoenix dactylifera Seedling

PalmTreeDude

This Phoenix dactylifera seedling needed to be repotted about a year ago from the little cup I first put it in. Finally got around to it and just wanted to show you it. Grown from seed out of a store bought date and it stretched, I need to give it more sun. My potting mix didn't drain at all so I had to mix topsoil with sand. 

15788661543208761539097864230910.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

Pal Meir

Looking good :greenthumb:

Here for comparison a similar seedling 1¾yr old:

2137179034_Phoenixdactylifera83N01-0114.thumb.jpg.db387da52d72cfe97b6b81495c224dc9.jpg

• Like 1

PlantDad

How was is it to grow date palms from store bought dates?

PalmTreeDude
On 1/22/2020 at 5:02 AM, PlantDad said:

How was is it to grow date palms from store bought dates?

It's not hard, just make sure you get all of the fruit off or the seeds will get moldy fast. 

PlantDad
17 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

It's not hard, just make sure you get all of the fruit off or the seeds will get moldy fast. 

How long does germination take?

kinzyjr

Usually 2-4 weeks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I have some seeds from a Texas Sabal for free or if you want to trade for other cold hardy seeds for 8b.
      I also have some pure filifera and dactylifera seeds.

• CodyORB
      By CodyORB
      I had a CIDP seed and 3 P. Dactyliferas  germinate roughly a week ago after spending 3-4 weeks in a moist perlite plate outside in north FL. I moved them into holepunched cups filled with a well-draining cactus soil kept moist to finish germination (+minute amounts of fungicide). When can I expect to see something pop up?

• Marc
      By Marc
      Can one effectively prune phoenix roots and what is the best strategy for doing that?  I have a number of phoenix in large pots (e.g., 25G plus) and unlike most other families, phoenix will grow roots so aggressively that they will lift the entire palm, root base, soil and all right out of the pot such that it's no longer aesthetic.  I'm attaching two photos below that show this.  I think it was in a David Lesser book that I saw a photo at Versailles with many dozens of date palms in pots, i.e., I'd like to keep these in pots of the same size but this would require aggressive root pruning strategies.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  The species I've got in mind are Dactilyfera and Reclinata.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      hello everyone! Just had a question. I have had this canary island date palm in the ground for about a year and a half. It seems to be growing pretty slow as the trunk hasn't expanded a whole lot and the leaves don't seem to be getting longer. I do fertilize it and water it a few times a week. Any idea orare they this slow when they are small?
      Also I notice that at some nurseries I go to the fronds are way longer than what mine are (45 inches), with about the same size trunk. Does this mean my canary island date palm won't have those awesome super long green fronds and they will be shorter? 

• RaychHasDatePalms
      By RaychHasDatePalms
      So I know, I know.... palms and Michigan, and we have had this discussion many times before. 

HOWEVER. 

I have had bad luck with keeping palms alive, obviously, but I feel I have chosen the wrong ones. Plenty of us have had this discussion and I know plenty of you are able to do it. (Yes, KinzyJr, I am referring to you —and others) 

So. What do you think? I am looking at a pygmy date palm, a Christmas palm, or a cycid that has a similar silhouette to the other two mentioned. It would be in a pot in my office, which has a window but I’d say partial sun as opposed to full sun. (I do also have a grow lamp in there that my hardy fig has loved but that wasn’t good enough for my coconut baby, RIP.) It’s hot and very humid in the summer—70s-90s—but the winter is extremely dry and we tend to keep the furnace at 69-71. 

Not A TA also mentioned sending something, too, since I had bad luck with my seeds (idk what it is with seeds and me), which is AMAZING and so kind, so there will be more conversation regarding indoor palm health at that time, I am sure. 

Also, once I’m done watching YouTube church, I’ll post the links of the trees in the shop I am looking at. I am willing to bet that someone here is familiar with the shop.

Thank you so much!!!!!