IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bactris major in habitat

Josue Diaz

Just sharing some habitat photos of Bactris major in El Salvador. This is near a town called Jayaque. Really tasty fruit btw. 

20191228_155008.jpg

20191228_155016.jpg

20191228_155625.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 4

This is one of my favorite local palms here in Guatemala. The ripe seeds are sometimes seen in the local markets. They have a sweet pulp and are eaten by the locals . 
Sadly with the expansion of sugar cane crops , this palm is rarely found in the wild.

When I arrived thirty years ago it was very common to see masses of these growing in gullies and near seasonal streams. Here it is called Coyol.

• Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

8 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Just sharing some habitat photos of Bactris major in El Salvador. This is near a town called Jayaque. Really tasty fruit btw. 

20191228_155008.jpg

20191228_155016.jpg

20191228_155625.jpg

Hello Josue,

Are you attempting to grow this palm in Fresno?

Clay

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

5 hours ago, Really full garden said:

This is one of my favorite local palms here in Guatemala. The ripe seeds are sometimes seen in the local markets. They have a sweet pulp and are eaten by the locals . 
Sadly with the expansion of sugar cane crops , this palm is rarely found in the wild.

When I arrived thirty years ago it was very common to see masses of these growing in gullies and near seasonal streams. Here it is called Coyol.

I always thought this species was associated with a mangrove ecosystem. These were on coastal mountains,  somewhat dry terrain actually. Some deciduous trees like plumeria and others share a habitat where i found these. Here they're also called coyol (which is a name also given to acrocomia and attalea)

4 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Hello Josue,

Are you attempting to grow this palm in Fresno?

Clay

I did bring a few seeds back with me. not sure how successful they'd be here to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I always thought this species was associated with a mangrove ecosystem. These were on coastal mountains,  somewhat dry terrain actually. Some deciduous trees like plumeria and others share a habitat where i found these. Here they're also called coyol (which is a name also given to acrocomia and attalea)

I did bring a few seeds back with me. not sure how successful they'd be here to be honest. 

In El Salvador the mountains go right into the ocean. In Guatemala there is a coastal plain about 20-50 kms wide and this is where I see Bactis major. They do grow in gullies before the foothills .

I can see El Salvador from my beach house!

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

5 hours ago, Really full garden said:

I can see El Salvador from my beach house!

next time i go, i will try to get in touch with you! I'd love to come see your garden. The country is so small, i drove from the Guatemalan border to our farm near thew Honduran border in about 2.5 hours. I started a palm garden there this year.  I planted kerriodoxa, dypsis leptocheilos, dypsis 'Orange Crush' from Floribunda, Beccariophoenix alfredii, Coccothrinax miraguama, Livistona saribus, Roystonea oleracea and Sabal causaria. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

next time i go, i will try to get in touch with you! I'd love to come see your garden. The country is so small, i drove from the Guatemalan border to our farm near thew Honduran border in about 2.5 hours. I started a palm garden there this year.  I planted kerriodoxa, dypsis leptocheilos, dypsis 'Orange Crush' from Floribunda, Beccariophoenix alfredii, Coccothrinax miraguama, Livistona saribus, Roystonea oleracea and Sabal causaria. 

My highland garden is about 18kms south of Antigua and the beach garden is about an 11/2 hour drive from the border.

• Like 1