IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free coconut 7 feet tall

DoomsDave

I just got this a few minutes ago from a guy who grew it in his apartment for about 20 years.

He’s moving out of state and it needs to go in the ground so I’m giving it to someone who can plant it in the ground preferably in Palm Springs or similar area.

Send me a PM if interested.

Too big to ship local pickup.

Palmy love to you all!

D5A009BF-4FAC-440B-9771-60F4AFDA37A3.thumb.jpeg.d85eb5428dd2263819c73da94cea2a8c.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow that's really nice! I wish I didn't get quite so cold or I would try it. Probably would like the summer heat here but too cold in winter.

• Upvote 1

Saw it in person.  It’s in great condition.   Wish someone who has a large greenhouse or arboretum to keep it.   Being pampered for 20 years indoors will be quite a shock to it.

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Princess coconut has been rehomed!

Thank you all for your interest and will keep apprised of progress!

• Like 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This has turned out to be a really serious teaching moment 

Yow

Obscenities have been screamed

this may prove or disprove if starting with a large coco makes  a difference in survival or not. 

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

On 1/12/2020 at 1:34 PM, DoomsDave said:

Princess coconut has been rehomed!

Thank you all for your interest and will keep apprised of progress!

Hopefully we are updated on the palm is doing.

Wow! By the way, the coconut in the conservatory in Sherman Gardens is absolutely huge. I don't think it was planted that long ago, but it may not be long for this world. It just goes to show how fast these can be with proper conditions. 

At my previous home I grew a coconut in my interior atrium which featured a cut-out in the foundation to the ground below, so the palm had freedom to root anywhere. I had to give it away after the fronds started pushing against the 14-foot skylight.  It was so large the recipient had to bring a trailer to haul it away. :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, QUINNPALMS said:

B726573E-8D85-47C5-BD29-F42DA8A2E596.jpeg

7C67CD92-D3F1-49DD-8D1D-6EE835279137.jpeg

280D874B-28FD-4CD2-9CA8-A121ABF167CE.jpeg

Heres a few photos of the cocos nucifera's new home , at a higher elevation nice microclimate in Fallbrook , Ca ! I repotted it in a large concrete planter and built an enclosure around the pot with a 2100btu electric fan heater on a thermostat to get it through the cold months.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Glad to see you got that Nick!  What happens when it’s too tall for the greenhouse?!   Maybe it could survive somewhere in your front driveway with all that concrete radiating heat for it?

14 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Glad to see you got that Nick!  What happens when it’s too tall for the greenhouse?!   Maybe it could survive somewhere in your front driveway with all that concrete radiating heat for it?

Hey Jason 

if it survives I may have to look into doing a second story on the greenhouse! I did think of maybe planting it somewhere warm but i think i will get it as large as possible first! Or plant it in the ground in the greenhouse ...

Edited by QUINNPALMS
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looks like it found its way into a great home. Glad you got it. I was afraid we would never see any updates.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

@QUINNPALMS you go, maybe share in the main forum?

We will duly worship!

• 2 months later...

Our donor moved to sub alpine Colorado where he glories in the native Blue Spruce.

So @QUINNPALMS let us know how the royal and the coconut are doing for you!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so beautiful! i had a coconut palm, kept it alive for 2 years. it was too cold that winter, reaching 40 degrees in my home one weekend because my heater broke!

Maybe ill try again! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Amazing how many people keep cold sensitive palms alive in cold climates...good job