IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Island

Urban Rainforest

post-351-1183956153_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

post-351-1183956271_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

A couple more palms. Dypsis pink crown

post-351-1183956379_thumb.jpg

Clinostigma

post-351-1183956548_thumb.jpg

(Steve from San Diego @ Jul. 08 2007,19:29)

Dean, We saw those same tikis when were there 2 years ago. In fact I believe that is where my avatar came from. Are those replicas or truly ancient tikis. Interestingly ancient tikis we saw in Tahiti and Moorea looked quite differant and many had very large eyes. Nice pics. Steve

Steve,

Yes, that is Pu'uhonua o Honaunau and where your avatar is from. My favorite place on the island. The tikis are replicas, but hand carved in the old style with attention paid to detail.

Each culture in the So Pacific had it's own distinct style of tikis. From New Zealand to Hawaii, and including those found on Easter Island.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

And one more close up of Mad fox. Thanks again Dean. Your place rocks!

post-351-1183956855_thumb.jpg

(Dypsisdean @ Jul. 09 2007,00:53)

(Steve from San Diego @ Jul. 08 2007,19:29)

Dean, We saw those same tikis when were there 2 years ago. In fact I believe that is where my avatar came from. Are those replicas or truly ancient tikis. Interestingly ancient tikis we saw in Tahiti and Moorea looked quite differant and many had very large eyes. Nice pics. Steve

Steve,

Yes, that is Pu'uhonua o Honaunau and where your avatar is from. My favorite place on the island. The tikis are replicas, but hand carved in the old style with attention paid to detail.

Each culture in the So Pacific had it's own distinct style of tikis. From New Zealand to Hawaii, and including those found on Easter Island.

Thanks for the info Dean. Tikis are something I definately want to get into. We enjoyed that place as well. It definately had some ancient energy. Heres a couple pics from there two years ago. Steve

post-351-1183958303_thumb.jpg

More

post-351-1183958728_thumb.jpg

Here is Ty next to one of the ancient lava walls there. These stones are massive.

post-351-1183958883_thumb.jpg

A local carving a tiki or canoe da old school way.

post-351-1183959263_thumb.jpg

I still say this tiki belongs in Roswell NM  :D .

post-351-1183959452_thumb.jpg

(Steve from San Diego @ Jul. 08 2007,22:25)

More   put tiki pic here

Hey Steve those pics are starting to look like my "choosing a tiki thread a while back.

You found one of the salesgirls irrestible too, huh?  :P

BS

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve,

Wow, lots of great pictures! Glad you got your computer up and running!!

Hope to see you soon again. Seems to me there's a lot of Tibouchina in the neighbor's backyard that need to disappear... :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 09 2007,02:17)

More   put tiki pic here

Hey Steve those pics are starting to look like my "choosing a tiki thread a while back.

BS

Yeah, I think we'll keep her  :D .

(bgl @ Jul. 09 2007,02:39)

Steve,

Wow, lots of great pictures! Glad you got your computer up and running!!

Hope to see you soon again. Seems to me there's a lot of Tibouchina in the neighbor's backyard that need to disappear... :D

Bo-Göran

Were looking forward to getting back soon too! Save me some of those Clinostigmas so I can plant a grove of them  :D . As far as the Tibochina I think I'm going to be trading in my mask and snorkel for a machete and loppers  :o . See ya soon, Steve

(Steve from San Diego @ Jul. 09 2007,21:26)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jul. 09 2007,02:17)

More   put tiki pic here

BS

Wait! Was that Tika with the Tikis??  ??? :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jul. 10 2007,02:25)

(Steve from San Diego @ Jul. 09 2007,21:26)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jul. 09 2007,02:17)

More   put tiki pic here

BS

Wait! Was that Tika with the Tikis??  ??? :D

The one and only... Tiki Tika  :D .

post-351-1184070663_thumb.jpg

Cool! :cool:

Great shots Steve; glad you got some photos of Dean's aroids-I'm afraid I was too busy drooling over them to take any photos when I was there.  Here's Dean's Mad. Foxtail though:

IMG_9278.jpg

San Fernando Valley, California

(Peter @ Jul. 10 2007,10:02)

Great shots Steve; glad you got some photos of Dean's aroids-I'm afraid I was too busy drooling over them to take any photos when I was there.  Here's Dean's Mad. Foxtail though:

IMG_9278.jpg

Peter, Great pic of Deans Mad fox! That newly opened frond is amazing. Again... my favorite palm in the world!

Steve

(krisachar @ Jul. 10 2007,11:16)

One more still for Titiki fans !  :)

Chris, Those tikis have some really nice details. I find it amazing how differant tikis look in various parts of the world. Who are they supposed to replicate? The first one looks like santa claus or a wizard. The others look like a cheery old bloak. Not as intimadating as some tikis I've seen. What type of wood are these carved from? What do ya get for one of those? Something like that here would cost $300.00 usd or more. Good stuff,

Steve

Dear steve  :)

these are carved usually in the trunk of palmeria tree(looks like a washy's trunk)and they use even coconut trunk.

but some well to do folks approach these craftsmen,they

supply the wood usually burma grade teak wood.and get

it crafted,those are bit expensive.and they are later manamel

matt finished or laquor finished depending on the coustomers taste..

and now to the price of each art cost around 40 to 50 U.S dollors and the material iam talking is of plameria trunk !

here is a link to my thread on landscapes in chennai...

here you can see the step by step procedure of titiki

making !

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....05;st=0

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread for the benefit of those who've been asking questions recently!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm