IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society - Spring Meeting - Sat. 03/07/2020

kinzyjr

CFPACS_logo.png

When more information becomes available, this thread will be updated. 

For now, a preview of upcoming meetings for the year and an updated listing of our officers is available at: http://www.cfpacs.com/

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 4 weeks later...

We're at the one month mark.  More information will be available shortly as details are finalized.  For those planning on attending, plan on meeting at Selby at 10:30am.  The address is below for your convenience.

Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
900 S Palm Ave
Sarasota, FL 34236

If you have a reciprocal garden pass, please bring it to save on the entrance fee.  If you are a member, or choose to become a member, CFPACS is tentatively planning on covering admission.  If you are attending as a guest, you'll need to pay the Admission fee(s) to Selby.

202002062305_MarieSelbyAdmission.png

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Not making any promises, but I'll try to attend. I've always wanted to visit Selby Gardens. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I'm gonna try to go, I want to get more involved! Plus see you guys again is always fun :)

• Like 2

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

CFPACS_logo.png

If you haven’t already, R.S.V.P. NOW!

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society
2020 Spring Gathering

Saturday, March 7th, 2020

TIME

DESCRIPTION

10:30 AM

Marie Selby Botanical Gardens

900 S Palm Ave.

Sarasota, FL 34236

Come enjoy a garden visit this tropical garden on the Sarasota waterfront. 

All attendees should plan to meet at the entrance to the gardens by 10:30 AM. Please bring reciprocal garden passes if you have them.  CFPACS will cover the admission for members and encourage guest attendees to join CFPACS. 

Information about the gardens is available at: https://selby.org/

1:00 PM

Rob Branch’s Private Garden

1315 38th St.

Sarasota, FL 34234

Come enjoy lunch and explore one of the best private gardens in Central Florida!

Lasagna will be served as the main dish. Water and soft drinks will be provided.  Guests should bring sides, salads and desserts to share.  Anything additional is BYOB.

Rob has maintained a garden featuring an extensive selection of palms, cycads and other tropical plants garden for over two decades.

Please R.S.V.P. to Tracy Hines at thines61@icloud.com

What you need to bring to the meeting:

1.    A side, salad, or desert to share

2.    A plant for the auction (Palms, Cycads, Companion plants)

3.    A chair for your own personal enjoyment!

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like a preview of Rob Branch's garden, this short video from 2018 should hold you over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icpk946w_GY

Lakeland, FL

Sorry guys, I’m not going to make it. I can visit Selby for free in a few weeks so I’ll just wait until then... Plus, @Chatta will probably give us all the coronavirus. :bummed:

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Will miss you @RedRabbit!

For those planning on attending, you may want to bring a jacket.  There should be plenty of sun, but the morning and evening temperatures might feel a little chilly with winds coming out of the NNE at 17mph.

202003021755_SarasotaWeather_WeatherChannel.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Awesome meeting!  Great to see @sarasota alex, @Chatta, @Keith in SoJax, @SW_FL_Palms, @Licuala and @Eric K again (among others).  Photos will be added after a bit.  Yes @RedRabbit, Chatta did infect us with Corona...

20200307_171420_Corona_800.png

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

Glad to hear it was a good time, hopefully one day I can make a gathering!

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

@Palmaceae It will be good to see you again when you do.  The Summer meeting is scheduled for Leu Gardens in Orlando, FL in June.  We're hoping to have presentations on fertilizer and lethal bronzing after a garden tour in the morning (before it hits 95 degrees).

I did forget to mention how nice it was to have @cycadjungle at the gardens with so many different cycads around and coning.

For those who were hunting for Foxy Lady palms, there was one in the auction... you missed it ;)

For those awaiting photos, here is a link to some photos from Marie Selby Botanical Gardens:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/62804-cfpacs-03072020-part-i-marie-selby-botanical-gardens-sarasota-fl/

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL