IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which Succulent

GDLWyverex

4 minutes ago, GDLWyverex said:
What's this succulent called?
SucculentTop.jpg

SucculentSide.jpg

Thanks

Richard

Looks like an older Agave attenuata.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Looks like an older Agave attenuata.

Great news as I didn't have one of those until now

Thanks

Richard

• Like 1

Attenuata are neat agaves, they are a bit frost-sensitive though.  But they are fairly fast growers and (I think) offset freely.  Maybe not quite as much as an Americana or Weberi, where the running joke seems to be, "if you have one Weberi, you have 20 Weberi."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Attenuata are neat agaves, they are a bit frost-sensitive though.  But they are fairly fast growers and (I think) offset freely.  Maybe not quite as much as an Americana or Weberi, where the running joke seems to be, "if you have one Weberi, you have 20 Weberi."

Yes.. attenuata can produce a lot of pups, or so it seems they do, esp. when younger. Kind of surprised Richard's has no pups. Kind of like the solitary look myself.

As far as offsetting, :greenthumb: at least A. weberi can be tackled if it gets a little too "productive", lol.. Won't even approach overgrown clumps of americana or angustifolia.. You can do everything possible to avoid being attacked while trimming or cleaning them up, and still walk away looking like someone who just tried to bathe their Cat(s).. Marginal teeth / broken bits of terminal spines always seem to find their way through a pair of Welding Gloves.. Fiber Glass-like Glochids from Opuntias and Cholla Spines are the only things that are worse.  Love my spiny things, but try to keep the torture potential to a minimum, lol.

4 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yes.. attenuata can produce a lot of pups, or so it seems they do, esp. when younger. Kind of surprised Richard's has no pups. Kind of like the solitary look myself.

As far as offsetting, :greenthumb: at least A. weberi can be tackled if it gets a little too "productive", lol.. Won't even approach overgrown clumps of americana or angustifolia.. You can do everything possible to avoid being attacked while trimming or cleaning them up, and still walk away looking like someone who just tried to bathe their Cat(s).. Marginal teeth / broken bits of terminal spines always seem to find their way through a pair of Welding Gloves.. Fiber Glass-like Glochids from Opuntias and Cholla Spines are the only things that are worse.  Love my spiny things, but try to keep the torture potential to a minimum, lol.

It was gifted to me by a neighboor who had it in the yard planted in clay in full Mexican sun with very little water which according to what I have read is exactly opposite of what it likes. Seems it prefers filtered sun, loamy soil and plenty of moisture. Not having any of these things probably accounts for the lack of pups. I  have provided a new ambience which is hopefully more to it's liking and I hope to see some pups in the nexr few years.

It is a beautiful plant with a trunk standing 1 meter tall apart from it's foliage.

Richard

1 minute ago, GDLWyverex said:

It was gifted to me by a neighboor who had it in the yard planted in clay in full Mexican sun with very little water which according to what I have read is exactly opposite of what it likes. Seems it prefers filtered sun, loamy soil and plenty of moisture. Not having any of these things probably accounts for the lack of pups. I  have provided a new ambience which is hopefully more to it's liking and I hope to see some pups in the nexr few years.

It is a beautiful plant with a trunk standing 1 meter tall apart from it's foliage.

Richard

They'll handle fairly dry conditions pretty well and still pup. Have seen them growing in sandy spots near the beach, or up on cliffs around coastal Southern California. Yours may be at an age where pup production slows down, but doesn't stop entirely. Get ready for a massive flower stalk though..

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

You can do everything possible to avoid being attacked while trimming or cleaning them up, and still walk away looking like someone who just tried to bathe their Cat(s).. 

My ex always wanted to bathe the cats.  I told her that she was welcome to try, but I preferred my blood on the inside of my body and skin on the outside. 

My attenuatas are (so far) solitary, but are only about 2 feet in diameter right now.  Maybe they haven't grown up to that point yet, or there is just "variable pupping" depending on genetics and conditions.  

I'm lucky on my Angustifolia Marginata, they started pupping almost as much as an Americana, but the pups are showing up about 2 feet from the mother plant!  This makes it really easy to pull them out and pot up the offsets.  My Americanas are doing the same.  Maybe it's just that they are growing in very soft sandy soil, so they pup out at a longer distance than "normal" for rocky or clay soil.

Edited by Merlyn2220
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

My ex always wanted to bathe the cats.  I told her that she was welcome to try, but I preferred my blood on the inside of my body and skin on the outside. 

My attenuatas are (so far) solitary, but are only about 2 feet in diameter right now.  Maybe they haven't grown up to that point yet, or there is just "variable pupping" depending on genetics and conditions.  

I'm lucky on my Angustifolia Marginata, they started pupping almost as much as an Americana, but the pups are showing up about 2 feet from the mother plant!  This makes it really easy to pull them out and pot up the offsets.  My Americanas are doing the same.  Maybe it's just that they are growing in very soft sandy soil, so they pup out at a longer distance than "normal" for rocky or clay soil.

I hear that, lol. Not much of a Cat person myself.. Being bit/scratched more times then i can count growing up pretty much sealed the deal there. Had an Ex girlfriend assume a kitten would make a great birthday gift.. Was for her, lol..  That said, there was a male that used to come and hang out on any time i was doing something out on my patio when i lived in Ohio. Compared to other strays my mom would rescue, this guy behaved quite un-cat like. Very calm, would only raise his head from his spot on the couch when i came home from work.. Never bit or scratched.  Was sort of sad when we found him a new home.

Very possible some attenuata clones offset more than others.. Growing conditions could def. influence that also.