IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia in pots

dorian24

Hello everybody.

First of all, I want to introduce myself. I am a new member. My name is Dorian, and I am from France (that's why my english is not very good...). I live in the savoy region (south east of France, near Lyon).
I am passionnate about palm trees for two years, especially Washintgonia palm trees. Here I want to share my experience by telling you about my three Washingtonia in pots.

The first (the largest) was purchased in April 2019. It has flourished since then. But I don't know if it's a Filifera or a Robusta. I think it's a Filibusta but I'm not sure.
The other two are botanical Filifera (Coachella Valley and Palm Canyon) purchased online from a specialized French nursery.
I present you the photos of my potted palm trees.

01.jpg

02.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, dorian24 said:

Hello everybody.

First of all, I want to introduce myself. I am a new member. My name is Dorian, and I am from France (that's why my english is not very good...). I live in the savoy region (south east of France, near Lyon).
I am passionnate about palm trees for two years, especially Washintgonia palm trees. Here I want to share my experience by telling you about my three Washingtonia in pots.

The first (the largest) was purchased in April 2019. It has flourished since then. But I don't know if it's a Filifera or a Robusta. I think it's a Filibusta but I'm not sure.
The other two are botanical Filifera (Coachella Valley and Palm Canyon) purchased online from a specialized French nursery.
I present you the photos of my potted palm trees.

01.jpg

02.jpg

These looks healthy, good job. What's the soil mix you're using for potted Washingtonia?

Rafal

• Like 1

Thank you for your compliment. I use potting soil "Mediterranean plants" that can easily be found in garden shops, with a good layer of clay balls at the bottom to facilitate drainage. And I add "Palm Focus" (sea weed) fertilizer in spring and summer with each watering.

I think the climate has to play a little. I live in a place where it is very hot in summer (between 35 and 40 ° C in summer) and small frosts in January and February (I protect them with covers just in case).

• Like 1

Dorian, your Washies look great. When the weather gets hot, they will grow very fast. Will you plant them someday? Welcome to PalmTalk.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hello, and thank you for you welcome.

My goal is to leave them in pots the longest time possible. Unfortunately, I live in a flat, so I can't plant them in a garden. Never mind, they will grow slower than in the ground.