IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Microspadix Inflorescence

DAVEinMB

Happy 2020 everyone!

Just noticed this on one of my chamaedorea this morning. These were planted this past spring, is it normal for these guys to flower in December/January? Been a mild winter so far - December recorded temps in attached pic. 

20200101_100144.jpg

20200101_110230.jpg

20200101_110330.jpg

Screenshot_20200101-111017_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Laaz said:

They will bloom all year as long as they aren't damaged by a freeze, same as Radicalis.

And here I thought maybe it was a festivus miracle! Haha

• Like 1

Nice! And here I was excited about my palms still growing lol! Earliest I have inflorescence was chambers (blue and green) in early april. Might try and plant out my radicalis in spring with that motivation.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Nice! And here I was excited about my palms still growing lol! Earliest I have inflorescence was chambers (blue and green) in early april. Might try and plant out my radicalis in spring with that motivation.

Where did you get your radicalis from? I want to pick a couple up for this spring 

On 1/5/2020 at 12:09 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Where did you get your radicalis from? I want to pick a couple up for this spring 

I got a few seeds sent to me by @DoomsDave and grew them from there. I have given most of mine away and am down to 4 plants. I want to plant them out in the spring but afraid they won't make it here even with the best setting I can give them.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:48 AM, mdsonofthesouth said:

Chamaerops*

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

18 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I got a few seeds sent to me by @DoomsDave and grew them from there. I have given most of mine away and am down to 4 plants. I want to plant them out in the spring but afraid they won't make it here even with the best setting I can give them.

If you decide you aren't going to plant them and want to sell them send me a PM

5 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

If you decide you aren't going to plant them and want to sell them send me a PM

Couldn't in good conscious sell what was given to me for free. If there are any spare when I plant them out I'll let you know

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Couldn't in good conscious sell what was given to me for free. If there are any spare when I plant them out I'll let you know

:shaka-2:

I went out and looked at mine. They’re just starting to produce the flower bud. Our temps for the last couple months have been around 50f so pretty cool weather. 

96508F4F-2D9A-4A7D-9B12-336EC17C92D2.jpeg

3290AEBE-29E0-4F8E-A04E-624069104597.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I went out and looked at mine. They’re just starting to produce the flower bud. Our temps for the last couple months have been around 50f so pretty cool weather. 

96508F4F-2D9A-4A7D-9B12-336EC17C92D2.jpeg

3290AEBE-29E0-4F8E-A04E-624069104597.jpeg

Nice, we're going to be in the 60s and 70s for the next 2 weeks so mine should keep on pushing. 

Is that a fatsia in the background of the first pic?

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Nice, we're going to be in the 60s and 70s for the next 2 weeks so mine should keep on pushing. 

Is that a fatsia in the background of the first pic?

Yes, it's an extremely common plant around here.  I have a dozen of them in backyard, they're a great filler plant and pretty cheap to buy.  Easy to propagate too.

24 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Yes, it's an extremely common plant around here.  I have a dozen of them in backyard, they're a great filler plant and pretty cheap to buy.  Easy to propagate too.

What type is it? I have a japonica currently but plan on adding others. 

20200107_174434.jpg

I have primarily the standard green, but do have a couple of "spider web" ones.  Variegated and camouflage are pretty nice too.

I do also have a variegated Fatsehedra.