IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eucalyptus Cinerea in New Jersey

Nj Palms

My Eucalyptus Cinerea have done phenomenal this winter so far. They have survived multiple nights of 16°F-20°F no damage at all. They are still slowly growing too. The real test will be below 10°F. Hoping we don’t go below that this winter. These are definitely worth a try in 7a-6b. (I posted this in this forum instead of tropicals because I thought you guys would want to see it.)

A07A6E32-5D66-41BA-A86C-9DEBA1656636.jpeg

9F76BD75-31C0-40E1-BDA1-627D4AB365D4.jpeg

B801781D-6A17-48E0-934F-F13F33D9EB48.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm in zone 6b southern Ohio and bough a pot of Eucalyptus I found on clearance at Lowes. I'm not sure which species it is but I went ahead and planted it hoping I might be able to grow it as a dieback perennial. So far the lowest temp it has seen is 13F and it has no damage, I piled mulch around the base of it which should help some. Any Idea what species it is?

20191103_165443.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

I'm in zone 6b southern Ohio and bough a pot of Eucalyptus I found on clearance at Lowes. I'm not sure which species it is but I went ahead and planted it hoping I might be able to grow it as a dieback perennial. So far the lowest temp it has seen is 13F and it has no damage, I piled mulch around the base of it which should help some. Any Idea what species it is?

20191103_165443.jpg

Maybe E. neglecta aka Omea Gum?

I have two E.s planted out here in zone 7b/8a. According to literature, there are no hardy E.s in zone 7, but I'm not really convinced that they won't survive our absolute lows which are at around 0°F.

It's not E. neglecta, the leaves are too segmented and not large enough.  I don't see a square stem either.

Possibly could be E. pulverulenta.

Unfortunately long term those probably won't make it.  Eucs are here in Portland are in small numbers but increasing in popularity, we are limited to the most cold hardy varieties.  I would say the most cold hardy would be E. pauciflora either subspecies "niphophila" or "debeuzevillei".  I know they grow these in Virginia along with E.neglecta.  

I can't vouch for this company as i get all my Eucs locally, but it may be a good source of info for you as well as a source for seedlings.

https://southerneucs.com/

Ours defoliated after going from 80f to 21-22 in 24hrs back in November coupled with heavy frost.  

Hmm they claim zone 7 hardiness. Not sure I'm interested but cool none the less!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto