IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis Pyroformis with Copper Frond

joe_OC

A lot of color in the yard right now from plans.  Pyroformis slowly opening it’s frond since Christmas now finally unfurled.

A6CDD0EB-16F8-4BDD-A9E7-4BF44D04C27E.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Looks awesome! I have a tiny 5 gallon one that I’m going to plant in spring. Do you think full sun is ok 50 miles inland? The spot I have planned is next to my house but faces west so in summer it will get some intense afternoon sun.

1 hour ago, James B said:

Looks awesome! I have a tiny 5 gallon one that I’m going to plant in spring. Do you think full sun is ok 50 miles inland? The spot I have planned is next to my house but faces west so in summer it will get some intense afternoon sun.

Mine were planted as seedlings from Floribunda.  I planted mine in too much shade.  It would be a lot faster if I had it in more sun.  That said, my climate is very different than yours.  

I do know that there is a very large, seeding pyroformis growing in full sun in Fullerton.  

If I were inland, I would find a spot that gave it morning sun to be safe.

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Cool. I’d like to see where that Palm is. All the palms posted on PT are fairly small so I cannot say I’ve seen a mature Pyriformis aside from doing a web search.

2 minutes ago, James B said:

Cool. I’d like to see where that Palm is. All the palms posted on PT are fairly small so I cannot say I’ve seen a mature Pyriformis aside from doing a web search.

That palm is in Bob Bortscher's (sp?) yard.  It is in Fullerton Heights.  

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I'm 30 miles inland up here, and all Kentiopsis definitely benefit from afternoon shade.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

13 hours ago, James B said:

I agree with Joe.

I live in Vista and my old one is planted in too much shade. Back when planted they were holy grail-ish, so I didn't want to kill it.

Now commonly available, so maybe plant a couple.

I ironically planted out a 1 gallon straight from FB last year in Vista CA FULL sun as a bet with a friend. It burned a little, but survived the sun,  It doesn't look good because rabbit ate it's new spear, but it is still alive.

BTW I lost the bet... I thought it wouldn't survive full exposure.  I'll click a couple pictures after I walk my dogs.

So here is a 1 gallon FB...  straight into FULL sun exposure... minus new spear from rabbit buffet.

Obviously shade cloth or protection out of the gates is needed. However, it is not dead.  Not many FB 1 gallons can take that.

DSCF0250 (Large).jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joe_OC said:

A lot of color in the yard right now from plans.  Pyroformis slowly opening it’s frond since Christmas now finally unfurled.

A6CDD0EB-16F8-4BDD-A9E7-4BF44D04C27E.jpeg

That is beautiful!!  thanks for sharing. I too have one in ground for years that is in way too much shade.  You think the shade helps make the colors pop? I have never seen one in full sun exposure here.

2 hours ago, TomJ said:

So here is a 1 gallon FB...  straight into FULL sun exposure... minus new spear from rabbit buffet.

Obviously shade cloth or protection out of the gates is needed. However, it is not dead.  Not many FB 1 gallons can take that.

DSCF0250 (Large).jpeg

They are one of the toughest palms I have.  I think temperature dictates the color.  It has been a deeper shade of copper in the past.  

Edited by joe_OC

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24