PalmTreeDude

It appears that something ate the majority of my Serenoa repens seedling that I planted over the summer. Are there any animals that seem to particularly like eating palms, or is it likely that this was just a taste test? 

20191230_120809.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Stevetoad

looks like rabbit work to me. here they will munch anything that they cant hide under.

Darold Petty

Could also be roof rats, (Rattus rattus).  They eat my wife's herb seedlings. :wacko:

joe_OC

Lost 3 very old C metallicas to rats this week...  :violin:

PalmatierMeg

Rabbits, rats, squirrels, all of them? I had almost my whole crop of silver saw palmetto eaten by varmints this year.

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

This was a silver too. I need to start growing things longer in pots. I have now lost two Sabal minor, three live oaks, and this Serenoa repens, assuming it doesn't somehow come back, to rodents. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Stevetoad
55 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

This was a silver too. I need to start growing things longer in pots. I have now lost two Sabal minor, three live oaks, and this Serenoa repens, assuming it doesn't somehow come back, to rodents. 

how about making a cage around them with 1/2 wire or chicken wire. ive done that on a few special plantings. i just made a one foot tall fence around it. seemed to do the trick. if its rats this probably wont work though

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude
41 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

how about making a cage around them with 1/2 wire or chicken wire. ive done that on a few special plantings. i just made a one foot tall fence around it. seemed to do the trick. if its rats this probably wont work though

That sounds like a good idea. I had to make a caged box on my deck for germinating seeds because squirrels kept digging everything up (over 50 live oak seeds at one point). 

Chester B
3 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

I did this for all of my fruit and nut trees when I lived in the country.  One night unprotected and the rabbits will get them.  Any damage in my current garden is always due to rabbits as well.

branislav
9 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

I am so sick of the damn rabbits. I have dozens of cages, often put up after I discovered the rabbits munching on the plant, and the bastards just move one to another plant. Usually, the next most expensive/rare one they can find. And don't get me started on gophers. I am in constant chemical warfare with them: it's WWI underground here!

• Like 1

joe_OC

Caught two huge fat rats.  Will put out more traps.  Will make this a regular practice going forward.

NC_Palms

Here squirrels are my biggest concern. They will chew down and rip seedlings straight out of the grown. I like to protect all my little seedlings in chicken wire until I feel they are large enough to tolerate whatever nature throws at them.

RyManUtah

I second the cage idea. I build several with fine wire during the ‘apocalyptic’ grasshopper infestations last year. 

• Like 1