• Similar Content

• Tennessee Palms
      By Tennessee Palms
      A couple days ago I noticed the leaf on my Sabal Minor seedling has been taking off. To me it seemed like it grew about half an inch or so however when I looked back at a Facebook post from November I realized how much it has grown and I'm surprised to see that it slowly pushed out way more than I thought.  The picture of it sitting in water is the November picture and the other one is from a few days ago. 

• donofriojim1
      By donofriojim1
      For my next post, I want to highlight some of the palms that I've come across in the Cincinnati suburbs outside of the ones in my yard. The first picture is of a windmill palm (trachycapus fortunei) on the eastern side of town. According to the grower, this specimen has endured three winters in the ground with minimal protective measures. His protection for this palm is only a heating cable around the trunk and a frost cloth. This picture was taken in late spring, 2019. It had completely defoliated during January,2019 when temps did drop below zero. The palm started to rebound very quickly. The second picture is the same palm this spring shared to me by the grower with the heating cable still on the trunk and a fully recovered crown.

The next several pictures are from a grower just a stones' throw away from me in the northern Cincinnati suburbs. This grower has some truly wonderful exotics that most nursery staff would say are a waste of time and money in his yard that have proven to be as reliable as tulips simply from protection for wind, placing in the sunniest spots, and extra mulch. The first of these pictures from his yard is a rare true trachycarpus takil that he raised for seed. It has also been in the ground for three years and is only protected by being covered with a mound of straw, no added heat. The other pictures are winter time pictures of his needle palm and sabal minor, He unlike me, does take some protective measures. His protective measures are just covering the trunk of the plant with straw while leaving all leaves exposed. these needle palms and sabal minor have been in the ground since 2006 and laughed off the vortex years.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I collect rare specimens of the variable Sabal minor, esp. those that are dwarfs or uber dwarfs. I got many of those from Plant Delights Nursery, which offers Sabal palms sporadically, sometimes as one-off sales. When they have one I want, I know to order quickly because it may never be offered again. Such is the case for two different Sabal minors I pounced upon nearly two years ago and haven't seen since. I have them in my garden lot where they have gone pinnate. Today I took photos of them. They are quite distinct.
      Sabal minor 'Welfare', Texas aka the "Poor Scrub" palmetto
      This palm occurs as a population in grasslands near the ghost town of Welfare in Kendall County, TX. Some plants will grow trunks up to 8' tall. The juvenile I have is approx. 2' tall x 2' wide. Check out the link to PDN below:
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-welfare

Sabal minor 'High Springs', FL
      This dwarf Sabal minor comes from the town of High Springs in Alachua County, FL. It is distinctive for being very short, 2' tall, and wide, 4' wide. Leaf pinnae are notably narrow. Flower stalks reach 7' tall.
      See link to PDN catalog below:
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-high-springs

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I live right on the 7a/7b line in the western piedmont of NC and I'm looking for some new palms to try. Currently, I have three Sabal Minor var. Louisianas and three potted majesty palms. The majesty palms have grown to be quite large and I'm worried I won't be able to fit them inside next winter. I'd like to replace them with some palms (other than Sabal Minor) that are hardy to my zone and can be planted directly into the ground.  I'm relatively new to palm cultivation so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I was exploring Southport, NC on google maps when I came across this large sabal palmetto growing among a few smaller ones beside the Southport Baptist Church.  It is certainly one of the larger specimens in the area.