Jillian

Oh I saw the previous picture of your little guy standing next to it when the tree was young. Yes, it’s growing nicely. I’m pretty happy with the growth I too have gotten on about 4 of my Kings, the others not so much. They are about 4 years old. I’m not sure exactly sure which type mine are. We’re in Oxnard so very breezy, with the “May Grey”, &  “June Gloom”. Thanks for sharing the updated photo. . 

cisco

Now we are waiting for rain. 

20200629_210856.jpg

• Like 5

Bazza

Working with my Archies today.

I had re-planted an island between two of my driveways....removed two large Queens and replanted with three double trunk Picabeens. This was a couple weeks ago. Then I noticed on two of these Picabeens.....one of the trunks was getting that shriveled diseased look/feel along with some frond browning.

Drat! :(

So today I swapped those out for two identical double trunk Picabeens I had planted elsewhere on my property.

Tomorrow I will divide the two (sick) double trunk Picts and replant the healthy twin as a single.

I had two single Alexanders in pots that I planted where I removed the healthy Pics. Now I have a 'grove' of 5 singles there.

In all I now have 7 Picts and 6 Alexanders in the ground, with a Tuckeri and a Puperea in pots waiting their turn.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

Edited by Bazza
  • Like 1

James B

There you go.

• Like 1

Bazza

Was able to harvest some fruit from this one today. It's so pretty on the tree I hated to remove it! Belongs to another resident here, who graciously granted me permission to take the fruit. None of mine are bearing any fruit yet.

Also, I was browsing through the palm section of my Florida Landscape Plants by Watkins & Sheehan book and the common name they gave it is Alexadra Palm - not Alexander.

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

• Like 4

philinsydney

I've even seen "King Alexander palm" suggested.

We usually call A. cunninghamiana "bangalow palmover herebut Queenslanders sometimes call it "piccabeen palm" apparently.

• Like 1

chad2468emr
On 12/26/2019 at 1:50 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Archonotophoenix alexandrae

762946218_Archonotophoenixalexandrae0210-12-19.thumb.JPG.b62887dac9ad7674d1eee4e9b91252c7.JPG

@PalmatierMeg - take a look at a few of the seedlings you sent me last fall! They’ve quadrupled in size and a few had to be potted up. They had the teeniest little forked leaves when I got them and I’m hopeful they’ll look like yours before I know it! :D 
1D834332-5168-43D0-8CE9-62C57BF10908.thumb.jpeg.529fde40dcec399d9b99dc8a21f19e0a.jpeg

I just adore this genus. Achontos are one of my absolute favs and I really enjoyed reading through this thread. I somehow didn’t know beatricea was a thing, but after looking at these photos, it’s definitely on my list! I’m beyond jealous of you Californians that can find these things for sale everywhere because it is slim pickins in Florida. You’re lucky to find a cunninghamiana let alone a cultivar of alexandrae down here. 

My alexandrae double in a 25g pot: 

8E502C7E-CF12-42E7-89BC-E57086787820.thumb.jpeg.d94ab6d372d7921e7e1facf93fdf330d.jpeg

Small purpurea that I sunburnt to hell and back when I got it last summer, but it’s recovering quickly. Can’t wait to start seeing some purple! 
822D7FB7-AF8F-498A-80F6-00A852A60646.thumb.jpeg.6bad0749ca7602e507fe24bf437ac9e5.jpeg

Another small alexandrae

11EDCE60-E12F-4F29-8562-66160FA352BE.thumb.jpeg.bf7da9def87129b2a89c79a1afc651d2.jpeg

Maxima

8261B933-27BA-4BDE-9F67-CE198EF18E3E.thumb.jpeg.08d7f11c023f0aa61e33d8b5dbfaaea4.jpeg

Small cunninghamiana triple. All three are putting out their first actual “fronds” with more than a forked leaf, and it’s making it look weird and messy right now, since they clash with the forked leaves, but I’m eager to see how it fills out after they all open fully and grow in. 
1B98B6F7-7A77-4AF3-B890-913FEE3A565C.thumb.jpeg.9f864331dc45825a02cd84f5964ac1a3.jpeg

• Like 2

chad2468emr
On 12/31/2019 at 6:39 PM, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

I agree. But the nursery in my little suburb. . . Well. . . There is only one way to put this. And it is an illustration. They carry piccabeen palms for $200 at 15g. So you see our quandary. 

I know just the nursery you speak of, haha. Last time I was there, they had the most stunted, under fertilized cunninghamianas with crowns 1/2 the size of what they should be, and yup, the prices were bonkers. I love browsing that place, but you can only see so many beccariophoenix and mule palms and others sold for 3x their worth before you get frustrated haha. 

Other than them, MB palms is the only place I’ve seen any archontos for sale in central FL on the regular, but I did manage to stumble across a 15g alexandrae double for sale at uncle jutty’s nursery in Lake Nona. It was mislabeled as an adonidia, but I bought it for $80 haha. 

• Like 1

chad2468emr

Boot came off my small purpurea and it looks like it’s finally starting to show some color! I’m very excited! 

45704127-630A-43AA-BD67-962D2D90CC8C.thumb.jpeg.1a7080fd4a8fa543e5fe5d99582aea24.jpeg

• Like 3

philinsydney

Mine is the first one, then some others from the neighborhood.

P1010264.JPG

P1010265.JPG

P1010266.JPG

• Like 2

sonoranfans

I have a small purpurea triple in pretty deep shade, little direct sun.   purple2palms.thumb.jpg.5e998ccff218dc8f028c499e37712b64.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

BayAndroid

Wow that color really shows through in the shady conditions. Love it!