IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ahhh, the last A. alexandrae left in the garden. A bit hard to see amongst all the other stuff. Pretty big considering it's growing out of solid rock.

Tim

P1090461.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's an Archontophoenix maxima? that I got from Bret "Quaman58" six years ago.  The pictures a little over a year old and it has grown an additional three feet.  It seems to be taking off.  

Optimized-IMG_20180922_164511.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 12/31/2019 at 8:25 AM, Merlyn2220 said:

I said the Cunninghamiana are mostly *okay* in the upper 20s, probably depending on frost.

That is the key. My Cunninghamiana have seen a low the last 3 years of 28° with little damage, if the frost is light. Heavier frosts' with same temps will bronze the fronds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

That is the key. My Cunninghamiana have seen a low the last 3 years of 28° with little damage, if the frost is light. Heavier frosts' with same temps will bronze the fronds.

Mine took 28 last year with frost. The two out in the open had some frost damage. Maybe 25%. The one under canopy looked flawless. Alexandraes on the other hand were dead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Mine took 28 last year with frost. The two out in the open had some frost damage. Maybe 25%. The one under canopy looked flawless. Alexandraes on the other hand were dead. 

Wow. None of the Alexandrae I had last year were true type. I had 11 Alexandrae Beatriceae that saw 29 degree and had only mild frost burn on 25% of the leaves. Now Betrocks book of cultivated palms mentioned Beatriceae is the result of continual reselection of Alexandrae resulting in a hardier and more robust version. This year I planted a true Alexandrae but we have so far lucked out at the lowest it’s been this winter is 36 degrees. Now what’s also interesting is it says Beatriceae has larger more oval seeds than Alexandrae. So my question is Alexandrae Beatriceae a hybrid with another Archontophoenix? Or a misidentification of Maxima or Myolensis both of which I have read in the past have larger more oval fruit than Alexandrae which is more round in shape?

52D7384C-863F-4C36-AE5A-2561F065CE58.jpeg

Edited by James B

22 minutes ago, James B said:

Wow. None of the Alexandrae I had last year were true type. I had 11 Alexandrae Beatriceae that saw 29 degree and had only mild frost burn on 25% of the leaves. Now Betrocks book of cultivated palms mentioned Beatriceae is the result of continual reselection of Alexandrae resulting in a hardier and more robust version. This year I planted a true Alexandrae but we have so far lucked out at the lowest it’s been this winter is 36 degrees. Now what’s also interesting is it says Beatriceae has larger more oval seeds than Alexandrae. So my question is Alexandrae Beatriceae a hybrid with another Archontophoenix? Or a misidentification of Maxima or Myolensis both of which I have read in the past have larger more oval fruit than Alexandrae which is more round in shape?

I think what did it was the duration. At the time I was living in Katy (one of Houston’s coldest spots). It was an unusual early freeze. It came in November which is rare here. Houston barely got to freezing while Katy got down to 28 and the freeze lasted 11 hours.  I had one cunninghamiana under live oak canopy that looked like nothing had happened. I had two other cunninghamianas and two alexandraes only feet from each other completely exposed. The cunninghamianas had some frost burn but not bad. By early summer they looked good again. The alexandraes completely defoliated and slowly their crownshaft turned black and mushy. 

1 hour ago, Jeff985 said:

I think what did it was the duration. At the time I was living in Katy (one of Houston’s coldest spots). It was an unusual early freeze. It came in November which is rare here. Houston barely got to freezing while Katy got down to 28 and the freeze lasted 11 hours.  I had one cunninghamiana under live oak canopy that looked like nothing had happened. I had two other cunninghamianas and two alexandraes only feet from each other completely exposed. The cunninghamianas had some frost burn but not bad. By early summer they looked good again. The alexandraes completely defoliated and slowly their crownshaft turned black and mushy. 

That’s rough. I am lucky where I am that we get cold nights from December thru February but to your point we get a break every other week or so where it will hit 70 plus during the day and the night time low is 50. It’s listed as 9B but my average low in winter is more 10a. 31 to 34 is my normal low here. Houston is a zone or 2 colder than Rancho Cucamonga so I agree that when you get that week of it dropping every day below 30 it’s going to be too much for most tropical palms. Cunninghamiana until proven otherwise is the toughest of the Kings and is a legit 9B palm.

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of Cunningham and a trio of Alex.  Both grow quickly although they do get beat up by the wind and cold.  The Alex takes damage just below freezing and the Cunningham will take high 20's without too much damage.  So far this winter we have not dipped below freezing.  I did lose some Cunningham the first winter after it dipped down to around 26 and the palms were only around 3 feet tall.  I would expect that they would recover quickly from that now with their current size.

LargeKing.jpg

CuninghamandAlex.jpg

OtherKings.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, James B said:

That’s rough. I am lucky where I am that we get cold nights from December thru February but to your point we get a break every other week or so where it will hit 70 plus during the day and the night time low is 50. It’s listed as 9B but my average low in winter is more 10a. 31 to 34 is my normal low here. Houston is a zone or 2 colder than Rancho Cucamonga so I agree that when you get that week of it dropping every day below 30 it’s going to be too much for most tropical palms. Cunninghamiana until proven otherwise is the toughest of the Kings and is a legit 9B palm.

Week of below 30? I guess that’s possible and probably happened in ‘89, and I think 2011 was a long duration freeze. The freeze I was referring to was the only time that year it got below 30 and that wasn’t even in Houston. Hobby airport average annual low 1989-2018 is 28f.  Some years we don’t even have a freeze and when we do it’s usually in the 60’s or 70’s a couple days later. January is the coldest month of the year here. Average high in January is 64 average low is 45. So far this winter the lowest temperature in my area has been 33f.

20 hours ago, Jubaea said:

I did lose some Cunningham the first winter after it dipped down to around 26 and the palms were only around 3 feet tall. 

That's interesting. My first winter here in NorCal (9B) we hit 25° one night for several hours, and my Cunningham triple turned 80% bronze, but came back just fine. It was only 5' tall at the time.

14 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Week of below 30? I guess that’s possible and probably happened in ‘89, and I think 2011 was a long duration freeze. The freeze I was referring to was the only time that year it got below 30 and that wasn’t even in Houston. Hobby airport average annual low 1989-2018 is 28f.  Some years we don’t even have a freeze and when we do it’s usually in the 60’s or 70’s a couple days later. January is the coldest month of the year here. Average high in January is 64 average low is 45. So far this winter the lowest temperature in my area has been 33f.

Week long under 30 I am mistaken. Looking now at Houston in January 2018 there were 6 days below 30 for the month with 2 stretches of 3 days straight below 30 with the worst being between 1/16-1/18 where the low was 19 degrees on 1/17/18. That’s going to kill any Archontophoenix barring a seriously friendly microclimate. Any King that does survive it needs to be propagated so we can get those seeds spread as far as possible! Which is what I thought was interesting about Alexandrae Beatricea being the result of selecting the biggest and strongest Alexandrae and as a result we have added a few degrees of cold tolerance as well as IMO created a better looking palm as well due to its greenish blue crownshaft.

This is my A. alex twins. I'm living in Finland.  Thats why they grow in pots for the rest of their lives. I am a grown them from seed. In spring they come 3 years.

Screenshot_20200107-082653_Photos.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, James B said:

Week long under 30 I am mistaken. Looking now at Houston in January 2018 there were 6 days below 30 for the month with 2 stretches of 3 days straight below 30 with the worst being between 1/16-1/18 where the low was 19 degrees on 1/17/18. That’s going to kill any Archontophoenix barring a seriously friendly microclimate. Any King that does survive it needs to be propagated so we can get those seeds spread as far as possible! Which is what I thought was interesting about Alexandrae Beatricea being the result of selecting the biggest and strongest Alexandrae and as a result we have added a few degrees of cold tolerance as well as IMO created a better looking palm as well due to its greenish blue crownshaft.

Sure. 2018 was a reset. Coldest temperatures since 1989. The meteorologists referred to it as a 30 year freeze, but something to remember is the numbers you see are from Hobby Airport. The Houston metropolitan area is huge. East to west (Baytown to Katy) is 60 miles. North to south (Conroe to Galveston) is 90 miles. In that massive area there are factors influencing the weather. Inside the 610 loop there’s a serious urban heat island. South and east there’s water influence. Galveston, being an island has the best water influence. It can easily be 20 degrees warmer than Conroe. 7-8 degrees warmer than Hobby. Hobby is really a good spot for the official weather station if one spot has to be chosen because it’s not one of the warmer spots and it’s not one of the coldest spots either. It’s outside the loop so it doesn’t get the maximum heat island effect. It’s too far from the water to get that benefit. When Hobby recorded 19, north and west was a few degrees colder. South and east was a few degrees warmer. My area bottomed out at 22. Galveston was 25. But the point I was really trying to make is that long stretches below 30 aren’t normal here. Possible? Sure. Anything is possible when there’s nothing north of us to stop the Canadian invasions, but I’m not going to worry too much about 30 year events. In the last 30 years my house has been destroyed by hurricanes more times (3) than it’s seen temperatures below 25. If I’m going to worry about the weather, I’ll worry about the hurricanes. Not a hard freeze. But really I’m not going to spend much time worrying about either. That’s no way to live. Most years zone 10 stuff can easily survive here. So if I see something I like and it’s cheap, I’ll plant it. If I’m 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 years the polar vortex pays me a visit and kills it I will have gotten plenty of enjoyment to justify it. And you can bet your @$$ I’ll dig it up and do it again. I’m not sure why or how we got so off topic, but I’m done now. Back to sharing pics of archontophoenix. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

Sure. 2018 was a reset. Coldest temperatures since 1989. The meteorologists referred to it as a 30 year freeze, but something to remember is the numbers you see are from Hobby Airport. The Houston metropolitan area is huge. East to west (Baytown to Katy) is 60 miles. North to south (Conroe to Galveston) is 90 miles. In that massive area there are factors influencing the weather. Inside the 610 loop there’s a serious urban heat island. South and east there’s water influence. Galveston, being an island has the best water influence. It can easily be 20 degrees warmer than Conroe. 7-8 degrees warmer than Hobby. Hobby is really a good spot for the official weather station if one spot has to be chosen because it’s not one of the warmer spots and it’s not one of the coldest spots either. It’s outside the loop so it doesn’t get the maximum heat island effect. It’s too far from the water to get that benefit. When Hobby recorded 19, north and west was a few degrees colder. South and east was a few degrees warmer. My area bottomed out at 22. Galveston was 25. But the point I was really trying to make is that long stretches below 30 aren’t normal here. Possible? Sure. Anything is possible when there’s nothing north of us to stop the Canadian invasions, but I’m not going to worry too much about 30 year events. In the last 30 years my house has been destroyed by hurricanes more times (3) than it’s seen temperatures below 25. If I’m going to worry about the weather, I’ll worry about the hurricanes. Not a hard freeze. But really I’m not going to spend much time worrying about either. That’s no way to live. Most years zone 10 stuff can easily survive here. So if I see something I like and it’s cheap, I’ll plant it. If I’m 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 years the polar vortex pays me a visit and kills it I will have gotten plenty of enjoyment to justify it. And you can bet your @$$ I’ll dig it up and do it again. I’m not sure why or how we got so off topic, but I’m done now. Back to sharing pics of archontophoenix. 

Haha it sounds like Houston has a lot temp variation and microclimates many of which are much warmer than others. We have some variability from the ontario airport where I am usually we are 3-5 degrees cooler as I am at 1600 ft elevation and the airport is only around half that. That said bring on the pics! 

No more pictures? Cmmon please, help us pass January weather with something that will warm up our hearts

• Like 1

Archontophoenix myolensis

703F31C0-DE82-420A-959D-CD484BA8219A.jpeg

• Like 4

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Inside jungle shot. Archontophoenix Beatriceae in foreground, with a Couple Chambeyronia enjoying the canopy behind, followed by a quad Cunninghamiana, 3 single Maximas and a triple Beatriceae 

FC22E2E1-5CC1-41FF-8C96-0169D619485A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I go to work, cruise the internets, keep seeing this thread, then I tell myself to go get a photo of my Archy juvenile from the Container Ranch, then I go home from work, and forget all about it.  Then I go to work, cruise the internets, keep seeing this thread. . . 

• Like 2

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

8 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I go to work, cruise the internets, keep seeing this thread, then I tell myself to go get a photo of my Archy juvenile from the Container Ranch, then I go home from work, and forget all about it.  Then I go to work, cruise the internets, keep seeing this thread. . . 

:floor:

On 1/12/2020 at 2:23 PM, James B said:

Inside jungle shot. Archontophoenix Beatriceae in foreground, with a Couple Chambeyronia enjoying the canopy behind, followed by a quad Cunninghamiana, 3 single Maximas and a triple Beatriceae 

FC22E2E1-5CC1-41FF-8C96-0169D619485A.jpeg

Your archies look so healthy. Nice big trunks. Perhaps I have grown mine in too many triples etc. Or maybe I need to get better watering going in the summer..  curious what size you started from?

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Your archies look so healthy. Nice big trunks. Perhaps I have grown mine in too many triples etc. Or maybe I need to get better watering going in the summer..  curious what size you started from?

I have a mix of several sizes. The palm in the foreground was a small 5 gal from HD labeled as Cunninghamiana. I picked up this and 6 other singles which were all Alexandrae Beatricea. I picked up a 15 gal triple and a 20 gal triple Beatriceae also labeled at Cunninghamiana at the local HD lol. I have 5 Maximas all purchased between 5 gal and 20 gal. The most impressive growth explosion has been a 5 gallon Maxima I purchased from Bill at Multiflora Enterprises. It has put on 35” of height in 17 months and is going to be a beast in a few years. That said the other Maximas I purchased from Discovery Island and have not grown as fast. I think there is a bit of variation of size and color among Maxima as well as the other types of Archies. Some palms are just stronger specimens than others. I will say of the 6 Beatriceae all planted as 5 gallons the one in this pic is under canopy and has grown the fastest in terms of height. I have 2 healthy robust specimens with thick trunks but have grown much slower as they are in full sun. Happy no doubt just slower to attain height. 

Here is one same size started from 5 gal growth in full inland sun. Slow to put on height but is a thick stout palm that is happy despite the intense summer sun it gets.

6E96839D-6B49-49C0-ABDF-F02793443619.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James B said:

I have a mix of several sizes. The palm in the foreground was a small 5 gal from HD labeled as Cunninghamiana. I picked up this and 6 other singles which were all Alexandrae Beatricea. I picked up a 15 gal triple and a 20 gal triple Beatriceae also labeled at Cunninghamiana at the local HD lol. I have 5 Maximas all purchased between 5 gal and 20 gal. The most impressive growth explosion has been a 5 gallon Maxima I purchased from Bill at Multiflora Enterprises. It has put on 35” of height in 17 months and is going to be a beast in a few years. That said the other Maximas I purchased from Discovery Island and have not grown as fast. I think there is a bit of variation of size and color among Maxima as well as the other types of Archies. Some palms are just stronger specimens than others. I will say of the 6 Beatriceae all planted as 5 gallons the one in this pic is under canopy and has grown the fastest in terms of height. I have 2 healthy robust specimens with thick trunks but have grown much slower as they are in full sun. Happy no doubt just slower to attain height. 

I made the mistake of buying too many 24” boxes. I think I actually bought about 12 of them. While they provide instant gratification, due to the issues with their super sensitive roots, my best ones are from 5 gal. I think 3-15 gal is the best for these. Now my 3-15gals are passing them up while the boxes haven’t much grown in years!

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

I made the mistake of buying too many 24” boxes. I think I actually bought about 12 of them. While they provide instant gratification, due to the issues with their super sensitive roots, my best ones are from 5 gal. I think 3-15 gal is the best for these. Now my 3-15gals are passing them up while the boxes haven’t much grown in years!

Same here with with my B. alfredii.. from 2-3 gallons I went to 15 gallons. Roots are now showing beneath the 15 gal container, however leaves are still bifid!! I can see why uppoting should be gradual. 

Lesson learned.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

8 hours ago, enigma99 said:

That was my mistake with the first Roystonea I bought. I also bought in December and learned that lesson. I wanted to plant in March but the exposed roots could not handle the winter and I planted it in Jan thinking I could save it but not go. However last spring I planted 2 more in 24” box and those have grown well especially the bigger more robust of the 2 but it is in full sun all day and happy. With Archontophoenix I have not purchased any box size 20-25 gal have been the biggest with the bulk between 5-15. Agreed that it can take them some time to get established depending how good the transplant goes but the smaller palms can take off once happy. 

Edited by James B

Crap. . . I did it again.

Some volunteers growing at Robinson Preserve in Bradenton.

Plus a bonus pic of what I was greeted with when I came home from work today... sucks

C8D84596-ADCC-4658-854B-B62BC03968C4.jpeg

55E011CD-FC16-40BE-AA33-D674DAD19835.jpeg

6461FFC7-C1F3-446E-B457-C0D2B32826EA.jpeg

985A56A6-B5F8-4947-B586-93BE876D8BDA.jpeg

• Like 3

Archontophoenix Alexandrae in my garden. This is a clump of 14 in my backyard. There’s another clump like this in my front yard. These are all over this part of the Big Island. 

D90F6246-61D5-41F0-B283-B4EFE87AC776.thumb.jpeg.bd9709ff77c3ead00ab67a649d32e5d3.jpeg

while driving up the hamakua coast here you’ll cross over bridges and below you will be gulches filled with thousands of these palms. It’s an incredible sight!  I’ll look to see if I have any good photos that capture it. 

• Like 2

Speaking of Archontopheonix.......damn it.....I need another one like I need a hole in my head. But check out this Lowe’s offering. They just apparently got a great shipment of spectacular triples for sale. Look at the first four photos and tell me how much they are selling this for.????

8932C4A4-E81C-4CAD-84E2-E7400ECF4B29.thumb.jpeg.5144f6ca7c4162e2a1b6c62e674b1acd.jpegB460628B-298C-468F-BE1C-A5FE858CA3F6.thumb.jpeg.d38d6a011c5310098e45f81eb4ae8d89.jpeg6EA61B21-6729-4A94-9BB2-179B50DE3B36.thumb.jpeg.82f2061d7c55604b87c379a9dd8d8b86.jpegBB70E026-D16C-49DD-A6FB-065231A1E8E6.thumb.jpeg.c303a8827edee6c17aa3d109f756cc91.jpeg

Now look at the price. $89 is incredible deal for a triple King palm this size. Their previous ones are smaller and in 24” boxes and going for $299. I didn’t get it. I left feeling like “the one that got away” story. But I just don’t need this. 

73E188E2-EFA8-463D-97AD-2D6B089419B8.thumb.jpeg.f1b3a187e4505eaf578a58f4c7487307.jpeg

Edited by The Gerg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilo Jason said:

Archontophoenix Alexandrae in my garden. This is a clump of 14 in my backyard. There’s another clump like this in my front yard. These are all over this part of the Big Island. 

D90F6246-61D5-41F0-B283-B4EFE87AC776.thumb.jpeg.bd9709ff77c3ead00ab67a649d32e5d3.jpeg

while driving up the hamakua coast here you’ll cross over bridges and below you will be gulches filled with thousands of these palms. It’s an incredible sight!  I’ll look to see if I have any good photos that capture it. 

Those are insanely tall compared to California Kings! Very impressive.

1 hour ago, The Gerg said:

Speaking of Archontopheonix.......damn it.....I need another one like I need a hole in my head. But check out this Lowe’s offering. They just apparently got a great shipment of spectacular triples for sale. Look at the first four photos and tell me how much they are selling this for.????

8932C4A4-E81C-4CAD-84E2-E7400ECF4B29.thumb.jpeg.5144f6ca7c4162e2a1b6c62e674b1acd.jpegB460628B-298C-468F-BE1C-A5FE858CA3F6.thumb.jpeg.d38d6a011c5310098e45f81eb4ae8d89.jpeg6EA61B21-6729-4A94-9BB2-179B50DE3B36.thumb.jpeg.82f2061d7c55604b87c379a9dd8d8b86.jpegBB70E026-D16C-49DD-A6FB-065231A1E8E6.thumb.jpeg.c303a8827edee6c17aa3d109f756cc91.jpeg

Now look at the price. $89 is incredible deal for a triple King palm this size. Their previous ones are smaller and in 24” boxes and going for $299. I didn’t get it. I left feeling like “the one that got away” story. But I just don’t need this. 

73E188E2-EFA8-463D-97AD-2D6B089419B8.thumb.jpeg.f1b3a187e4505eaf578a58f4c7487307.jpeg

Nice! Lowe’s has epic deals on palms from time to time. I bought a quad  Cunninghamiana from them that was on super deal 2.5 years ago. Like yours it was a beastly robust group of Kings and had continued to grow stout trunks and huge crownshaft in comparison to the other Cunninghamiana in my yard.

13 hours ago, The Gerg said:

That's pretty average size/price for them up here.  Like you, I don't need them, so I don't buy them!

That said, I found one that was actually an alexandre, mislabeled as a cunninghamiana - over the Christmas break.  Snapped that one up!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

15 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Jealousy does not even begin to describe my feelings here. 

I love all my archontos - Illawaras and Myolensis are my favourites. Illawara for the deep brown leaves I get in winter and Myolensis for the arched crown!

These are some in my deeply shaded back garden with the exception of the small strip where I just discovered the loaded inflorescence a couple of days ago.

IMG_20200117_120742.jpg

IMG_20200117_120158.jpg

IMG_20200117_121025.jpg

IMG_20200117_121123.jpg

• Like 3

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Here is mine today, just opening a new frond today on this warm 75 degree day.  Tomorrow cold is coming only supposed to be in the 50s and tomorrow night in the upper 30s.  Luckily it is still under live oak canopy so we shouldn't have problems if there is frost.

palm2.JPG

palm1.png

• Like 7

Lou St. Aug, FL

Huzzah!  State/Fed holiday, using my time this morning for the midwinter soak and flush!  

This is my Arch. tuckeri from seed I obtained through this very forum.  All my palms seem to be really loving direct sun in the new digs! 

IMG_20200120_095849.jpg

IMG_20200120_095757.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I am new to PalmTalk and I’m sharing a photo of two of my King Palms that are doing well. I hope one of you who knows them well will look at my other post regarding concerns I have about my other Kings.  

7F2453CB-6D16-4431-B9AE-E387B50A2537.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jillian said:

I am new to PalmTalk and I’m sharing a photo of two of my King Palms that are doing well. I hope one of you who knows them well will look at my other post regarding concerns I have about my other Kings.  

7F2453CB-6D16-4431-B9AE-E387B50A2537.jpeg

:greenthumb:  Perfect..

This is my Archontophoenix, I think alexandrae but really not sure, it takes a beating from our dry winds and never looks that great, but I love the lime green trunk! ;)

IMG_20200620_105052_copy_750x1000.jpg.e7b184b73f6f4df042c9ea8e1d295874.jpg

• Like 6

Here is an updated picture of my maxima.  I am in inland Escondido so this does take some heat, but I don't think it looks bad.  I've been working on the house and neglecting the garden a little so I apologize for the weeds.  I think the maxima is a good inland choice.

IMG_20200628_160100.jpg

• Like 5