IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palm's did you get for Christmas

John hovancsek

Hi John. Are those two one gallons in the bigger pot in pic #1 lastelliana or nauseosa? The pinanaga and orianopsis are killer!

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Yes they are lastelliana . I got them a week ago and trying to find a place for them in the garden...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t actually get a palm for Christmas, but I did get a gift card to a local nursery and used it to buy this chambeyronia macrocarpa. 

5B95AB37-40F6-4185-856F-D6424C02F79A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I got a R. sambiranensis for my . Christmas gift to myself.

image.thumb.png.1d35f5206f8b8c4e7b72627b749bccee.png

• Like 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I didn't buy any palms for Christmas or New Year's since I had a garage full of seedlings, but I did decide to lower the inventory a bit by putting a bunch of them in the ground.  I planted:

30 x Washingtonia filifera seedlings from the Moapa Valley - survival of the fittest - at least a few will likely damp off

1 x Brahea brandeegii (Thanks @redbeard917)

3 x Livistona chinensis (Thanks @palmsOrl)

1 x Livistona decora + 5 Arenga engleri (Thanks CFPACS)

16 x Sabal minor 'McCurtain' + 10 x Sabal minor 'Cherokee' + 2 x Washingtonia filifera selected for damp tolerance (Thanks @TexasColdHardyPalms)

1 x Phoenix canariensis from seed locally collected

5 x Serenoa repens 'Super Silver' (Thanks @cfkingfish)

7 x Trachycarpus fortunei (Thanks @Chester B)

In the on-deck circle:

5 x Jubaea chilensis (Thanks @Josh-O)

30+ x Dypsis leptocheilos (Thanks @NatureGirl)

5 x Coccothrinax barbadensis (Thanks @DoomsDave)

2 x Phoenix reclinata from seed locally collected + possibly hybridized with canariensis nearby

3 x Nannorrhops ritchiana 'Silver' + 2 x Medemia argun (An additional thank you to TexasColdHardyPalms)

~35 x Adonidia merrillii (Thanks @NOT A TA )

Currently in germination:

30 x Hyphaene coriacea + ~120 Howea belmoreana (An additional thank you to cfkingfish)

10 x Howea forsteriana (from eBay)

~70 Dypsis leptocheilos (An additional thank you to NatureGirl)

~25 Thrinax radiata (An additional thank you to NOT A TA)

~25 Chamaedorea costaricana - Locally collected - Might get skunked on these, but we'll see.

• Like 9

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I recognize that greenhouse!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joe_OC said:

That is going to be amazing.  There is nothing wrong with gifts to yourself. I did the same

• Like 2

I didn't give myself any palms, but managed to send a few seeds, and will yet send more.

Love you all . . . .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:48 AM, John hovancsek said:

I will start with the 2 I got pinanga javiana and orianopsis apindictulata

20191225_081410.jpg

20191225_081428.jpg

That P. javana will make you scream, have to post a pic of mine . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:36 AM, joe_OC said:

Josh's nursery is like a palm Wonderland. I'm surprised you left with just one plant. I go for one and invariably leave with as many as I can stuff in the car. 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:40 AM, kinzyjr said:

I didn't buy any palms for Christmas or New Year's since I had a garage full of seedlings, but I did decide to lower the inventory a bit by putting a bunch of them in the ground.  I planted:

30 x Washingtonia filifera seedlings from the Moapa Valley - survival of the fittest - at least a few will likely damp off

1 x Brahea brandeegii (Thanks @redbeard917)

3 x Livistona chinensis (Thanks @palmsOrl)

1 x Livistona decora + 5 Arenga engleri (Thanks CFPACS)

16 x Sabal minor 'McCurtain' + 10 x Sabal minor 'Cherokee' + 2 x Washingtonia filifera selected for damp tolerance (Thanks @TexasColdHardyPalms)

1 x Phoenix canariensis from seed locally collected

5 x Serenoa repens 'Super Silver' (Thanks @cfkingfish)

7 x Trachycarpus fortunei (Thanks @Chester B)

In the on-deck circle:

5 x Jubaea chilensis (Thanks @Josh-O)

30+ x Dypsis leptocheilos (Thanks @NatureGirl)

5 x Coccothrinax barbadensis (Thanks @DoomsDave)

2 x Phoenix reclinata from seed locally collected + possibly hybridized with canariensis nearby

3 x Nannorrhops ritchiana 'Silver' + 2 x Medemia argun (An additional thank you to TexasColdHardyPalms)

~35 x Adonidia merrillii (Thanks @NOT A TA )

Currently in germination:

30 x Hyphaene coriacea + ~120 Howea belmoreana (An additional thank you to cfkingfish)

10 x Howea forsteriana (from eBay)

~70 Dypsis leptocheilos (An additional thank you to NatureGirl)

~25 Thrinax radiata (An additional thank you to NOT A TA)

~25 Chamaedorea costaricana - Locally collected - Might get skunked on these, but we'll see.

Are you planting a public park? :-)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, branislav said:

Are you planting a public park? :-)

Public park, botanical garden, back yard... 6 of one, half-dozen of the other :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

6 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

My palms are the ones getting a Christmas

Now that’s a nice jungle. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow how many yards of mulch is that? 

Not sure, 25-30? Made some more progress today mulching our some new plantings where I removed an old trellis. More space for palms!  Bonus - I may be able to get out of the driveway now. 

2C8EF147-AA99-4C41-AAAD-98E7D5EA4CE5.jpeg

6E4B34A2-AA23-4791-83C5-B2518A8E3E1A.jpeg

157B8B4B-6A01-484E-919E-173D96347EED.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That looks like a ton of work haha spread mulch is never fun. I usually have to dig it out of my truck into a wheel Barrow then spread around =/ 

T J 

47 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That looks like a ton of work haha spread mulch is never fun. I usually have to dig it out of my truck into a wheel Barrow then spread around =/ 

Unfortunately the area I am mulching is down garden steps, so I am carrying it down by the Brute can after wheeling it around the house!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

11 hours ago, branislav said:

Josh's nursery is like a palm Wonderland. I'm surprised you left with just one plant. I go for one and invariably leave with as many as I can stuff in the car. 

Who said I only got one palm?  B)

THIS palm was my gift to myself.  The other palms were just purchases.  :mrlooney:

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Unfortunately the area I am mulching is down garden steps, so I am carrying it down by the Brute can after wheeling it around the house!

It took me a year to spread the last load of mulch... and I had help!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, kinzyjr said:

Gadzooks!  That's 81 more palms in the ground, 80 on deck and another 280 germinating.  My wife already thinks I need an intervention, and I only have 130 in the ground and about 75 more in pots.  

I bought a bunch of barrel cacti and aloes for myself for Christmas, but I guess the Gaussia Princeps and Allagoptera Caudescens I just bought from BeesPalms could count as a late Christmas present to myself!  :D 

DoomsDave, you need to get that mutant Brahea going so we can continue to spread the FrankenBaheaApocalypse!  :P 

21 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Bonus - I may be able to get out of the driveway now.

Ben, you mean you aren't just going to bike everywhere?  :)  I just did the same mulching my palms for Christmas, but I did get a Dypsis leptocheilos for myself as a New Years gift this past weekend (thanks @Austinpalm!)

Dypsis leptocheilos.jpg

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

6 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Gadzooks!  That's 81 more palms in the ground, 80 on deck and another 280 germinating.  My wife already thinks I need an intervention, and I only have 130 in the ground and about 75 more in pots.

After seeing your math, I knew something was off! 

Add to the on deck circle:

1 x Syagrus romanzoffiana + 1 x Butia odorata (Both locally collected seed)

5 x Roystonea regia (Thanks @Steve the palmreader)

Sorry, that was a lot of shoveling and I was using those above to temporarily shade a few of the palms in the ground while they transition to full sun.  They got lost in the shuffle.

Some of that inventory will get auctioned off at CFPACS meetings and I'll likely use some of them to sell or trade for other palms.  There is next to no chance that any of those Jubaea will survive to adulthood here.  If all of those Washingtonia filifera survive in their elevated planting, I have a few friends struggling to get one to survive and have already offered to root prune one (or a few) of mine and give it to them at a larger size.

That said, try this one to stave off the intervention for a bit:

"Honey, look at this!  Some nutcase down in Lakeland planted 81 palms in two week and is planting 80 more soon!  This is on top of what he already had!  I'm glad I'm not that crazy!  What is in the water down there?"

If used in the winter, it will typically get you a reprieve until the spring plant sales roll around in March and April.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL