IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Saintelucei

steve99

Back in March 2016 I planted three Dypsis Saintelucie in my side garden.   Before planting, many had suggested they don't like it too wet and would likely die if drainage was poor.   Anyway, 3 years, 9 months later and they have powered along nicely without a hint of trouble.  

d87tpU6.jpg

v50EoHs.jpg

8O2NCL8.jpg

mlgKQi6.jpg

pk6IiAG.jpg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 9

Always been one of my favorite Dypsis Steve. They appreciate slightly higher temps than I can give them though. (Although some better growers in my area do pretty well with them) Yours look robust and fantastic. They're a bit unusual for a Dypsis that while only moderately sized, they also stay solitary, which is nice. Thanks for sharing!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Jesus they’re powering along Steve...are you home over the break? 

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

They’re awesome.

My transplant from Perth failed even though it was mounded up and in full sun. I should have left it behind.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 hour ago, Daryl said:

Jesus they’re powering along Steve...are you home over the break? 

Yes mate, I'll be home.   I don't go anywhere this time of year.  :D

On 12/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, steve99 said:

Yes mate, I'll be home.   I don't go anywhere this time of year.  :D

Might have some time to come over if you are up for it...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 10 months later...
On 12/25/2019 at 7:02 AM, steve99 said:

v50EoHs.jpg

8O2NCL8.jpg

Steve, I'm hoping to see an update of yours.  Mine are a couple of years behind yours and both are a little more stretched compared to yours although mine are getting a good deal of sun.  I have both staked as they tend to be a little wobbly still.  The one below is in a narrow strip between the paver driveway and a paver seating area, so roots may still be working to reach into the soil on those sides.  The other doesn't have any excuses as it's planted in a more open position with no hardscape nearby, but still appreciates the stake support for now. Mine were planted from 1 gallons in 2016.  Anyone else find this species a little wobbly when young.  I had similar problems when growing Dypsis marojejy (which I no longer have).

20201127-BH3I1933.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy - yours looks great, and yeah, mine always need to be propped up and supported, seems normal for this species when young.  

On 11/28/2020 at 4:34 AM, Tracy said:

Steve, I'm hoping to see an update of yours.  Mine are a couple of years behind yours and both are a little more stretched compared to yours although mine are getting a good deal of sun.  I have both staked as they tend to be a little wobbly still.  The one below is in a narrow strip between the paver driveway and a paver seating area, so roots may still be working to reach into the soil on those sides.  The other doesn't have any excuses as it's planted in a more open position with no hardscape nearby, but still appreciates the stake support for now. Mine were planted from 1 gallons in 2016.  Anyone else find this species a little wobbly when young.  I had similar problems when growing Dypsis marojejy (which I no longer have).

Here's two fresh pics from today.

dKOFlHC.jpg

EjBLdmn.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, steve99 said:

Here's two fresh pics from today.

Thanks Steve.  They definitely appear stouter and sturdier than both of mine.  I hope that over time mine get a little thicker.  Just one and two rings of trunk showing on mine right now, so perhaps there is still hope they will beef up.

I love threads like this! Before and after pics are the best IMO

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Here's an update pic taken today.      It's been a very wet summer so everything has grown well since the first good rains 3-4 months back.

h4JEkW1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

I planted 1 in the garden and it sat for a few months before it started growing. Now it is in grow mode and seems happy in the garden. This was a palm that I didn’t think would end up in my garden but was given one by Jeff Marcus and now I think I will get a few more

I just untied mine from the fence behind it as it now seems to not be wobbly. These are really nice palms. 

Sorry the lighting isn’t good as it’s pretty grey here today. 

8CD562DF-4CB8-4BB4-A3DC-8D1FC2077CC9.thumb.jpeg.3fcfecba7aa695fb7f25ff02efe749a8.jpeg

90889529-C816-47AF-A32B-3F8D3018BFB2.thumb.jpeg.206503411e2b1c20e15e838162094e19.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 5:21 PM, Hilo Jason said:

I just untied mine from the fence behind it as it now seems to not be wobbly.

I still have mine staked because it remains a little wobbly.  Hopefully in another year mine will get to the point it doesn't need the supports any longer.  It is just getting to the size where it gives the look I wanted over the decorative fence and a little bit of filtering of the light when sitting at the bench.  The second one I have is still wobbly and a little less thick.  Perhaps it is because it is growing in a partial shade spot its a bit more stretched.

20210422-BH3I3444.jpg

20210422-BH3I3445.jpg