Zach K

Indoor Travelers Palm Care

Zach K

Hello,

This summer I recently acquired a little Travelers Palm (Ravenala Madagascariensis) that was shipped from Claxton, GA all the way over to me in Portland, OR (8b). (I find Etsy to be a great website for ordering tropical plants) From July, up until now (December 24th) This plant has grown surprisingly well! I potted it in well draining soil and made sure to water carefully, also making sure to maintain a somewhat humid environment. At around mid to the end of September, I brought the plant to my office so it could stay there overwinter. The temperature in the office is constantly 70-72°F and with the luxury of a giant south facing window, the temperature in direct sunlight can heat up to about 80°F. I make sure to mist the plant daily and sometimes even twice if its REALLY dry in the office.  It's winter so i'm not fertilizing it however come summer time I plan to start slowly feeding it. To my surprise it is slowly growing, even in the office. I love these plants because it reminds me of my trips to Hawaii.

Summer time I plan to take it home, hopefully find a slightly larger pot and place it in the ground. I think it would be strange yet ultimately really cool to see a Live TP growing in the Pacific North West.

Is there anything I should be doing differently? Better? Suggestions?

If you have a TP that is growing indoors, post a picture or two and share how its flourishing in your home!

Cheers!

0.thumb.jpg.c99adfb4eb045ae689566506d862e82c.jpg

This is what it looked like^ in July 2019 on my backyard deck when I first received it. A little yellow but in no time it grew out a new leaf, and began to turn green.

1.thumb.jpg.14724e17c6611631dd0f34dbfdb7a188.jpg

Here is what it looks like^ as of today December 24, 2019 in my office. (Note the unfurling leaf - yay!)

2.thumb.jpg.5f0fd46803c3377e37d722bad627c71a.jpg

If you were wondering why it is on the ground, its just for photos. It lives on my desk all day next to my other plants.

3.thumb.jpg.d7c2565d83401fe75a045a1f086b254b.jpg

Diameter of the pot is 6.5 inches.

5.thumb.jpg.b9406a3760378df66a7619480bcf1926.jpg6.thumb.jpg.12c5ddaef88a004b26b337002bb17a07.jpg

• Like 2

Silas_Sancona
52 minutes ago, Zach K said:

Hello,

This summer I recently acquired a little Travelers Palm (Ravenala Madagascariensis) that was shipped from Claxton, GA all the way over to me in Portland, OR (8b). (I find Etsy to be a great website for ordering tropical plants) From July, up until now (December 24th) This plant has grown surprisingly well! I potted it in well draining soil and made sure to water carefully, also making sure to maintain a somewhat humid environment. At around mid to the end of September, I brought the plant to my office so it could stay there overwinter. The temperature in the office is constantly 70-72°F and with the luxury of a giant south facing window, the temperature in direct sunlight can heat up to about 80°F. I make sure to mist the plant daily and sometimes even twice if its REALLY dry in the office.  It's winter so i'm not fertilizing it however come summer time I plan to start slowly feeding it. To my surprise it is slowly growing, even in the office. I love these plants because it reminds me of my trips to Hawaii.

Summer time I plan to take it home, hopefully find a slightly larger pot and place it in the ground. I think it would be strange yet ultimately really cool to see a Live TP growing in the Pacific North West.

Is there anything I should be doing differently? Better? Suggestions?

If you have a TP that is growing indoors, post a picture or two and share how its flourishing in your home!

Cheers!

0.thumb.jpg.c99adfb4eb045ae689566506d862e82c.jpg

This is what it looked like^ in July 2019 on my backyard deck when I first received it. A little yellow but in no time it grew out a new leaf, and began to turn green.

1.thumb.jpg.14724e17c6611631dd0f34dbfdb7a188.jpg

Here is what it looks like^ as of today December 24, 2019 in my office. (Note the unfurling leaf - yay!)

2.thumb.jpg.5f0fd46803c3377e37d722bad627c71a.jpg

If you were wondering why it is on the ground, its just for photos. It lives on my desk all day next to my other plants.

3.thumb.jpg.d7c2565d83401fe75a045a1f086b254b.jpg

Diameter of the pot is 6.5 inches.

5.thumb.jpg.b9406a3760378df66a7619480bcf1926.jpg6.thumb.jpg.12c5ddaef88a004b26b337002bb17a07.jpg

Welcome to the forum! and Happy Holidays.

Looks like it is doing well thus far..  From your description, should be fine where you have it for the winter..  Watching how often it gets water would be the only thing i'd monitor closely.

Other members might have additional thoughts, if any..  but again, looks good.  When you start fertilizing, i might start out w/ something light.. organic based perhaps? to get it going.. If they behave like regular 'ol Bird Of Paradise, i'd lean a touch higher on the K ( Potassium ) over both Nitrogen and/or Phosphorus. ( say something like a  8-5-10 NPK ratio ) Just my own thoughts..

Good luck, and look forward to updates later..

Mangosteen

In the still, dry air of the office, you might get some insects on the plant. Mix 2.5 tablespoons of the Dawn dish soap and 2.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil with 1 gallon of warm soft water. Put mixture into a quart spray bottle. Apply this every other week or more often if you see bugs. Spray heavily both on top of and under leaves. A few drops of liquid seaweed fertilizer can be added to the mix.

Zach K

Thanks for the advice guys! This really helps! I’ll be sure to update periodically.

• Like 1

Ezgi

Hello everyone, I have a 1.30 meter indoor travelers palm, but I am not sure if it need direct sunlight or indirect sunlight? Should I put it in front of the window or a bit far from direct sunlight? And advise? Thanks a lot