IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis hovomantsina

edric

Was there any frost during your cold snap ? What kind of overhead protection does it get ? I know I want to find a cold hardy Dypsis haha 

T J 

This one is painfully slow here in So Cal for me.

I have two in ground for like three or four years from FB one gallons. No greenhouse at all.

Look fine, but a spear a year on a good year so far.

Post updates of these, I would like to see how much faster they are with heat and humidity.

Can post a picture if you want, one actually opened a new spear about a month ago. Not much to look at though.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 4:47 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Was there any frost during your cold snap ? What kind of overhead protection does it get ? I know I want to find a cold hardy Dypsis haha 

I would try Dypsis Prestoniana. 

Get it up to a 15....  which takes a little while and it will have a fighting chance.

6 hours ago, TomJ said:

I would try Dypsis Prestoniana. 

Get it up to a 15....  which takes a little while and it will have a fighting chance.

Thanks Tom I'm gonna look into them =) There fairly large dypsis right? 

T J 

13 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thanks Tom I'm gonna look into them =) There fairly large dypsis right? 

Yes large. 

Mine handle low humidity (probably love humidity if we had it), direct sun, and overnight lows in the mid to upper 30's for weeks and look fine.

7 hours ago, TomJ said:

Yes large. 

Mine handle low humidity (probably love humidity if we had it), direct sun, and overnight lows in the mid to upper 30's for weeks and look fine.

At what temp would I have to protect it once its established? 

T J 

16 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

At what temp would I have to protect it once its established? 

here it gets down to 31' or 32' a hand full of overnight lows each Winter.  It is UN-phased by that.

It handles light  frosts without visible damage.

Last Winter it saw mid 30's to low 40's for several months on end with no warming events tossed in. 

During those events daytime highs would be in 50's or low 60's.

This is from my home weather station last February.   Did have two days that got into the 80's so numbers look a little misleading. Whole month was cool/cold.

Personal Weather Station Dashboard   Weather Underground.png

Edited by TomJ
Not good at uploading images