IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silas_Sancona

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree.. both make sense, and i always explain both to clients.. Trust me, once i finally get my own thing going ( don't get me started, lol ) it will be the #1 " rule of law " that up-to date- binomial names are used, as much as possible, by all.. While not all are easy to pronounce.. most people are already quite familiar with things like  Oleander, Eucalyptus, Bougainvillea.. That's a step in the right direction towards building better confidence in getting your customers/clients more familiarized with more complex names.. Even if you don't always get the name perfect every time.

I usually miss a syllable the first time I publicly say the scientific name, but people are forgiving.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amh said:

Does anyone know the true cold hardiness for Hesperoyucca whipplei?

In CA. these things grow in places that regularly get wayy down into the teens each winter, -like 10F-16F range..  Imagine you shouldn't have any trouble with it where you're at.

FYI, if you weren't already aware, there are two forms.. the typical, which dies completely after flowering, and H. w. var. caespitosa, which will pup after flowering. Both look exactly the same to me.

Just now, Silas_Sancona said:

In CA. these things grow in places that regularly get wayy down into the teens each winter, -like 10F-16F range..  Imagine you shouldn't have any trouble with it where you're at.

FYI, if you weren't already aware, there are two forms.. the typical, which dies completely after flowering, and H. w. var. caespitosa, which will pup after flowering. Both look exactly the same to me.

I've seen them described as hardy to 10F, but had seen a few reports of them being only hardy to 9A. I didn't know that there were two forms. I've got a few seedlings, but I'm not aware of the type.

1 minute ago, amh said:

I've seen them described as hardy to 10F, but had seen a few reports of them being only hardy to 9A. I didn't know that there were two forms. I've got a few seedlings, but I'm not aware of the type.

Once i'm back in CA..  i'll have access to seed/ smaller plants of both types. A really neat plant.

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Once i'm back in CA..  i'll have access to seed/ smaller plants of both types. A really neat plant.

I had bought seed from tradewindsfruit, but I don't know who their supplier is.

Do you have any knowledge on Yucca lacandonica, the idea of a epiphytic yucca really interest me.

3 minutes ago, amh said:

I had bought seed from tradewindsfruit, but I don't know who their supplier is.

Do you have any knowledge on Yucca lacandonica, the idea of a epiphytic yucca really interest me.

I have bought from them in the past, but not Yucca seed..  You might contact some places out in CA. that sell seeds of natives,  though, looking at a couple places, looks like most places don't specify which variety they're offering as it seems everyone just sells both varieties as whipplei..  Inaturalist and Calflora don't even list the Caespitosa variety of the species, but Calflora lists a var. parishii.. which i can't remember hearing of.. weird.. :interesting:

Interesting, that is a new one to me.. An epiphytic Yucca would be cool for sure..

3 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Interesting, that is a new one to me.. An epiphytic Yucca would be cool for sure..

When I was in high school there was a native yucca growing on a live oak, but I think it might have been intentionally planted.

Is this a Yucca?
Looks more related to Dasylirion wheeleri to me, but it’s not(?): drastically skinnier trunk, deeper green foliage, much less stiff. 

147DEA12-DEEC-43A8-A403-0BF696B74A75.jpeg

4866408F-4195-4354-8F37-3A832451A662.jpeg

24A9A765-D18F-4964-886C-CB78633F5E87.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RyManUtah said:

Is this a Yucca?
Looks more related to Dasylirion wheeleri to me, but it’s not(?): drastically skinnier trunk, deeper green foliage, much less stiff. 

147DEA12-DEEC-43A8-A403-0BF696B74A75.jpeg

4866408F-4195-4354-8F37-3A832451A662.jpeg

24A9A765-D18F-4964-886C-CB78633F5E87.jpeg

That might actually be a Nolina..  possibly bigelovii

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That might actually be a Nolina..  possibly bigelovii

Thanks @Silas_Sancona - browsing the genus, what I saw most closely resembles ‘matapensis’, though I won’t claim an ID not being sure ha. 
I’m wondering if it’s what is commonly sold around here at big box as ‘beargrass’.. :bummed:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RyManUtah said:

Thanks @Silas_Sancona - browsing the genus, what I saw most closely resembles ‘matapensis’, though I won’t claim an ID not being sure ha. 
I’m wondering if it’s what is commonly sold around here at big box as ‘beargrass’.. :bummed:

Yea, lol.. I was looking at the pictures over, ..and over, ..and over again  trying to narrow down which species fit best,  and i'm still not 100%, lol.   ..but, assuming the leaves had no teeth ( appeared to be tooth-less in the pics ) Nolina would fit, though the trunks still look a bit skinny..  ..that could be more due to how the plants are maintained more than anything else that comes to mind. 

Didn't think of N. matapensis, but that's def. another possibility..  Have heard that one is hard to get ahold of,  so if that's what these are, consider your find a really good one. 

..And yes, " Beargrass " is what most places sell Nolina as in a good %' age of generic nurseries.. ( have seen Dasylirion miss- labeled as Bear Grass as well in a few places also, grr, lol ) They should be more specific, imo.. but, we know how that goes w/ how various places choose to label things:indifferent:

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 8:40 PM, amh said:

Does anyone know the true cold hardiness for Hesperoyucca whipplei?

I would imagine 5f-10f easily. Their native to my area,  zone 8b. 

• Like 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Hesperia, CA  Yucca Brevifolia & sage bush?

20200114_165952.thumb.jpg.6580363b341d0a04cc48d6ff73a3b6fe.jpg

20200114_170009.thumb.jpg.f2d35fbc99de03fecab8f92f807acdc5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

14 minutes ago, James760 said:

Hesperia, CA  Yucca Brevifolia & sage bush?

20200114_165952.thumb.jpg.6580363b341d0a04cc48d6ff73a3b6fe.jpg

20200114_170009.thumb.jpg.f2d35fbc99de03fecab8f92f807acdc5.jpg

First pic is Y. brevifolia and some pretty old CA. Juniper.

Second has both, and what does look like one of the Sagebrush ( Artemisia ) sp.. ( not sure which though, Sand, Calif., and Big ( Great Basin ) Sagebrush apparently all occur out there. Cali. Sagebrush has finer, long needle-like greenish foliage, and an almost lavender-like scent..  Big Sagebrush has wider leaves, ( kind of look like a Duck's foot ) tends to be more silvery blue, and smells more musky..  Sand Sagebrush resembles the more common CA. species.  Can see what looks like some sort of Buckwheat ( Eriogonium sp. = brownish- green " bushes ", closest to the road/trail ). Hard to tell for sure from this distance though, and could be Sagebrush also.

• Like 2

@Silas_Sancona, I like having you on palmtalk :D 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great thread! I am growing around 20 different kinds of Yucca (I love these!) but my favorite is also among the most ordinary ones: the Yucca Recurvafolia! I got a few from the local Lowes one day and put them in the ground. Nothing could phase these: Full sun, deep freeze, shade, drought, and even complete neglect still have them look good. It was one of the first plants I planted when I moved to Texas. This plant basically got me excited about gardening and palms (like a gateway drug). It gave me confidence as a beginner gardener that I could keep things alive in the garden. Also, this plant, with its broad, weeping leaves, has a very tropical feel to it. Put a few in select spots and it'll start to feel like a jungle real soon!

Yucca.jpg

Edited by Swolte
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Just came across this thread.. don't know how I missed it!  Great topic...  yucca is prolly the most planted " exotic " locally.. 

My current favorites i want to add to my yard are pallida and aloifolia...   I like the pallida because it stays neat and has that awesome blue color. The aloifolia.. because its like a miniature form of faxonuana.  

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Three yucca rostrata’s of mine....

9F87B48B-477A-4B0E-BAA4-EDAC49E59696.thumb.jpeg.571d8086cef3f6dda289dbe151c0c93a.jpeg

These two were saved from bulk trash pickup as crazy as that sounds.  The roots were completely rotted out.  They’ve since grown about a foot a piece.

CE322DFD-B3F9-479A-A1C1-81CF9DB08ABC.thumb.jpeg.189b8c3e4ac03543e5dcb516f1b1ea87.jpeg

35309F6C-7AC0-4DCE-A821-D80F7864C011.thumb.jpeg.e706d1dd0890bdbb61d7419efd95849b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I need your help in identifying some Yucca plants. I collected some seeds during a trip through AZ and NM in September 2019 . Got some small seedlings and now I want to give them the right ID.

First impression is they all look the same but it's hard to see differences between Y. glauca, angustissima and baileyi. Hope someone can tell their true names. Last picture is a wonderful barrel cactus I want to grow pottet in my climate.  Any idea?

Thank you.

Eckhard

8629 Tent Rocks.jpg

8823 Rio Grande CG.jpg

9436 Petriefied Forest.jpg

9554 Petrified Forest.jpg

Barrel Saguaro NP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

49 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi all,

I need your help in identifying some Yucca plants. I collected some seeds during a trip through AZ and NM in September 2019 . Got some small seedlings and now I want to give them the right ID.

First impression is they all look the same but it's hard to see differences between Y. glauca, angustissima and baileyi. Hope someone can tell their true names. Last picture is a wonderful barrel cactus I want to grow pottet in my climate.  Any idea?

Thank you.

Eckhard

8629 Tent Rocks.jpg

8823 Rio Grande CG.jpg

9436 Petriefied Forest.jpg

9554 Petrified Forest.jpg

Barrel Saguaro NP.jpg

Great choices..

Leaning either Yucca baileyi or angustissima personally.. Y. glauca has none of the hairs on the leaves ( Have a big specimen/ com. pot of seedlings ) Depending on what part of AZ/ NM you visited may help further narrow down which sp. though there may be overlap/ potential crosses if both species occur where you collected seed ( look over Inaturalist range maps ).

Thinking the Ferocactus is F. wizlizeni.. The other -very common- AZ Fero., F. cylindraceus typically has yellow flowers ( never seen any cultivated/ wild specimens w/ red-red/orange flowers myself ). Regardless, if you wish to grow them, pretty easy but  plant in a soil mix with less than 20% -anything organics/ fine sand- / high in grit, gravel, pumice, lava, ..etc.   Both grow on soil derived of Lava or Granite here. Once past seedling size ( if you start from seed, kind of slow at though, will take several years to reach flowering size.. ) soil should be kept almost completely dry through the winter ( wet soil + wet/cold/freezing conditions can = rot ).. Only have a couple Barrels myself  atm but haven't watered them since November.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Nathan,

thought the name of the pictures would be visible. Locations starting from top:

Tent-Rocks National Monument - close to Santa FE NM
Camping Rio Grande Gorge - Rio Grande Gorge SP - south of Taos NM
Petriefied Forrest Road - close to the crossing of R66 AZ
Petriefied Forrest - Blue Mesa AZ
Barrel cactus - Saguaro NP - AZ

Our trip started in Phoenix with a Segway tour through the Senoran desert. I love the dry deserts and its vegetation. You live in a paradise.
Found seeds of a elata x schottii cross but unfortunately the seedlings died as our neighbours cat was chewing them.

I have some more pictures where I might need help but first I have to organize everything.

Thanks for your help.

Eckhard

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Nathan,

thought the name of the pictures would be visible. Locations starting from top:

Tent-Rocks National Monument - close to Santa FE NM
Camping Rio Grande Gorge - Rio Grande Gorge SP - south of Taos NM
Petriefied Forrest Road - close to the crossing of R66 AZ
Petriefied Forrest - Blue Mesa AZ
Barrel cactus - Saguaro NP - AZ

Our trip started in Phoenix with a Segway tour through the Senoran desert. I love the dry deserts and its vegetation. You live in a paradise.
Found seeds of a elata x schottii cross but unfortunately the seedlings died as our neighbours cat was chewing them.

I have some more pictures where I might need help but first I have to organize everything.

Thanks for your help.

Eckhard

Aside from the heat in summer here, agree, the entire region, stretching from roughly Santa Barbara to Southern Utah/ Colorado, down through the Hill Country in Texas.. on south into Mexico offers up some pretty spectacular -and varied scenery ..and far more plant diversity than most people would imagine. Desert definitely isn't boring when you take the time to see everything in it.

Will have to look over those spots to see which Yucca sp. fits best.. Regardless, sounds like you had some time to take it all in, over a pretty broad area of the region.. 

Hi Nathan,

Yes, was a great time. 3 weeks by mobile home.  Our trip was: Phoenix-Saguaro NP- Tompstone-Chiricahua Mountains-Carlsbad Cavern-Roswell-White Sands-Albuquerque-Tent Rocks-Santa Fe-Bandelier N.M.-Rio Grande Gorge-Taos (Ballon Ride through the Rio Grande Gorge-Navajo Dam-Mesa Verde-Four Corners-Shiprock-Gallup-Petriefied Forest-Sedona-Lake Pleasant. Weather was not too bad.

I wish I could have been there for longer as I'm sure we haven't seen everything. As well I would have collected more seeds as I have seen so many Yucca seed pots......:yay: But if you travel together with your wife:badday:

Eckhard

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Nathan,

sorry if I ask but could you already identify these Yuccas?

Thanks

Eckhard

99% certain yours are Y. baileyi. Occurs is all the spots you visited ( except Phoenix and/or Tucson ) Leaves are narrower than Y. angustissima.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your identification. So I still have to look for seeds of  a few smaller ones. Two years ago this wouldn't have been a problem but today no chance in Europe.

After three nights down to -15°C /5°F there will be some free space in spring.

Eckhard

here is a yucca glauca i planted in the fall near kirkland lake , ontario, canada...

second pic is a wider view of where it is situated

unfortunately my friend checked up on it a day or two later and he said animals had been messing with it

i bought the seeds from RPS... and ordered more just recently in case they did not make it

i also have a couple yucca rostrata here in my indoor grow space which are not the happiest after being overwatered

also they are in peat and perlite which i have since read they hate peat

after letting them dry out a bit they seem to have perked up a bit

i will post a pic of them once they start to look better

IMG-4186.jpg.b509dc00442bed10ab5bace1a5419e17.jpg

IMG-4187.jpg.85aae1bac5561074a694bc04f3f0d567.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Nick,

These rostratas look great. Hope they didn't suffer to much from the blizzard. Saw in the EPS forum that Texas is damned cold at this time.

My Y. rostrata are still seedlings and I wonder how they survived our last days with temps down to -15°C/5 °F. Today it startet to heat up again and the forecast for the weekend is 15°C/59°F. Hopefully my Yuccas will survive, not sure about the Trachies.

Unfortunately my experiences with RPS are different. Buying fresh palm seeds often leads to good germination but with Yuccas I never had success. Also their minimum order value and single prices stop me from buying there at the moment.

And currently the ones I'm looking for most (Y. faxoniana, cernua and nana) are imposible to find as seeds as it's impossible to import seedlings to Germany. But I have guy in Switzerland who never had problems so in some cases he's my rescue.

Eckhard

• Like 2

During a rolling blackout I took a drive 2 days ago, there was a steep hill that 2WD cars made down, but not back up. My truck made it past but they closed it down on the way back. I ended up taking the scenic multihour route. Pictures are from Lago Vista, Marble Falls, Burnet , and other areas in between in Texas. The first picture is the hill with stuck cars.

I spotted a patch of Agave Asperrima, Yucca Treculeana, Filamentosa, Thompsoniana, Rostrata, and a few massive Yucca Torreyi in a landscape. The head diameter was equal to a 6 foot man, the tallest trunk atleast 15 feet tall. 

BAA9013F-95BA-4EAC-B160-4D4229756526.jpeg

81978E22-1730-4816-8C8D-5755BA881793.jpeg

E7BFE819-3BC9-48F1-8B1E-6561D5B60179.jpeg

EFE764C5-0363-4FF6-A7F4-139DF0A8EBD9.jpeg

7D152410-7366-4EFB-8CFC-C1A7897F60BA.jpeg

B9B316F6-A91D-40C9-B3BE-2D872C094F65.jpeg

5FD1E8B0-098D-4541-A955-B7F71E195C25.jpeg

4645BAB1-1118-4BC1-AF3F-6127F29EDA3C.jpeg

87FF1CE8-BE4F-4A48-8C86-9C771EC14B38.jpeg

F45163A7-D069-40BB-9D94-6532A4C4BED9.jpeg

B002BE87-F0BC-43A0-BD58-5B0D6B7FAEF8.jpeg

89F21CBD-A157-431B-961E-81A32D4096AE.jpeg

807B796E-A9D1-4E4D-A588-81F04EBC989B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Wonderful pictures of Yuccas in the snow. For sure they will keep growing.

Eckhard

Thanks. Yes, I don’t think the Yucca were even phased. Temperatures in that area dropped to 2-3*F(-16.5 to -16*C) for 2 consecutive nights. 

So quite similar to my area where we had two nights with -15°C/5°F. First look into the garden showed no damages. Even my two bigger Trachies don't seem to be damaged too much.

Keep us updated.

I love Yuccas so much.

Eckhard

• Like 1

Yucca utahensis  

(Yucca angustissima var. utahensis)

A34A12CE-C71E-4D35-B643-BB5D64BE45C1.jpeg.8c278f98c8e67c78fbd5ef3477c13cbd.jpeg

A31BFBD9-1059-435F-AC60-AB4BEBF5B850.jpeg.1013f8697cb44bc97e671e3fe12079d8.jpeg

883170F0-01A7-4D09-A276-4D9D2660C785.thumb.jpeg.bcfdad7417b06952e1166aefffdc7497.jpeg

DAA98B24-38DD-41C3-B308-9D7B582AE451.thumb.jpeg.dec8491e7b605a8e6728737bb52fd761.jpeg

FCAE9CA0-43A2-4405-B078-5AEA17A75B0E.jpeg.0f17b536344544e2cc45dfc3a2b3d443.jpeg

Yucca baccata var. vespertina 

774F51F6-CBB5-4371-9351-8B2C8DEB683B.jpeg.49161fd6edb8240592dfe1e1a9dd10f8.jpeg

BFF977F6-9FF6-42B0-A0B1-8FCDF5588BD2.jpeg.83c8eb91c52838d47b8854b4c3227c1b.jpeg

D01F5FFF-BB33-45B4-88A4-88A5A252D1CD.jpeg.b8c4a1050c234c24df4bfb8d37dc4884.jpeg

141B1EE4-6FD2-45A5-A252-60969E0A7256.jpeg.8497efc7d972f581c63971a861d12f90.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3